Author Topic: 15mo waking multiple times. Need support with sleep training  (Read 3156 times)

Offline kamada

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
15mo waking multiple times. Need support with sleep training
« on: November 15, 2015, 01:27:29 am »
My 15 month old has never slept through the night. A good night is waking 1-2 times for a feed. The last few weeks have been especially bad (he has had a cold, vaccinations and is teething canines) so waking maybe 4 times a night. The multiple wake ups and lack of sleep is taking its toll on the whole family so I really need to address it.

I try to resettle without a feed before midnight or within 3h of last feed.  Doesn't always work! Am I best to just drop all night feeds? I don't mind feeding once but don't want to confuse him and I know he doesn't really need it. His only other feed is at bedtime, though he's not fed to sleep. Falls asleep independently for nighttime and nap time (approx 2h, up by 3pm for 7.30 bedtime).

Looking for advice and support please x

Offline KatyBee

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 15mo waking multiple times. Need support with sleep training
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 15:39:09 pm »
Hugs! The frequent nightwakings are so tough.

With my son this was connected with being fed to sleep & it mostly stopped as soon as I stopped doing that, but obviously that is not the case for your son.

Is he waking at specific intervals? My son used to do it every 90 mins when he hit his light sleep cycle for eg......Or is it more random that?

Offline LRS431

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 19:38:07 pm »
Your son sounds like my daughter. At 12 months she has never slept through and a good night is 1 - 2 waking so (feeds to get back to sleep). I'm about to start sleep training too.

Offline kamada

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 22:38:24 pm »
Thanks both of you. The sleep deprivation is hard, isn't it.

Wakings are pretty random, though I guess it's usually every 3ish hrs. Some nights he'll wake after half hr, on really bad nights it's an hr or 2 of waking every few mins, but if I'm sleeping next to his bed I can just tell him its Ok and he nods off again, like he needs the reassurance that I'm there (only happens occasionally and I think related to blocked nose. Pain meds don't solve it).

Last night was a typical "good" night. BT approx 7.30. Woke 11.15 and 2ish. Fed both times. WU 6.30.

Offline adkillip

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 14:36:08 pm »
Your little ones sound like my little guy...helps the frustration that he's not the only one. He also has never slept thru the night and his good nites are waking 1-2 times. Everysince is birthday we have been having a worse time of it. waking 3-4 times a night and after trying everything to get him back down I resort to breastfeeding. At 1 yr i have weaned him off breast milk during day and onto cow's milk, not sure if this was the reason for the worsening of nightwakings?
Love to hear how you do your sleep training and how you fare. Would like to do the same.

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 15:19:16 pm »
Hi there,

It sounds like the WUs to BF could be habit now, esp since he's nodding off independently.

So he has a 2hr nap at 1pm, and BT is at 7.30pm.  Is that when he's asleep?  What time does he get up in the morning?

I think at this age, and since he's already an independent sleeper otherwise, your best plan would probably be to just go for it and stop the NFs completely.  Just resettle with your voice or a hand/rub/shh if necessary.  Whatever does the trick for him :)  I think once you do that, you'll probably find he wakes much less often.

My DD2 was still having NFs (v similar to yours) at 16 mos but I really needed more sleep!  So I stopped them completely. She got quite upset the first night when I tried to settle her w/o feeding, but resettled much more quickly the second night and by the 3rd/4th night (I've forgotten now) she didn't ask for milk at all (might have even slept through).  She sleeps through quite often now although we do get NWs still when she has a bit of a cold (and when she was teething).

Just one other qn - how long does he feed for atm at the NWs and do you feed him back to sleep?  If you are feeding back to sleep, and/or for quite a while, you could try shortening the feeds first for a couple of days, and making sure you don't feed back to sleep.  But it's probably not really necessary and you could just try resettling from night 1 without any feed.

HTH

Let us know how you get on :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline kamada

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 00:50:04 am »
Thankyou! Sorry to those of you going through the same thing. You expect this sort of thing with a young baby, but don't really think it'll go on quite this long. With DS1 the night feed just got later and later until he eventually slept through (about 15mths), so I never had to actively sleep train. Kind of dreading it TBH.

Thanks so much, Cath. I think you're right that dropping the night feed completely is the way to go, though it's not going to be easy!! Recently he's started pointing to my chair in his room, saying "mi" (milk), so it's very obvious what he wants! (Other times he's happy with a quick cuddle or a sip of water). The last few nights I've given his bedtime feed in my room instead of his, so I'll continue that and take the chair away when we start. Aiming for Friday night at this stage. Last night was dreadful and his nose is running again, so hopefully he'll be over the worst by then.

He usually wakes around 7/7.30 (though have had a couple of 6ish WU recently), then nap is approx 5hr later (or at 12 if EW), depending on what we're up to. I wake him by 3 if he's still asleep, with the aim of 7.30 BT. Mon and Wed I have to wake him at 2.15 (kindy pick up), so BT 7. Once things are settled I'll probably just aim for a set nap around 12.15/12.30. He usually falls asleep pretty quickly at BT, though some nights if UT/OT he might take 20mins- throwing his lovey out of the bed and undoing his sleep sack!

NFs are probably 15min or so. He's usually fed back to sleep, or until he stops feeding on his own. Sometimes I'll try to cut him off but usually he just clamps on and gets cross. Some feeds he has both sides and sometimes only one. I'll see if I can reduce it a little over the next few nights.

Thanks so much for your help xx

Offline cath~

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 10:11:14 am »
he's started pointing to my chair in his room, saying "mi" (milk), so it's very obvious what he wants!
Ah - that was what DD2 was calling "milk" too!  (Now she can say it a bit better).

Kind of dreading it TBH.
Yeah, I felt the same but TBH I think if you are consistent and esp since your LO already nods off indepently at BT and naptime, then it should be relatively quick.  With DD2, the first night it took about an hour for me to resettle her at the first NW (and she cried quite a bit but of course I was with her and reassuring her) and then it got progressively better very quickly.  They can undertand a lot and once they grasp a new rule, they can accept it quite quickly.

Aiming for Friday night at this stage. Last night was dreadful and his nose is running again, so hopefully he'll be over the worst by then.
Yes, good plan to wait until his cold is over and he's feeling better.  You don't want to take away his comfort when he's feeling rubbish.

NFs are probably 15min or so. He's usually fed back to sleep, or until he stops feeding on his own. Sometimes I'll try to cut him off but usually he just clamps on and gets cross. Some feeds he has both sides and sometimes only one. I'll see if I can reduce it a little over the next few nights.
Good idea.  There are some ideas about reducing NFs here:
PANTLEY'S GENTLE REMOVAL PLAN

Let us know when you're ready to start and we'll be here to hold your hand :) x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline kamada

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 00:33:55 am »
It's reassuring to know it might only take a few nights. Though he is spirited and rather strong-willed, so I'm prepared for the worst just in case.

We were all set to start tonight, but then last night he had his best night ever: one WU (fed) at 1am then back to sleep until after 7! It may be a one-off, but if not I think we'll make the most of some catch up nights sleep first and then tackle it. Will see what tonight brings and go from there. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help x

Offline cath~

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 14:40:56 pm »
how are things going? x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline kamada

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 07:02:56 am »
Thanks for checking. Of course it was just a one-off that hasn't been repeated! Since then we've had a few bad nights with several NW and a few where he's woken twice. I'm mostly managing to feed him only once per night though, so progress at least. Hoping once we're over our colds things will click into place, otherwise it'll be time to address it properly

Offline cath~

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 13:35:41 pm »
Sounds like you're making progress despite the colds. And you have a plan to address things should they need it after the colds, which is great.  I always find it's easier to deal with things once you have a plan :)

Hope you're all feeling better soon x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline kamada

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 08:08:10 am »
Thanks. Yes having a plan definitely helps. I've also realised I've sometimes been offering a feed when he probably just needed comfort, so holding back on that has helped. Last night I stayed in bed for 7 continuous hours- probably for the first time in 16 months! It feels good  :)

Offline cath~

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 13:06:19 pm »
7hrs - lovely! :D
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline kamada

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 07:13:40 am »
Unfortunately better nights haven't happened on their own like I was hoping for, so we're making the push for no more night feeds starting now. I'm sure it won't be an easy night; the little guy sure loves his milk. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I fear.

Offline kamada

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 23:42:35 pm »
We did it! Two NW but no milk :) It didn't even take him very long to go back to sleep- just a big drink of water and a cuddle. Yay!

Offline cath~

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 09:21:15 am »
That's brilliant!  Well done you!  How have the last few nights gone? 
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline kamada

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 01:28:20 am »
Thanks :) He's still waking but is quick to resettle and isn't asking for milk anymore, but has a big drink of water. Last night I think he only woke once (though of course DS1 woke once as well ::) ) Pretty good considering he has a very snotty nose. Hoping for sleeping through once that clears up.

Offline cath~

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 09:04:33 am »
fantastic :D
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old