Author Topic: 2 months today - struggling with 3hr EASY!  (Read 1477 times)

Offline cathyandivy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2 months today - struggling with 3hr EASY!
« on: November 15, 2015, 08:04:59 am »
Hello. Looking for advice regarding amount of formula and the 3hr EASY routine.

My son is 2 months old today and generally a lot easier than number 1! However, for the last two weeks we have been struggling to get more than 3oz down him during the majority of his daytime feeds which is making sticking to a 3hr EASY day very difficult. An example of his 'routine' is below, this was our day yesterday which was actually a bit better in terms of intake but he was still a bit all over the place- my main question is - if he is refusing bottles after 3hrs or only taking 2-3 ozs, what is going wrong? Should I try putting him on a 3.5 EASY? Bigger teat? He is a big baby - weighing over 12lbs at 7 weeks and up until two weeks ago was eating around 34-37ozs in a 24 hour period. The average total over the last two weeks has been more like 23oz. Any thought? Many thanks in advance. It might also be worth mentioning that the first feed of the day is the hardest - sometimes I can't get anything down him or just an 1oz. His naps are a bit hit and miss and generally get better as the day goes on.

DF - 10.30 4.5oz
Night feed - 3.15am

6.30 - 1oz
8.45 - 4oz
11.30 - 4.5oz
2.00 - 4oz
5.00 - 4oz
7.00 - 2oz
DF - 4oz

Offline cathyandivy

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 2 months today - struggling with 3hr EASY!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:42:05 am »
Me again! Not sure I made it clear in the previous post - but basically the short and little feeds and short naps are resulting in AEAS rather than EASY. This is because when he wakes from his short nap he isn't hungry so I have to wait until he is by which time he is tired so I can only follow the eating with a short activity time - then we are in a cycle of AEAS! Help!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 21:26:31 pm »
I would try the next size teat first and see if that helps. If it doesn't I would then try the 3.5 hour EASY, however you won't get a proper EASY as his A times will not be long enough just yet so you will have to do EASAES for a bit longer.

How are his feeds- are they calm and comfortable or is he struggling to feed?

How long are his A times now? Short napping can be because of not enough A time.... or too long!

Laura

Offline cathyandivy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 16:23:19 pm »
Hi Laura

Thank tou so much for the reply.

We have just changed to a bigger tear which seems to have solved the problem for now in terms of intake but still struggling with naps.

Today he managed two 1 hour naps and a 45 min. He normally wakes up like clockwork after 45 mins. Have tried wake to sleep but with little success.

A time is always about an hour.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 16:40:54 pm »
Glad the teats have helped!

Sounds like he needs a bit of anA time increase, I would increase it gradually by 5 mins at a time over a few days to see what the best A time for a decent nap is. At 8 weeks the most common A time is about 1 hour 15 mins, have a look at this link.
chronological EASY samples, 0-3 months

Laura