Author Topic: 8 week old  (Read 3815 times)

Offline grace annes mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« on: November 15, 2015, 16:48:04 pm »
Hi there,
Josephine will be 8 weeks tomorrow and she is not a napper.  :P  Honestly, we've been doing a VERY loose EASY with lots of winging it for naps throughout the day - sling, carseat, etc. but she is more and more aware and it's getting harder to settle on the go now.  I do at least try to get her in the crib for one nap and actually she is not a bad independent sleeper if I catch her in the right tiredness window.  Regardless of where she is napping, they are short.  Usually the 40 minute single sleep cycle deal.  Often, for her crib naps, she'll wake up after 10 or 20 minutes - I'm guessing at the jolts?  Often, she short naps all day, then crashes in the late afternoon.  Yesterday, for instance, she had short naps all day, then crashed in the sling around 5pm.  I was able to rouse her a bit at 7pm to eat but only a couple ounces.  She was completely out for the night.  Then, of course, had a very unsettled sleep from about 4:30am onwards. 
I do have an older DD, so I really can't spend all day settling for naps, etc.and it is necessary she does some naps on the go.  But I would like to give it some time this week while DD1 is at school and see if we can get closer to a routine.  The short naps are just not restorative for her, yk?
I'm guessing shh/pat is the way to go?  It's been a long time since I did this with DD1 (and wasn't fully successful then due to undiagnosed reflux/allergies mixed with a touchy/spirited personality).  Do I stay thru all the jolts and the 40 minute mark for the first couple days to keep her sleeping?  What A time should I start with?
Any help coming up with a game plan is much appreciated!  Not looking for a perfect EASY but at least one good restorative nap would be great.
TIA!!

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
Re: 8 week old
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 01:13:47 am »
Do I stay thru all the jolts and the 40 minute mark for the first couple days to keep her sleeping?
That's probably where I would start. I would set a time limit you're willing to try for and then just get her up after that if the resettle doesn't work.

It's hard to say where to start with A time as it can vary pretty widely at that age. How much A time has she been having? I would maybe stick with the time that's working for getting her to get to sleep easily. If you've tried for a few days to extend with no luck, maybe try pushing it a bit.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 01:18:36 am »
Ok, thanks!

I've been doing more cue watching than clock watching but I think around 1 hr 15 has been a good A time (at least for the first nap, shorter as the day goes on with the short naps).  So I'll start there. 

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 20:00:20 pm »
That sounds like a good plan.

I can't believe she's 8 weeks already!
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 01:35:30 am »
I can't believe she's 8 weeks already!
I know! Amazing! Nice to be at this point, just doing normal baby stuff like dealing with naps.  :D

So, I hung out in her room for naps today.  I feel like we got a good start.  Today's the first day I've bothered jotting down her EASY and that was definitely helpful.  I'm including ozs too just for myself bc of some feeding/breastfeeding stuff.  I'll start with last night:

Sunday -
short naps all day (so tough on weekends with DD1)
7pm - 4oz EBM - fell asleep on bottle but kept waking up in bassinet - seems to be the pattern when OT, she's hard to settle for bt
7:45pm - gave another 1.5 oz - woke once more
Asleep for the night around 8:15

NF 4:15 3oz
Woke at 6am but dozed in bed with me til 6:30

Monday-
WU 6:30am
E 6:30 4oz
A (1 hr 25mins)
S 7:55 to 8:45
*had her in bed at 1hr 15 A time, she had the hiccups and needed some patting.  She woke at 8:40 but replugged and slept only 5 more minutes.  Tried to resettle for about 5 more minutes, but she wasn't having it.  Thinking this may have been an UT nap?*

E 9:15 3.5oz
A (1 hr 30 min)
S 10:15 off/on, 10:30 to 11:10, 11:55 to 12:25
*in bed at 10am, needed 15 mins of patting and had to pick her up a couple times before she nodded off.  Then had no pat intermittently every 5 mins or so til 10:30. Slept til 11:10 then tried to resettle til 11:55 when I picked her up and sat in the rocking chair.  She was clearly tired, kept nodding off and waking up as I worked on resettling.  Finally rocked her for a few mins, then put her back in the crib but she woke up shortly after.  Thinking OT nap here.*

E 12:30 4oz
A (1hr 20min)
S 1:45-1:55, 2:00 to 4:30 with several shh/pats.  woke her up at 4:30pm
*Had her in the crib at 1:30 and needed about 15 mins to fall asleep.  Basically, she needed patting every 10 or 20 minutes through the jolts for this nap until 3:15.  After that, she slept until I woke her up at 4:30*

E 4:30pm 4oz
A (1 hr 5 min)
S 5:35 til 6:35 - in the ergo, woke her up
*Was hard to wake up and pretty grumpy thru next A time.*

E 7pm 3oz
S fell asleep with bottle, in bassinet at 7:30pm
*Didn't have to resettle like last night*

So, seems like she needs a good 10 or 15 mins to settle for naps.  And a lot of encouragement thru jolts and sleep cycles.  Not sure what to aim as far as an A time.  That first nap seemed UT to me, but the rest were definitely OT until the last one in the ergo.  All in all a pretty good day for her.  I definitely cannot hang out in her room for all her naps forever though.   :P  Is the idea that patting thru these jolts and sleep cycles will teach her to keep sleeping?  At what point can I remove myself?

Thanks for having a look!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:40:46 am by grace annes mommy »

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 02:07:29 am »
So, seems like she needs a good 10 or 15 mins to settle for naps.  And a lot of encouragement thru jolts and sleep cycles.
Sounds like my DD. She jolted lots. She was really strong so I ended up putting her on her tummy and that helped a lot with the jolts. I also used the swing quite a bit with both LOs (very helpful with LO2 to be freed up for LO1!) and it didn't become a prop.

Is the idea that patting thru these jolts and sleep cycles will teach her to keep sleeping?  At what point can I remove myself?
That is the idea. She is quite young so it may take quite a bit. I would try it for a few days and see if there's any progress and then re-evaluate. Since you can't live in her room with another LO around, I wouldn't sweat it if you need to do some APOPing it is early days yet. If she doesn't resettle with patting would she go back to sleep in a sling? That worked well for my DS.

UT and OT can be tough to sort out when they're so small. Since she's going to sleep within reasonable amount of time, I would stick with 1h15 for now.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 01:00:00 am »
Well, the last 2 days are a bust.   :P  She had appts. both yesterday and today, plus my mom was here today and we went out.  So... very tricky juggling sleep.  Lots of naps in the ergo (which is fine with me for the most part).  Like I said, not looking for the perfect EASY, but one good nap a day in the crib would be great.  I think I'll work with that first nap of the day since it seems to be the easiest to settle her.  I did in the crib at 1 hr 15 mins for 2 days and got 45 min naps.  Yesterday, when I tried to resettle, she was just lying there smiling at me so I do think UT maybe.  Today, the A time was later unintentionally and it took forever to settle her, then she was up 10 minutes later with a jolt so def OT.  Seems to be  a fine line..

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 01:28:12 am »
I found that the first nap was always easiest with my DD also but it was almost always short. Same as with Josephine - awake a touch too long and she ended up OT jolting so I usually kept that first A short even if the nap was short. DD just seemed to have a narrow sleep window and it was tough to catch it.

Do you swaddle?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 01:46:30 am »
Yep, she's swaddled tight with 2 different types of blankets.  It's ridiculous, but she's a houdini.  Now that I'm thinking of it, DD1 always did a short a.m. nap too.  I wonder if J is following that path.  It's a pain bc I remember never being able to figure out the 2nd A time after that first short nap.  Honestly, DD1 never had a good routine until we hit 1 nap at 12 months.  Then, she stuck with that routine until nearly 5yo! 

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 19:41:14 pm »
It's a pain bc I remember never being able to figure out the 2nd A time after that first short nap
I found that too. With DS, I started shifting to clock-based naps around 6 months when he dropped the CN and it made it so much easier. He's quite different than DD but I do think that approached would have helped with DD too.

Honestly, DD1 never had a good routine until we hit 1 nap at 12 months.  Then, she stuck with that routine until nearly 5yo
I think that's the way some LO's are made and that it doesn't have much to do with what we mamas do or don't do. Some just don't develop that predictability until they are older.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 21:06:05 pm »
Just to chip in, with my LO2, since LO1 was only two, I would often get her into the cot for her first nap and she would nod off, but wake up a bit later, around the 30 or 40 minute mark. I would then pop her into the carrier or the buggy and we would get on with whatever we needed to do.  Oftentimes she would add on some more sleep, but she was also getting practice of sleeping in the cot.  So it worked quite well.

Cuddles to Josephine!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 02:33:30 am »
Thanks ladies!
Another day of nothing but short naps.  I think I will do what you've just suggested and let her have her 1st nap in the crib, then try to extend it by putting her in the ergo and getting the poor dog out for a walk.  I've just been getting her up, but I do think the day will go better if I can get a bit more sleep in her first thing.  She was pretty fussy today and had a lot of trouble settling for bed.  OT for sure..
lilylayne, you've reminded me that at some point I switched to clock based naps for DD1 also.  I can't remember when exactly, but I remember it did work for her.  I did naps by the clock and bed by A time so she wasn't OT headed to bed if she short napped.  J seems to be a very similar napper to GA but a bit better at independent sleep and night time sleep so far.
Still figuring out A times mostly bc I've been too inconsistent.  I find these short A times tricky bc she's a pretty slow eater and then I'm squeezing in meds, diaper changes, etc.  All the sudden I've probably missed her window.  Ah well..

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 19:11:23 pm »
It's hard to fit everything in, isn't it? Especially if you have an LO with a small sleep window. It will get easier as her A time gets longer. Don't worry about being inconsistent. It's tough to keep things the same every day with another LO around.

I think I read somewhere that some LOs are ready for clock-based naps around 5/6 months (and of course later for others). A lot of my IRL friends (and moms on here) found their LOs nap times became more predictable around the 6 month mark.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 19:33:40 pm »
Yea, I've given up on A times.  :P  I'm just trying to keep a rough schedule in mind and if she wakes up after a short nap, I just APOP like crazy to give her a "full" nap.  Or if we're out and the naps a bust, I try to AP the next one to catch her up.  And just giving her chances to self settle when possible.  Having the rough schedule in my mind is helping me a lot as far as planning our day and keeping me sane.  As far as how she's getting the nap, we're in wing-it mode.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 01:11:41 am »
That sounds pretty much the same as what I did with LO2 and exactly like the advice lots of our fellow BWers gave me.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014