Author Topic: Clocks changed, never went back to same WU time :(  (Read 1594 times)

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Clocks changed, never went back to same WU time :(
« on: November 16, 2015, 07:23:10 am »
Hello

I've been here before with this issue, but I can't seem to fix it  :-\
My ds used to wake up at 8am, but ever since the clocks changed  >:( he has been waking anywhere from 7:15 onwards. I tried pushing his BT later, and that made about a half an hour difference and only sometimes, during the week he goes back to waking very early.
I put him down at 9:30pm but he still stays awake in bed until 10ish or later (I hear him).
So we are sth like
WU 7:15/7:30
Nursery 9:15-13:00
Nap 14:30 - 16:15 (I wake him and he looks super sleepy and tired)
BT 9:30.

This is a child that used to sleep around 12/13 hours PLUS a two hour nap up until June! Thanks for listening yet again!  :-\

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Clocks changed, never went back to same WU time :(
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 15:02:54 pm »
Hi there,

How old is he?  I wonder if that nearly 2hr nap, quite late in the day, is causing the problems with nights..  I would guess that he needs less day sleep to lengthen out his nights.  What WU would you ideally be aiming for?  8am?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline KatyBee

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 17:48:15 pm »
I dont know how old you so is, but at 26mo we cut the nap & brought bedtime forward and my son started sleeping later in the morning. Also my son had been struggling to fall asleep like you describe and it instantly helped that too.

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 07:38:47 am »
Sorry, 29mo.
Te reason he naps at that time is that we get back from nursery at 13:15, then we start lunch etc and he eats until 2pm (he takes foreeeever lol) then wind down til 2:30.
How long should that nap last? Have you got any routine suggestions please?
His nap is the only time I can do any work as i work from home so I guess that's why I was elongating and both kids were down on a lucky day but ah well.
I look forward to your routines, thanks x

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 07:46:59 am »
Oh and yes I was aiming for back at 8am.
Which by the way he just morning for the first time since DLS  ???m ::)

Offline cath~

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 09:53:15 am »
Ah, so it seems he's shifted his WU then, that's good :)

What sort of BT would be best for you?  Do you want to bring it earlier?  If WU is at 8am and he's still napping, then BT around 9pm ish would prob be about typical.

At the moment he's not nodding off until 10 or later, right?  So if you want to bring that earlier then you're going to have to cap the nap a bit.  If nap can't be earlier than 2.30, then I'd try a 1hr15 nap and see what BT (asleep time) that gives you.

On the other hand, if you want to keep a longer nap so you can work (which is fine!) you might just have to put up with the later BT. 

What do you think?

DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 15:31:15 pm »
Hi  :)
Well today was the first time since DLS  that he woke at his old usual (8am) so I am not too hopeful just yet  ;)
8am WU and 9pm BT would be great. The most I could make the nap earlier would be 2:15, should I still keep it to 1hr 15 mins? Independently of what time I put him down?
So I am aiming for
8am
2:15-3:30 nap (or 2:30-3:45)
9pm BT
Would that be a good balanced day?
And, if I slack the routine at the weekends, would it ruin everything? Just asking as we usually go out on family outings but I can be stricter as this is the most important thing!
Thanks very much X

Offline cath~

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 15:59:21 pm »
8am WU and 9pm BT would be great. The most I could make the nap earlier would be 2:15, should I still keep it to 1hr 15 mins? Independently of what time I put him down?
Yeah, I think that if he naps around 2.15/2.30 then try capping at 1hr15 and see what happens.  If it's much later though then you'd probably want to cap it a bit more or it could push BT too late.

8am
2:15-3:30 nap (or 2:30-3:45)
9pm BT
Would that be a good balanced day?
Yes, I think it looks good to aim for.  However, you'll have to try it for a bit to see if it suits your LO!  (They're all different ;) )

I'd stick with a 1hr15 nap for a few days and see what time he nods off.  If he seems really tired then of course bring BT earlier.

IMO it really is a bit trial and error for LOs at this stage of things.

And, if I slack the routine at the weekends, would it ruin everything?
I doubt it.  We adjust things when we go out so as not to have to stay in all the time!  It's not really practical is it?  Some LOs are more sensitive to these adjustments than others though so you'll have to try it and see.  By age 2 though they can usually be a bit more flexible with things from time to time, and catch up on sleep at night/the next day if needed.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old