Author Topic: My milk has gone crazy at 5 months!!  (Read 2282 times)

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« on: November 17, 2015, 22:11:46 pm »
Hello, am after a bit of advice. Well, not advice, I'm not sure I need to do anything, but understanding!

I have a 5 month old who is EBF. We are not great at following EASY as he is a bit of a fussy feeder (tongue tied and easily distracted!!) so I feed him on demand. Usually works out between 3 and 5 hours in the day, at night he does a 5ish hour stretch then 2x 3h. All fine. We aren't weaning, haven't dropped feeds. I had oversupply when he was tiny but attributed it to having BF the twins so thought my breasts were primed to make twin volumes, and it all settled down.

In the last week I noticed I was getting uncomfortable - that hot, itchy feeling. Wondered if I was getting mastitis again so started really paying attention and making sure no blocked ducts etc. But it is getting worse and I am now getting really engorged between feeds. And I am leaking and spraying all over the place, and getting random let downs - for example, my big twin was poorly all week and I was getting it from cuddling him!!

Is this normal?! Will it settle down?! Last night I had to wake him to feed as I was in agony!! I don't want to pump or express as I am worried it will make things even worse (and I hate it!) but I don't want to block feed or anything as maybe I need all this milk for something!! So confused - has this happened to anyone else??

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: My milk has gone crazy at 5 months!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 03:57:57 am »
Has LO recently had a GS? have you recently started eating oats or some other galactagogue? If you want a stash, start that otherwise I would be block feeding IIWM. If LO is not drinking it, unlikely you need it, right?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 09:16:44 am »
Yes, I'd say growth spurt too. Hot shower and cold compresses?

I was in a similar situation this morning after our first growth spurt!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:31:02 am »
You could hand express to take the pressure off, that won't stimulate production too much.  Equally a hot bath or shower will encourage a bit of a flow and reduce pressure. 

Bec is on the money with the oats! they can really have an effect.  Avoid any tight clothing, to reduce the chance of blockage.  Cabbage leaves on the breasts do in fact work (mad but good old mother nature, eh).
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/engorgement/

I also notice the coincidence between big twin being ill and this starting.  All those maternal emotions, maybe your body is reacting?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:49:04 pm »
Amazing! Yes, have started having porridge for breakfast - never dreamed it could be that!! And the baby has been pretty hungry so probably a growth spurt. And yes, lots of cuddles with big twin (usually the world's least cuddly toddler). I don't remember anything like this last time but I guess with twins there was always someone to drink it!

If I hand express....do I do it literally until it's not painful any more then stop? And just pop a cabbage leaf in my bra?  :D

The other thing I was thinking is maybe pumping a bit and giving it to the twins - baby won't take a bottle so no use there but the twins, esp big twin, have had one illnessg after another. Would my antibodies have any beneficial effects for them?

MJN I am so jealous of the newborn snuggles!!!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 13:07:34 pm »
Sending you a snuggle then!

I don't see why you couldn't give some to the twins, but just be wary of the effect on your supply unless you want to do it for a while.

I got some lansinoh thingies to deal with engorged breasts - not had to use them yet, but they are there - one bit you put in the freezer and another you can warm up.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline weaver

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 13:54:14 pm »
If I hand express....do I do it literally until it's not painful any more then stop? And just pop a cabbage leaf in my bra?
Yep, just a bit 'off the top' til you feel comfortable.  Catch it in a cup for the twinnies - absolutely yes I would give it to them, BM is amazing stuff and should not be wasted. They will benefit definitely.

If you are going to start pumping (assuming you aren't already), then be very careful about that right now.  A pumping session can be like 'an extra feed' you don't want to stimulate EVEN MORE milk. Perhaps wait til things have settled down a bit and then pump at the end of a feed.

And I'd cut the porridge for now, just to see.  ;)

Oh I miss BFing!!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 15:34:54 pm »
Thank you for the snuggle!!!  :-*

That's a good idea Anne about just hand expressing and catching a bit - definitely don't want to do it long term as I particularly hate pumping! And I guess if I start then it's just another feed i will have to get used to not making. And knowing my twins they would then start demanding it and I would end up having to wean 3 of them when I want to stop!!!

I like breastfeeding too - some days with the twins it felt like they were our only nice moments! They self weaned at about 12 months and I was not ready to stop....hoping I can keep going a bit longer with this little guy!

Offline weaver

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 15:48:10 pm »
I'm going to be sneaky and suggest that you give it to the twins without telling them what it is.  Maybe in a banana smoothie or something like that?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 20:05:33 pm »
Would making it into a smoothie not have the same effect as shaking it? You're not supposed to shake it as it breaks up some of the components .
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 04:07:44 am »
Yes, blending it will blending real up the immune cells, not the best idea when looking for the benefits, best to maybe zap it with a bit of liquid then stir the BM in to get more benefit.

Offline weaver

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 12:12:09 pm »
Where there's a will there's a way!

And hats off for feeding the twins for a year by the way.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 15:04:18 pm »
Thanks Anne - I feel like I don't deserve congratulations though as I was so anxious about germs I couldn't bear the thought of the sterilising!! And I think i gave up a bit easily - I didn't know anyone IRL who carried on past 6 months or so and so what I think was really a little nursing strike by big twin just meant I gave up. Hopefully I can keep going a bit with this one!

Well, after all your great advice and my good intentions, things seem to have settled down. Baby wanted an extra feed overnight at about 11 and had both sides, then again at 3 and again at 7, and has had both sides at every feed today actually which is really unusual for him. I can't describe how lovely and comfy I am!!

I am tempted to express a bit for the twins any way though as i would like to give them a little boost - if I pump after a feed what will that do to me? I only want to do it a couple of times, not forever! But I am planning on doing baby led weaning so I guess I will only need more milk and stimulating my production a bit won't hurt?