Author Topic: Night Feeding  (Read 4746 times)

Offline albers30

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 17, 2015, 23:29:01 pm »
At what age should I expect my baby is waking out of habit at night to feed and not because she needs to.  She's just about 4 months and it often seems she's waking just because and eats out habit and then wants to play before going back to bed.  This is generally after he long stretch of sleep from 8 to 2 or 3am.  If she still needs the feed how can I get her to settle right back into bed after the feed instead of wanting to play.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 23:30:46 pm by albers30 »

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Night Feeding
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:48:20 am »
At 4mo there's a huge growth spurt so even if the LO has previously STTN (ie 5 hrs), they start waking at night to feed again.

If FF we recommend during the day that if they are draining their bottles, to add another oz or two in. If BF, it's a case of going with it until your supply increases to meet demand.

We expect FF bubbas to STTN with one feed (or DF) around 6odd mo. Bf LO's can still have one or two Nf's until solids are firmly established at around 7-8mo. But it does depend on the individual LO so this is not set in stone at all ok?

For NW's I would try and resettle without feeding if it's been less than 3hrs since the last feed, otherwise I'd feed at this age do the growth spurt. Hth xx

When can I stop feeding at night?

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Night Feeding
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:13:35 am »
Just a point of reference, my DS was FF and he had a feed in the night until he was 8 months old and well established on solids. As pp said every LO is different, if she is only waking once between 2-3am then she is doing fantastic.  I think a 4 months we actually ended up picking up an extra feed in there and had 2 NFs. 

Offline albers30

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 03:24:42 am »
Thanks for the input.  Any advice on how to get her to feed and go right back to sleep instead of want to stay up and play which happens frequently and I'm up for 2 hours with her giggling and hanging out at 2 am, fun for her but not me.