Author Topic: NWs after illness  (Read 1363 times)

Offline MommyN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 18, 2015, 18:40:20 pm »
Hi,

So after intensely working on adjusting LO's routine and doing PU/PD for NWs, he got sick! He's on a nebulizer and antibiotics and is doing much better now, but we're stuck with tons of night wakes! He is used to me holding him and comforting/nursing him when he woke coughing through the night. He still wakes coughing sometimes but mostly he really doesn't need anything and just needs to get back to sleep. He's 8 months now. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: NWs after illness
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 19:54:09 pm »
If he's waking often I'd bet he's still got some discomfort hun. Once they have been sleep trained it is much easier to get them back on track than where you started previously ok? Just make sure he's back to full health and the days are back to normal. If he's still waking, then we'll revisit xx

Offline MommyN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 08:30:13 am »
Hi, thanks for your response! I honestly think he is feeling fine now. He is off the nebulizer and today's his last day on antibiotics. The pediatrician said his breathing sounds normal, and he's perfectly cheerful during the day. He's back to his old waking through the night. What basically happens is he goes in nicely at 7 - puts himself to sleep without a fuss. He wakes somewhere between 10 and 11 and takes a full feed. Then he wakes again and again and again. It often takes an hour or more to get him back to sleep. I don't think he's hungry, because if I try to feed him he doesn't suck much and pulls away, and then he's not hungry for his morning feed. He just wants to be held and cuddled. I try to shush him with my hand on him while he's in the crib. He wakes up at about 7 for the day. DH and I are SO exhausted, the house is really not functioning properly.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: NWs after illness
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 16:15:18 pm »
Sorry for the late reply hun we had an unexpected busy weekend. Would you mind posting what your day looks like currently wrt naps and feeds? I'm sure we'll sort this out for you xx

Offline MommyN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 18:18:22 pm »
Our days basically look like this, give or take 15 minutes here and there. We've seen massive improvements in naps since adjusting A times. I know the first two seem short for an 8 month old, but it's working -he went back to 2 1.5 hour naps.

WU: 7 BF
Solids 8:15
S: 9:30-11
E: 11. solids around 12:30
S: 1:30-3
E: 3
E: 6:30
BT:6:45 or 7

I sometimes do dinner at around 5. Will start to be more consistent with dinner in a few weeks... I find that it interferes with his BT feed.