Author Topic: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 7  (Read 29441 times)

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 7
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 14:55:29 pm »
Hey everyone, sorry just can't focus on what you all wrote on the previous thread as I need the loo but don't want to wake DD ;D Hope you all make it over here! Funny, I have a plan in my head for morning nap refusals - so it's 20mins max sleep then down at 1pm, or if she faffs about for half an hour I'll give up and get her up and give her early nap at 12pm after early lunch. Or will try 11.30pm nap next Friday when I have to be at school for DS's Christmas play so won't attempt morning nap then... Anyway, I have my starting point all worked out in my head, then what does she do but some kind of funny 10min nap ;D Except that I wasn't really sure when she woke after some musing as to whether she was really awake or just making funny noises in her sleep... Well, it seems to have worked out ok for now as I put her down at 12.30pm, she made some funny crazy noises for about 2mins then fell straight to sleep and she's still going now at 2.50 :D Probably a good thing I have to wake her at 3 to get DS, or I'd be tempted to let her sleep too long... But my bladder can't cope with such long naps :P ;D Ok, time to go now, will be interesting to work out what to do with BT, but will be a bit funny anyway as picking up a friend of DS who'll be collected around 6pm, when I'm normally busy with BT routines etc... See you later :-*

Offline MayaandEvasmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 06:22:31 am »
Wonky over here again!!!!  :o.  She hs been point blank refusing naps and then only doing 30-40 mins, so we have had a couple of earlier nights but even with a 7pm BT she has been doing 11 + nights! Which I guess confirms total amount of sleep needed is LSN, just long days with a toddler that has found her independence in a HUGE way.  Anyway we then got another chest infection so all over the place again, cough keeps waking her up, we have had some 1hour NW when cough wakes her then she has been tagging it onto morning so not too bad I guess.  Now cough is on its way out we are back to 5am wakings!!!!! Day sleep is still a little hit and miss, we going away for Christmas so quite looking forward to throwing the towel in for a couple of weeks with routine, although we do have a big time change to deal with :( x

Offline trimbler

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 13:50:48 pm »
Oh no - (((hugs))) Hope she's better soon and you enjoy your Christmas travels :-*

Offline kyleian

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 05:54:12 am »
This is my first time popping in on this thread... we've been in and out of this transition for the last 5 months with DD (now 13 months). She was starting to drop the 2nd nap and then we moved to Japan, and she went back to 3 hr A times for a few months, then was starting to lengthen out at the beginning of December and then we went on holiday and were back to 3 hr A times!
6:30-7 is our usual wake-up time but because of recovering from the trip we've been letting her sleep as long as she wants. We also have to re-train so she falls asleep on her own after our holiday.

We've been home almost a week, and it was all the same till yesterday:
A: 7 AM
S attempt: 11 AM
S: 12 PM
A: 1 PM (noisy neighbors)
S: 6:40...
A: 8:45 PM.

At this point we kept trying to get her back to sleep and twice she kind of went back to sleep, but by 10 it was obvious she wasn't going back to sleep, so we let her play until midnight.

Today she woke at 8 AM, nap from 12-2... so now I don't know if we should just try to keep her up until 7  in case because it was before 7 she thought it was a nap, not BT, or if we should give her a CN at 6 and let her stay up later but not midnight!?

Offline trimbler

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 20:16:30 pm »
Hey there, sorry if I'm a bit late for that particular question... How did it go? Hard to know quite what to suggest from just one day - what's the longest A time she's managed and then done a nice long nap/night? Some LOs like their longer A time in the morning; some prefer it in the afternoon. Do you have an idea of her overall sleep needs in 24h? Be aware that those early evening wakings can be OT, she may not necessarily have thought it was a nap, especially given how short her one nap was that day.

We still seem to be hanging onto 2 naps at 18mo+ :o Messed up routine whilst away staying with families, but based on experience so far it seems she's not quite ready to go to one nap every day yet... DH had her today, our first day back home, whilst I was working, apparently she had a 10min morning CN followed by about 1h45min pm nap, we're also trying to shift her day a little later so that her one nap (on one nap days) occurs after 12pm - I think she can manage 5h15-5h30 A time before her nap now, but need to try and work around the CM for when DH goes back to work next week... So that's us right now :)

Offline kyleian

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 03:46:41 am »
We kept her up and she slept fine. We keep flip-flopping between days of 1 and days of 2 naps. Today she woke at 6:30, was acting very tired at 10, so I tried to put her down without expecting much, but she kept playing until 11:15. So we'll see what happens tonight!

I think today - almost 5 hrs - is the longest A time she's ever managed without getting too cranky or OT.

Thankfully our days right now are pretty flexible as far as being able to be home or let her stay up late or go to bed earlier.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 20:45:09 pm »
Sounds good to me :) My DS preferred a longer A to BT after his nap, whereas DD seems to prefer her longer A in the morning and a short A to BT.

Offline kyleian

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 10:12:13 am »
We had a few really good days, but now I'm really confused... her A times are ALL over the place!

Today:
A: 6 AM
S: 10:20
A: 12
S: 4
A: 4:10 (I woke her)
....yet to go to bed and it's 7:10, I won't try until closer to 8.

Yesterday:
A: 6:30
S: 11:30
A: 1:40
S: 6:50 - super cranky right before this, so I know OT, but the day before we had

A: 7
S: 12
A: 1:50
S: 7:30 (I was going to try earlier but she was so happy)
Also odd about that day was that she let DH put her to bed, when last week she would cry and cry when he tried. And he just sang to her, put her down, and walked out whereas since we've gotten back from holiday I have made no progress on her falling asleep without me in the room.

I just don't know why sometimes 5 hr A is perfect and other times it's way too much, regardless of her previous nap or sleep...

Offline trimbler

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 14:22:42 pm »
How are the nights? I think it's quite normal for LOs to be able to manage one or two days with long A times and one nap, and then to need a bit of a catch up day, that's ok. Just intrigued as to why you gave her a much shorter A time yesterday morning? I think I'd probably stick with 5h in the morning and then adjust BT or give a pm CN if necessary, rather than a shorter morning A time, wdyt?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 15:18:03 pm »
Hi all!!

Is this board still active?

I'm Jennifer and FTM to a energetic and joyful 1 year old. We are in the midst of the 2-1 transition so thought I would write on here for some support and validation.

Anyways, we had a good routine going finally for a couple of weeks where he started sleeping nice long stretches and good naps. Then it all went crazy last week smh. DS is NOT a sleeper. We always had issues with naps and/or sleep. He's too busy being curious and persistent on learning new things to slow down lol

I'm wondering if anyone experienced LO fighting all naps and even bedtime during the transition?
Jennifer xx

Offline ecwinters

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 13:43:44 pm »
Hi Jennifer
I've just found this board.  Have just started (slowly) transitioning DS, at 16 months, from 2 naps to 1.  We've cut the first nap to 40/45 mins as he'd started massively playing around for his afternoon nap and bedtime became later and later...

He's now doing 40/45 mins in the morning (hates being woken though!) and I'm working on trying to extend his afternoon nap (he normally wakes after an hour but sometimes resettles for a further 20 minutes).  Bedtimes are now back on track but we still have early waking quite often (although, as he's often asleep before 7pm, 5:30am could seem reasonable...I don't get him up until about 6:15am if he's happy playing!). 

How are you doing the transition?  I'm planning on cutting the first nap to 30 minutes, then 20 etc.  but DS has a tendency to short nap (45 minutes - 1 hour) and I wonder if he'll really lengthen out his 2nd nap as we cut the first one...

How are you getting on?
Lizzie

Offline Kldcali

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 21:11:06 pm »
Not sure how to post on this but I'm having the hardest time getting my 16mo on one nap. He likes his morning nap and will still take an afternoon nap after 4.5 awake but then only sleeps 9.5 at night so early wakings were our signs he was ready. We got  to nap at 11-1 bed at 6-6 for a week and then he fell apart and now he's waking at 5 or earlier and taking 1.5 naps at 10:30 or 11 and now I'm about to give him a 5p bedtime and I'm so lost! What can I do to make this better??

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 07:12:07 am »
I'm sorry you haven't had a reply, this thread is pretty quiet. If things are still unsettled, could you post on the main Slerping for toddlers board
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline robinsegg

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 03:42:12 am »
Anyone interested in reviving this thread? The 2-1 has been a challenge here.