Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 874 times)

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 21, 2015, 13:50:23 pm »
I'm just wondering what you guys would do or advise. My dd is 11 months. I would say she has average sn. My dd1 had very hsn. She dropped to one nap at 14 months and her one nap was 3/4 hours long.
This one will take a one hour nap at 10.30 and another at about 2.30. But I can quite easily bring her through the morning by keeping her busy, give her lunch a bit early and give her nap at about 12.15. She'd be tired but ok. So that makes me think maybe she's ready for one nap.. The problem is that she won't sleep for more than 1.5 hours whichever I think is too short for an 11 month old on one nap. Is it? Sometimes she wouldn't even get a full 1.5 hours. It means she's up from 1.45 til 7 with no nap. So my question is would you keep her on the 2 naps or move to one nap even though it's an hour and a half?
So it would be one of these two days
Wu 8
Nap 10.30 1 hour or 1.5 sometimes
Nap 2.30 1 hour
Bt 7
Or
Wu 8
Nap 12.15 1.5 hour
Bt 7
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 13:53:21 pm by sunflower321 »

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 23:17:14 pm »
Hi there, just wondered why you want to transition her to one nap now? Are there problems with her two nap routine? Is she getting to sleep easily for her naps and sleeping well at night? Does she seem to do better on days with one nap? She's still on the early end for dropping down to one nap every day, although it's not unknown. Looking at your two nap routine, I'd say her A times seem quite short for her age, so I'd suggest either pushing her first nap out a bit (but not as far as 12.15, perhaps 11 to start with, since is sounds like she could manage that A time) and hopefully it will get consistently longer and the second nap will gradually get shorter until it disappears; or start capping the morning nap in the hope of getting a nice long pm nap - but I'm going to guess that the first option will suit her better, since she seems to cope well with longer first A times, right? Actually, sleeping 1.5h when she only has one nap at 12.15 could be OT from pushing a bit too hard too soon. Anyway, I'll stop there for now and let you have a look at this really useful link about the 2-1 which will say it all much better than I can ;)

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Wdyt?

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 08:20:02 am »
Yes that was a great link thanks. From reading it I think she needs to stay on 2 naps. With dd1 it was obviously time to transition because she refused her second nap. DD2 doesn't refuse either nap. The reasons I had thought of moving 2-1 were because I was surprised by how well she coped with a long am of being awake. DD1 couldn't go past 11am even at 14 months! The second reason is that she's not sleeping well at night. Now she had 5 side teeth and molars coming together but the tips of them all are through now. She was often fully waking at 9pm or 10pm screaming crying, possibly in pain but I wondered if it was because she should be only having one nap. But now I'm thinking it probably wasn't that. She had one nap yesterday of 1.5 hours and was so ot by bedtime it took her half an hour to fall asleep. However she did sleep without budging which is unusual for her. It's almost 8.30 now and she's still asleep which is why I consider 1 nap. It's a lot of night sleep. Bt was 7. She fell asleep at 7.30.
If I push am a time to 11 would you suggest
Nap 1 11-12.30 ish and
Nap 2 3-3.30? Or longer?
It kills me to wake from naps! But I'll try it
Or maybe let her sleep as long as she wants for both naps and have a later bt? Would that work do you think?
Sorry about all the questions. This is the last one. Would it be a bad idea to have some 2 nap days and some 1 nap days? Would that mix her body clock up?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:24:19 am by sunflower321 »

Offline trimbler

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 19:48:06 pm »
Ouch, poor thing having all those teeth to cope with :o :-\ I agree the teething is bound to be causing some of those NWs.

You may well find that with gradually pushing the first nap out, it starts to lengthen by itself and she ends up dropping the second nap herself sooner than you might guess. If she can pull nice long nights when she needs to, that's great :) But I think that by pushing gradually rather than going to one nap cold turkey, there's more chance of it lengthening naturally and then she'll cope with it better... I say this with the caveat that mine have both kept their naps for longer than most so I don't really have btdt experience with early nap droppers or with pushing the first nap out like this, but there are plenty of others around who do, once you get to that point ;)

I wouldn't be waking her from the first nap, just push to 11 (preferably not letting her sleep in beyond 8am), hold for a few days and see what happens, then push to 11:15, etc etc. Definitely let her sleep as long as she wants for this nap. The second nap will gradually shorten and you may at some point find that she starts refusing it, then you'll do EBT and at this stage you probably will end up with some 1 nap and some 2 nap days and that's completely normal :) As for how long to let her sleep for the second nap...sorry it's hard to say, it would depend on how her first nap went, I would think. Just consider how much sleep she's already had and how much A time to BT you think she'll need to settle easily without being OT, bearing in mind her total sleep needs over 24h (do you have a feel for this?), does that make sense at all?

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 08:38:21 am »
Hey well I'm back again. After reading your link I decided she wasn't displaying signs that she was ready for 2-1 yet so I went back to 2 naps letting her sleep as long as she wanted on each adjusting bt a bit depending on naps and that was fine but the last 3 days she has refused the second nap. So now I believe she's officially ready for 1 nap! My problem though is that she is still only taking a short nap whether I put her in at 11 or 12. I can't remember the days before yesterday. I had to go out in the evening yesterday so her dad was in charge and he messed up. So yesterday her routine was
Wu 8
Nap 12-1
Tried for nap2 at 3.30, 4 and 4.30
Then I went out as she was about to eat. Dh then put her up for a nap at 5.15 because he said she was tired. When I got home at 5.45 I made him wake her up. I couldn't believe he'd put her in at that time knowing her bt was so soon. So I tried
Bt 7.15 was very upset. I tried pupd until 8 then I brought her downstairs.
I tried bt again at 8.40. Pupd again til she fell asleep at 9.15. She then woke crying at 10 and went back to sleep at 10.20. No nws after that. Now during all of the time after 7 that she was awake she appeared tired.
Yesterday wasn't a typical day but that's how it went anyway.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 18:33:21 pm »
Ok can I just ask what her routine was like when the two naps were working well? It may be that she still needs a little catnap in the afternoon, some LOs will even just do 10mins towards the end of the 2-1, if she's only doing 1h nap that probably won't be long enough to get her to bed, but let's have a look at was she was doing previously before I try to guess any more :P

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 19:57:24 pm »
When it was working well it was
Wu 7.30/8
Nap 10.30 1 hour
Nap 2.30 1 hour
Bt  7.15 ish if she slept longer on either nap I found I had to do bt at 8 because when it was at 7.15 she'd go to sleep at 7.30 but get up again full of beans at 8!
But then half way through last week she wouldn't take the second nap. So she'd have the morning nap as normal. Some days 1.5 hours and one day only an hour. I pushed nap1 later to see if she slept longer but she didn't. When I put her up for nap 2 she talked and shouted for about 15 mins before crying to get up. So basically went the rest of the day with no nap.

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 02:19:40 am »
I haven't read the whole thread but I thought I'd post my DS's current routine (He just turned a year and was on this routine at 11 months). DS was refusing his pm nap so I opted to cap the am nap.

WU: 7
S: 9:30-10:15 (I wake him)
S: 1:15/1:30-3:30
BT: 7 (just recently it's getting a bit later)
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014