Author Topic: 10 mo NW 2/3 hours after BT wanting bottle only! HELP  (Read 1370 times)

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 mo NW 2/3 hours after BT wanting bottle only! HELP
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:52:33 pm »
Hi everyone, it's been more than a week and my DS is still waking up every night around the same time. At first I though it was theething as it happened in the past with previous theeth but now I'm wondering if it's a habit more than just pain as he wakes up only once. We give him meds before bed. He drinks a 9 oz bottle and goes to sleep awake with thumb and lovey.

When he wakes up we let him fuss to see if he will go back to sleep but it quickly esacalates to crying and screaming. Then we try to soothe him in his crib, which is not working either. I have to pick him up and sometimes rock him and then he calms a bit but he's never fully soothed because as soon as we put him down he cries and screams. I also tried to bring him to bed with us without success.
Generally after 1-1.5 hour of trying we end up giving him a bottle and he drinks 6 to 7 oz and then back in the crib awake and goes back to sleep by himself.  ???

Routine is WU at 7, 30 to 45 min nap at 9:15, at least 45 min nap at 13:00 (used to be an hour when we were lucky but lately he decreased it to 45 min) and BT at 6:45/7:00.
Used to STTN but now he sometimes wakes up around 5 or 6 and goes back to sleep after chatting a bit.

Please I need help! I'm pregnant with baby 2 and I'm so tired I can't seem to figure it out!!

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 10 mo NW 2/3 hours after BT wanting bottle only! HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 19:37:08 pm »
Sounds a bit like OT to me hun. I think that second nap needs pushing out or either decreasing that first nap a little. He's not really getting any decent sleep in the day there is he?

Have you read the 2-1 sticky?

I would also check to see he's taking enough milk during the day? Have you recently dropped a bottle at all? The fact he's drinking so much at that time leads me to think he's actually hungry rather than having a couple of sucks on a bottle then falling asleep on it iykwim?

Do you want to post your routine for me? Ideally the last couple of days in real time with E and S times and also the NW's and let's see what we can do xx

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 10 mo NW 2/3 hours after BT wanting bottle only! HE
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 13:01:21 pm »
Last night went pretty well! He woke up briefly and fell back asleep. I put cereal in his last bottle to rule out hunger maybe that helped  ;)

So he's been the same routine for over a month now:

E 6:45-7:00 - 9 oz bottle
A
E 8:00 - breakfast
A
S 9:15-10:00 - we are decreasing it to 9:00-9:30 this week. Did it yesterday and he took a 1.5 hour afternoon nap
E 10:30 - 5 oz bottle
A
E 12:00 - lunch
A
S 13:00-13:45/14:30 - bad days are 45 min and good days it's 1 to 1.75 hour. This nap needs to be at 1 to match daycare schedule because he will be there at full time soon
E 15:00 - snack (yogurt and Cheerios or fruits)
A
E 17:00 - dinner
A
E 18:45 - 9 oz bottle
S 19:00 - sometimes earlier if he had a bad nap. Can be as soon as 18:30.

Other than that he eats solids pretty well but he's maybe getting a bit less than before because he seems to hate to be spoon fed now. In fact he always hated to be in high chair as there is not enough moving allowed trapped in there!  ::)

And he's particularly fussy between 4 and 5. Crying for nothing like falling on his butt. Not sure if it could be due to teething but it's generally at the same time each day, good nap or not. He's been doing that since he's 8.5 mo... And way before in fact... We had a break for our ears when he was learning to crawl and stand up. Once he mastered it he's was back to its usual fussing at 4. But we are used to it, it's not my main concern for now loll

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 20:01:47 pm »
Could well be he's getting tired around then hun. Mind you, we went through those awful phases too. The worst one was when DD was desperately trying to talk. I swear, I nearly sold her on eBay!  ;)

I think you've answered your own question re the naps there hun. In order to get a good restorative nap in there somewhere capping that first nap definitely seems the way to go. Keep me posted though ok?

I'd also pop over to the feeding solid food board. They have some great recipes for baby led weaning (BLW) so it's all hand held. Gives them a new lease of life wrt food! Even just steamed carrot sticks dipped in carrot purée worked well here. I think it's their way of asserting independence by not liking the spoon. I see he still has yoghurt though.. That's one thing DD was always happy to take off a spoon too!! Xx

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 12:19:01 pm »
Thank you! Everyone around me keeps telling me it's too soon to only have a 30 min morning nap! It's reassuring to hear I'm not so crazy

Regarding naps I think it did the trick. Yesterday we followed the new routine and got a 1.75 afternoon nap without NW. I just hope he still stick to that lol
And yes that 4 to 5 fussing seems to be tiredness or something related... Like if he's trying to tell us he's had his day!
And for food he eats well with his hands but not as many as purrees as it takes more time.

And funny thought about eBay  ;D

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 19:42:03 pm »
We were on one nap at 10.5mo! So no not too soon at all! Yay to the better nap, hope the nights go better too. Give it a few days to settle in and if any more issues do pop back ok? Xx