Author Topic: Another 2-1 transition help  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Freckles1981

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 24, 2015, 11:23:44 am »
Hi there

My little one is 12 months and has, for the last few months, been napping really well.  The problem we are now having (both at home and in his nursery setting) is that his naps are pushing out later and later and it's as though we don't have enough hours in the day for the two naps.

Our nursery want to transition him to one nap as they have been struggling to settle him for his afternoon nap.  My concern with the nursery setting is that he'll have a short nap (he is woken easily and often does short naps) and come 5pm when I collect him, he'll be needing a late nap or very early bedtime and will miss his dinner.

At home, we currently have this routine:

AM Nap - Around 10.00, which I'm waking him at 11.15 (he always used to go down at 9.30 and would sleep for until 11.15)
PM Nap - Around 15.00, which I'm waking him at 16.00
Bedtime routine starts at 18.30, but he's now not falling asleep until around 19.15.

I think both naps are now too early, especially the afternoon nap which is becoming increasingly difficult to settle him.  He doesn't show any signs of being tired so I'm just winging it that he's ready to have a nap, I think there is definitely extra awake time to be had.  Even at bedtime, he's just lying in his cot awake.

He usually wakes in the morning at around 6.15 but he often falls back to sleep and we end up waking him at 7am to get him ready for nursery.

Do you think he's anywhere near ready for 1 nap?  I'm concerned as to how this will affect his bedtime and morning wake up.

Thanks in advance!

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Another 2-1 transition help
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 14:39:36 pm »
Hello

he is woken easily and often does short naps
this could be because he's not quite tired enough with his current routine to stay asleep? 

Since neither of his naps is particularly short, moving from his current routine straight to one nap might be a bit abrupt for him.  A more gradual approach would be to shorten one of the naps and lengthen out the other one.  Since you're having difficulty settling him for naps it does sound like he's ready to start this transition.

You can either do short am nap + long pm nap; or vice versa.

It's explained more here:
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)
Have a read and see which option you think would be best for you.  Overall I think short (capped) am nap + long pm is more popular (and might work better with nursery too?).  What do you think?  You could start by capping the am nap at 45 mins say, and then try for the pm nap around 2.30 and see how that goes?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Freckles1981

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 19:52:00 pm »
This info is great, thanks Cath. We'll start to give this a go if we continue to struggle, but I'm keen to keep the 2 naps for as long as possible!

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Another 2-1 transition help
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 19:56:13 pm »
As long as it's working, no need to change anything :)

If you get more nap resistance or trouble with BT/EW though, then it would prob be worth considering a tweak :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old