Author Topic: I thought I was getting there!  (Read 891 times)

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 24, 2015, 15:39:50 pm »
I have a nearly 6mo (next week) and I was getting there with a 2hr a time easy. If I managed to get him settled just before the two hr mark he'd nap easily, usually short naps but one long one after lunch, up to two hours.
But now I am really struggling to get him to sleep. He fights sleep like there's no tomorrow  :-\ for example, today he was in his cot for one and a half hours, refused to sleep, so I gave up and I put him in his bouncy chair and he fell asleep  ???
Now I spent half hour getting him to sleep for his nap (exhausted, rubbing eyes etc) and he slept....10minutes! Or if we are out, he does anything in his,power to stay awake.
I am at my wits end.
I'd post a routine, but which? A good day? A dire day?
His day starts at 7am and he goes to bed at 7:45. During the day I put him down for his sleep every two hours.
Thanks sin advance.

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: I thought I was getting there!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 02:03:21 am »
It sounds like he's ready for a longer A time. My DS did something similar at that age and it seemed to happen overnight - easy to settle, good naps and then all of a sudden fighting sleep and short naps. After a few days, I figured he needed a new routine so we jumped to this:

WU: 7
S: 9:30-11 (he sometimes went down a bit earlier than 9:30 and I woke him if he wasn't up by 1115)
S: 1:30-3/330
CN around 5 (only if the second nap ended before 3)
BT: If the pm nap ended at 3 or later, I did BT 3 hrs from the end of the last nap (so 6/6:30). If he had a CN BT was 7/715

Prior to that his A time was 2 hrs and we just jumped to 2.5 hrs because I was impatient :)
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 14:56:07 pm »
My apologies for the delay, thanks, will try it (I have already elongated theA and he seems to cope ok) :) I have a question though, if he has a short nap, do I still keep the 2:30 A? If not, how do I know how much to cap it?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 14:58:02 pm by CattyPads »

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 19:35:46 pm »
I found DS can do pretty much a full A time off of a short nap. I usually don't take off more than 15/20 minutes. I tend to err on the side of longer rather than shorter because it's easier to resettle an OT nap (he often just cries out quickly and then self-settles at 30 minutes) than a UT one and a second short nap makes the day tough.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 15:45:48 pm »
Thank you, it's still a bit touch and go but getting better!

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 20:40:27 pm »
It does take a while for LOs to settle into a new routine. I hope it keeps getting better.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014