Author Topic: Preparing for Childcare  (Read 867 times)

Offline jhs4ess

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 25, 2015, 08:58:44 am »
Hi,

Thanks to the BW books and this forum I have now got my 6 month old son in a reasonable routine with 2 decent naps and a catnap. Unfortunately I'm going back to work part time at the start of Feb and he will be going to a childminder for 3 days a week. He will be going for some settling in days in Jan and the childminder has suggested he go 09:15-11:15 for a couple of days to begin with. The problem is he is an early riser (5:30/6:00) so will be due a nap by 08:30/9:00. Even if I can somehow get him to sleep in later, he'll be due a nap while he is there. I'm just worried that it's going to mess up all our hard work. He also naps in his cot in the dark with white noise on but at the childminder he'll have to sleep on a mat on the floor in the living room or in his pram with lots of noise and distractions. Does anyone have any advice on how I can prepare him for this so it is less of a shock? I'm dreading leaving him as it is, if he gets overtired too it will just make it worse :'(

Thanks

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Preparing for Childcare
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 09:22:02 am »
Most childminders have done this all before and will be able to get him into the groove pretty quickly. I know it's a massive transition for you, but please try not to worry too much and trust that the minder will be able to get him sorted.

I would just allow him to catch up at home if he loses out on sleep with her (we had some lovely long catch up naps!) rather than prepare him as such. Provide consistency at home to allow him to cope with the new environment better.

FWIW my first son was (is still) an early bird too and when he went to childcare they just had to work around it. A lot of kids are early risers.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 13:13:19 pm »
I think there are two big things to bear in mind: (1) at his age, he's going to change quickly and so will his sleep needs, for instance, he's about due to drop that catnap in all likelihood, (2) children are immensely good at adapting to different circumstances, so he might do things there that he would never do at home.

I also think there's not much you can do to prepare *him*, I wouldn't change anything you're doing at home, for instance, though I might consider introducing a lovey, if he hasn't got one, it might make the transition easier for him.  I would think about what you can reasonably ask/expect of the CM, and I'd start talking to her (I assume her!) about it earlier rather than later.  If you tell her that you're worried about his sleep, she will probably be sympathetic and try to help.  The really hard bit is likely to be your mental and emotional struggles with it, so try to think your way around it a bit now.  It is unlikely that he will sleep the way he does at home, so get ready to hear that from her at the end of the day without flipping out (if you can).

And I think the short settling in periods sound like a great idea.  Maybe he can nap on the way there in his buggy if he needs to? If you have a sling, you could bring that, he might nap in there for you, or for her even. A friend who is a CM does 'wear' one of the babies she minds and he loves it.  The settling in period is really about him and you getting comfortable with the environment and getting to know the CM and the other children, it's not much of an indicator for how his day will be. 

((Hugs)) it's a tough transition, it really is.  It's not just you, or your LO.  Try not to fret about it too much.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Preparing for Childcare
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 21:10:17 pm »
Also just to add that she might be happy to adjust the time slot for settling to one which fits in better with his routine - ours was happy to do that, so they'd have their morning nap at home and then we 'd bring them over for an hour and back home for lunch, next day they'd stay for lunch and back home for nap, later on they'd stay for pm nap, and so on... It will be helpful for her to know what he's used to at home, and it's a good idea to communicate everything from the start to help avoid misunderstandings etc :-*

Offline jhs4ess

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 14:18:19 pm »
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you so much for your replies. I will speak to the childminder about it. I definitely think Edward will adapt faster than I will!  :P