Author Topic: 1 year old resisting bedtime.  (Read 1260 times)

Offline ljearnshaw

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
1 year old resisting bedtime.
« on: November 25, 2015, 18:57:09 pm »
Hi there,

Our almost 1 year old has been on EASY since he was 5 months and thanks to Tracey has always gone down well for sleep. These last few days though he's started refusing sleep at bedtime (naps have been ok) and demanding we go in where we usually find him
standing in his crib (his newest skill)  I don't think he's UT as he often goes to sleep (or at least is quiet) right away but wakes up after 20 mins to begin the games. I've been very aware that it could be a UT issue so A time is usually extended. Around 3.5 hours now.

He's also taken to throwing his soother out and really playing a game to get us back in there. Last night it went on for hours with either my husband or myself in the room with him. Generally just being there with a hand on his back calms him and theres no need to PU/PD but we're almost just holding him from wriggling and trying to sooth him to sleep. Are we becoming props? And does there come a point when you should allow a little crying as appose to rushing back in at his demands? (soother throwing) My hubby was all for the CIO last night but I've always been so against it after reading Tracey's books.

Id love to hear your thoughts and thanks in advance. Like most of you I'm thinking of Tracey today.
Many thanks,

Laura

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 1 year old resisting bedtime.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 19:50:45 pm »
When you have a really bad night it can be easy to imagine this is how it's going to be from here on out and that there must be some instant solution.  This is not going to go on for ever and is a perfectly normal phase of your LOs development, as tiresome and frustrating as it is we have all been through this or similar at some point.
Please do reassure your DH that this is not how ever night is going to be for ever. It is a phase. You can continue to use the BW methods and to support your child without breaking the bond of trust through using CC or CIO methods which anyway are not going to stop the next development taking place.

There are two (if not more) distinct developments happening right now to throw your LOs sleep off track
- around the 1yo birthday behaviour and sleep often goes haywire, it is a phase
- when new skills are learned behaviour and sleep often goes haywire, it is a phase
- there might be a routine tweak needed but it is often difficult to tell when there are other factors (birthday and standing development) going on
Keep telling yourselves you will get through this, it is normal.

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 20:11:18 pm »
I agree with creations - my just-turned 1yr old is exhibiting some behavioural (more feisty!) and sleep changes (seems more tired, which is a welcome change in our case!)

If a routine change is needed I would lean towards him being UT based on his behaviour and A times. 3.5hrs is a little on the low side for his age, but the averages are only guidelines so if it suits him that's fine. And you know him best, so if you don't feel he's UT then you're probably right and it's more likely developmental.

As far as allowing a little crying - yes it's fine to let him fuss or mantra cry as long as you're there when he needs you, which you obviously are! :)
Emma

Offline ljearnshaw

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 03:21:36 am »
Thank you both so much for your reassurance that this is just a phase!

Can I just ask... Is there any danger we are becoming a prop with the hair stoking and soothing him to sleep? I feel like maybe he just needs us right now. As you said developmental plus we have some teeth (finally!) coming in!

Thank you so much again!
Many thanks,

Laura

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 03:34:26 am »
My 2 year old has had phases of needing me with her (hand holding through the crib) when she falls asleep and after a bit she eventually goes back to independent sleep. I tend to mix a bit of gradual withdrawal and wi/wo if it is needed.

3.5 hrs A is on the lower end, but with teeth etc worth waiting to see how it settles out and then look at routine (possibly the start of the 2-1?).
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 09:09:58 am »
My independent sleeper returns to independence the second he is able to. I never worry about giving him extra help through developmental phases, illness, teeth etc, admittedly it was rare I took him into my own bed, I'd rather sooth in his room, but some times things were SO bad I took him in with me...even then he returned to independence just as soon as he could.
Hair stroking can be weaned in a similar way to patting, use it when needed and reduce bit by bit when you believe LO to be 'better' or over the phase.  If you have a key phrase I would use that too so you can eventually reassure from outside the room (not necessarily now but if you need to later), it's good to get that key phrase associated with cuddles and support.

And does there come a point when you should allow a little crying as appose to rushing back in at his demands? (soother throwing)
I realise I intended to say something about this and forgot!
Whilst I wouldn't leave my LO totally alone crying for attention or a soother/lovey I would also not entertain a 'game'.  This game, you are already aware is to get your attention, personally I would give the attention he is asking for without allowing the 'game'.  I'm a huge fan of lovies as they hold so much power to comfort a child so I would never purposely without a lovie *but* when mine went through a phase of throwing his muslin (lovie) out of the cot I told him firmly that if he throws it out it means he doesn't want it. I had returned it several times like you have with the soother and then enough was enough.  I told him something like "If you want your muslin, keep it in the cot" and if he continued to throw it out I went to him to be there for him but I did not return it. Yes he was angry and shouted a lot but I was right with him.  The game rapidly stopped. so, whilst I do believe you need to be there and respond to his call for attention, I don't think you need to take part in this power game with the soother.  Hope that makes sense.