Author Topic: Awake for hours in the night  (Read 1109 times)

Offline KatyBee

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 28, 2015, 10:40:05 am »
I can't work out what is happening with my son (27mo)....He is LSN & dropped his nap a couple weeks ago and things seemed to be falling into a decent pattern, with the occasional nap thrown in when he seemed to need it, but otherwise doing a 12/12.5 hour day and sleeping through 11-12 hours at night.

However things have gone really weird this week and i'm trying to work out if I need to adjust his routine or not?

He was sent home from nursery at the start of the week as he had a fever. He never developed any real illness and the fever just came and went for a couple of days and he seemed a more tired eg he asked for a nap one day which I gave him. He is also saying his mouth hurts fairly frequently and is chewing his fingers loads - so I suspect he he is teething as he doesn't have his lower canines yet.

He has been awake for so much of the last 2 nights, so unsettled and restless, but not upset if i'm there with him. In fact he was joking, singing, giggling a lot and telling me he wanted to get up at 3am both nights. He then stayed awake for about 2 hours 2 nights ago. He wide awake and even after a dose of meds last night (he told me his teeth hurt), only got a 2 hour stretch of sleep before being awake again.

He isn't usually able to nap in the day, only on the odd occasion, but is totally wiped out by 5/6pm so i'm putting him to bed super early - but then we get the massively disturbed nights.

Does this sound teething related to you? Or do I need to work really hard to get the nap back?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Awake for hours in the night
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 21:05:01 pm »
Hmm touh call. We nap dropped at 22 months and now she won't nap at all. Would he take a short catnap in the car maybe? Just to see if it helps?
Heidi

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Happy baby is more than a yoga pose :)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 16:30:29 pm »
I have a similar issue with my 13 mo. old dd.
She's got her first cold - and is teething.

She's LSN (pediatrician told us with all of her schedule and signs it's a possibility) and super happy with one nap of 1.5h in a 12-13 hour day (at 13 mo. old).

She never sleeps longer than 11 hours at night. Usually up once.
Now since the massive teething (2 teeth and upper molars) and first cold she's up from ~1am - 4a evey night. Super chatty after standing up and a bit of a cry if I don't go in. then she's fine nuzzling at me standing in her crib.  I do PD and sleep words and wipe her nose. After a while of this (she keeps standing up, doing little downward dog/headstands and chatting) and I keep PD and rubbing her back, I offer water, and sometimes Tylenol if she's chewing her little sleep sack.

It's a mess.
She's way OT, but generally pretty happy.
This has been going on for over two weeks now.  We're all sick now though.

I'm just posting to reply because I know it's a different age, but I feel like a similar issue.  I think it's sickness/teething discomfort in the early hours disrupting sleep.

If they would just sleep, they'd feel better :(  unfortunately my 13 mo old doesn't seem to believe me :)

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 16:14:50 pm »
ok so past two nights, I've given my dd Tylenol (she gets ibuprofen at BT) if she wakes after midnight and is chewing hands or seems in pain.
She's finally getting better (no need for meds) and her cold is passing.
We went to the pediatrician for a recheck to make sure (both dh and I are on antibiotics - very sick, he has full blown bronchitis!) and her ears are clear and her chest is almost 100% clear.
She's been sneezing/coughing the mucus out at meals and she did last night at ~11p and threw up a bit :((( horrible.
But other than than, much much better, teething a bit now and... the 11p or midnight waking is her only one!  And it's finally either super short, or last night with the horrible puke-isode and sheet and sleep sack change - only 45 mins!

So maybe your lo is actually sick? or teething?
I know the random 3 hour cot party stage lasted the entire time my lo was sick (2 weeks straight!) and only now last two days its better.
They really are just trying to tell us what's going on but sometimes have a very odd way of doing it!?
Gah!
So precious. So much work, so sleep deprived, but so precious.
Good luck and I hope your cot parties pass too!  Let us know? (just in case these reappear I'll reply again... many prayers she's well soon and these are done!) xx

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 16:37:11 pm »
ok so I spoke too soon, I'm going to post a new topic to see if anyone else has had this and what they did to get past it.