Author Topic: Why is my almost 3 year old waking for hours at night  (Read 1063 times)

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Why is my almost 3 year old waking for hours at night
« on: November 28, 2015, 12:59:30 pm »
My dd always had very hsn as a baby and toddler. She is 3 in December. I was surprised when pad started to occasionally refuse nap at 2y 3m. But it's only in the last few months that she consistently goes without a nap. She hasn't really napped for 3 months except for the odd time she falls asleep in the car. She is often quite tired and whingey and tantrumy in the middle of the day but refuses to nap and gets through ok. She generally sleeps 7-7.
For the past 2 nights she has woken at around 1am for almost 3 hours. In good form and wanting to get up. Saying she can't sleep. It wouldn't be ut because I don't think 12 hours a night is excessive. In fact she's usually exhausted.
Do they still do ot wake ups at this age? Although this week she actually seemed to cope with the tiredness better than of late.
Could it be a developmental leap? Does that still happen at almost 3?
Her schedule is
7 ish wu
8 breakfast (porridge w fruit/veg puree)
12 lunch egg/chicken/potato type thing. And a yogurt. Hit or miss. Some days eats some days doesn't. Always eats the yogurt though
4 dinner big bowl of thick soup made from meat, potato, veg. Always eats that.
6.15 supper warm milk cereal
Is that enough food? Is she waking from hunger? Should I give her more? She's thin but within normal range.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 13:03:09 pm by sunflower321 »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Why is my almost 3 year old waking for hours at night
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 18:38:56 pm »
Hi I'd say it's the developmental birthday shenanigans kicking in. Her sleep is good and if she is HSN then a 12 hour night is great as some do more or less. My DS ASN does 11/11.5 hours at 3.5 yrs but we did have lots of random wakings at your DD age, I put it down to development.
Food won't wake at this age and her intake looks fine especially with the supper.

I'd be inclined to try a couple of early bed times to combat the OT the NW might clock up, maybe 20/30 mins earlier and yes OT NW can still happen.
Zoe

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Re: Why is my almost 3 year old waking for hours at night
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 19:06:34 pm »
As mum to 2 HSN girls, I would say that 12 hours at 3 is probably not nearly enough, particularly if she is not napping. Both mine napped until after age 4 and slept 12 hours at night on top of that. I would think that you might need to do a few super early bedtimes to catch her up - when mine did drop the nap they needed 13-13.5 hours overnight. On the occasions when we did not get dd1 to bed early enough we did find the she would have long NWs from over tiredness and she was often alert and not sleepy with it.