Author Topic: Getting back on track after illness?  (Read 2156 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Getting back on track after illness?
« on: December 02, 2015, 23:15:06 pm »
Hello!

My 6 mo old bub has been ill for the last couple of days with a congestion/cold. I ended up loosely following EASY as I allowed him to just lead in the sleeping and eating department. He's has a few sniffles but it seems he doing better. Do I wait until he is completely better? There is no fever; however he is teething.

Right before he got sick, we starts to transition out of the catnap and moving to 2 naps. He naps pretty well. I was playing around with A times and am now trying out more of a set nap schedule as follows:

WU 7/7:30am
E 7:45 am
A
S 10am-11:30
E 1:45 pm
A
S 2pm-3:30/4 pm
E 4/4:15pm
A
E 6:15 pm (top up offered)
S 6:30/7pm

Anyways, since he has been sick, I did not wake him up in the am and did not cap naps. Needless to say his wake up very quickly went from 7:30 am to 9:45 am (today)  :o

I want to get him back on track asap. Wondering if I should just wake him up gradually, say a half hour earlier every two days? Or should I just bite the bullet and wake him up at 7:30 and give him a slightly shorter A for the first nap?  ???

Any tips and advice are much appreciated  ;D
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Getting back on track after illness?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 22:56:29 pm »
Aw poor thing he must have been tired! So has his whole day shifted? Where are you at now with naps etc? You could certainly wake him earlier, I wouldn't be brave enough to wake him a whole 2h earlier though :P If you want to get him back on track ASAP I'd probably wake him no more than 1h earlier, and reduce A times a little. Hopefully reducing A times that day will also help to bring BT earlier and then the next morning he'll naturally wake earlier again. And at least if it all goes wrong and he ends up OT he shouldn't wake too terribly early the next morning, whereas if you suddenly started the day at 7:30 you could end up with a nasty OT EW the next if it doesn't work out :-\ How does that sound?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 02:06:44 am »
Hi Trimbler!

Thank you for responding! Yes poor baby has been having terrible NW due to teething, cold, and add 6 month growth spurt ha! Needless to say I didn't have the heart to wake him knowing he has been ill.

Today, he woke up at 9:30. I stuck to 2.5 first two As then 3 hour to BT. The routine is the same, however, it's all shifted about 2 hrs later  ::)

I guess I caught a break because his first nap was just about an hour and second nap was about 1.5. I opted for the earlier BT since a CN has complicated things in the past couple of weeks which is why (with the amazing advice of other mods) I dropped it before he got ill. He's still adjusting to the long A to bed so doesn't help the NW one bit! My DS has been going through A LOT the past week or so. My hope is the slightly earlier BT will shift things earlier for tomorrow.

I agree with you, I don't have the balls to do a 2 hour earlier wake up. I think I would severely regret it!! I will take your advice and aim for a 8am wake up tomorrow (since BT was 8 pm tonight) and hopefully continue to shift things back to 7:30.

Thank you for the advice!
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 22:42:10 pm »
Sounds good to me :)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 15:14:14 pm »
Quick question: If my LO still has a cough and congestion; should I just forget about a wake up time? He doesn't seem to want to wake up early; probably from the teething and cold. At the same time I don't like his bedtime being late. I'm a FTM and this is his first illness so it's all very new to me  ;)
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 09:52:39 am »
Well... It feels horrible to wake them when they clearly need their sleep, but if you want to shift his day then you could do it gently - pick a time that seems reasonable to you and go for it. He may be upset for a little while but you can give him lots of cuddles and a shorter A time and that way you can gently get back on track. I find a consistent routine can help a lot as they grow and change, makes it a little easier to predict their new needs if they had something vaguely consistent already. I'm afraid they'll always get colds, have teething etc, but often just a little tweak is needed at these times, ie slightly shorter A times, EBT etc. Not sure if that helps, really it's up to you and what else you need to fit around :-*

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 15:13:00 pm »
That helps for sure! Thankfully he woke up better so I can be more diligent in getting him back on track...looks like he needs a 13 hour night rather than a 12 as he previously had-probably from the NW related to teething etc

Today I woke him up an hour earlier so hopefully tomorrow he will be back to waking up at his usual time  :D

How much should I shorten the A? His sleepy cues are not reliable so i have to also clock watch...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 15:15:10 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 19:11:21 pm »
Oh dear sorry i'm too late to answer that now! How did it go?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 22:40:50 pm »
That's ok! Well it worked out well with naps yesterday; i stuck to 2.5 A times and got some good naps. However, I was at an event and my DH tried to put him back to sleep after waking 40 minutes after BT (which he is notorious for that in the last month or so). Needless to say poor baby was up for nearly 2 hours crying until I came home to feed him and put him back to sleep. He usually self settles with at times a little bit of shh pat, but with my DH he doesn't. Anyways, it was a bit of a tiring night for DS so today his naps were broken (probably a little OT). Seeing how tonight goes.
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 13:59:46 pm »
Oh dear that's a shame! Yes as you say, he now has some OT to deal with and then you 'll be able to see where you are... :-*

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 14:28:41 pm »
Well turns out his teething has intensified...looks like his two bottom teeth are about to cut hopefully any day now. Poor DS has had a rough couple of weeks between illness and now teething! I try to use homeopathic during the day and Tylenol or Motrin for BT. It seems to have minimal affect as the last two nights he has been up every 1-2 hours! Last night was particularly horrendous. I'm letting him sleep in as he is notably exhausted from a rough couple of days.

I'm wondering how does someone maintain a consistent wake up and EASY when teething pain is so disruptive at night? I don't want to just throw away EASY or continue the late wake ups especially since we started to get back on track  ::)

What has been your experience or anyone else who wants to chime in? Do I just plow through the OT for the sake of the routine or do I allow the EASY to go a little bit by the wayside until the worst of it is over? My obvious concern is no routine and things going too haywire   :-X
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 20:48:34 pm »
Aw poor thing :( Teething is horrible, but so is OT, so no, you don't want to plough on regardless, you'll need to let him make up for those nights somehow. Personally, I prefer to keep WU consistent and perhaps A times a bit shorter if necessary, but I mostly try to make up for lost night sleep with early BT, since I don't really want to make up for it all during the day. Even if the night is still rubbish, at least with EBT  they've had a bit more sleep at night even with the wakings. But I suspect that others find that their LOs prefer different comings strategies - mine has really come about because we have to get up at the same time in the mornings during the week but have a little more flexibility when it comes to BT.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 21:49:46 pm »
Yes I agree OT is awful as well so I would love to avoid the build up. I hate seeing my little guy in pain and not getting the rest he needs.

Makes a lot of sense what you have done and I quite honestly like the approach of a consistent WU with EBT and maybe shorter A. How much shorter do you recommend? My LO does sleepy cues but they are habitual at 1.5-1.75 A so that's not reliable. When I have tried to follow his cues I always end up with a UT nap  ???

Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 23:03:44 pm »
Hmm that's hard to say since it would depend on just how bad the night was :-\ I think you're sensible not to want to reduce it too much, I'd probably tend to aim for the usual times but make sure to leave time (eg getting back from somewhere, or solids or whatever) to head for the nap early if needed. Perhaps 15mins early, 30mins tops. Consider how much he was awake in the night and how much more sleep he would need to make up for it. See how each nap goes - if he slept 2h but woke every 30mins he's clearly OT so you'll want to cut back on the next A time, iyswim?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 02:24:24 am »
Ok...so lets say last night he was up every 1-2 hours however, overall he slept 9-10 hours; should I maybe reduce A times by 15 minutes?
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 14:51:18 pm »
Sorry I'm not really managing to get on here enough to answer your questions in time! So if you feel he lost out on say a couple of hours over night, then you may not be able to make all of that up the next day, but perhaps aim for BT 30-60mjns early and so reduce A times earlier in the day to make that possible? Don't take that as a strict rule, though, by trying out a few things you'll discover how she prefers to make up for lost night sleep.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 17:34:06 pm »
It's ok! It was another disastrous night for us despite attempting shortened As. I think I need help with my EASY as I'm getting a lot of NW and shortened naps 35-42 minutes. I tried set naps for a week and it's not really working out. I am going to post on the EASY board.
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 12:59:24 pm »
Hey there, glad to see you're being well looked after on EASY :) The first year or so is hard for so many of us, but hang on in there, it does all get less intense as time goes on :-*

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 14:01:45 pm »
Thank you for the encouraging words! Yes it's definitely been a challenge but I'm learning to not dwell on them bc there is so much more to enjoy!
Jennifer xx