Author Topic: 9 months NW like a newborn  (Read 3956 times)

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
9 months NW like a newborn
« on: December 03, 2015, 06:03:43 am »
I'm losing it with DD. She will be 9 months on December 6th and not once has she StTn. I'm exhausted. She did a few nights of one NW only to be followed by weeks of multiple long NW. It's 10pm and DH is trying to settle her as I couldn't deal with it anymore. It's been 35 minutes. I did feed her even. But she won't go back to sleep. Just screams. And she's only been asleep for 3 hrs. Last night same thing. Then she woke at 11:30, 2:30, 3:30 when she was up for 1.45hrs. I tried Tylenol for teething at one point but that didn't do anything. I'm ready to throw in the towel. A

A few other notes. She has reflux but is on meds and doesn't seem to affected by it. She is mellow dying the day and goes down well for naps. I've tried long am nap and short pm nap and vice versa.

I don't even know where to start anymore.

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 9 months NW like a newborn
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 19:51:52 pm »
I'm so sorry it's not getting any better for you hun.

I'm not too sure what to suggest tbh. Have you noticed a pattern as to when the NW's are worse? Are the naps during the day longer or shorter when this happens? I'm going to have a read through your old threads and see if I can see a pattern somewhere ((hugs)) xx

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 00:50:44 am »
Thanks. I thought the other was so old I would be better off starting a new one. I feel like she's a mix of over tired but then under tired as well. I was trying out a short am nap and longer pm nap with a long A to bed time. But then today she ended up waking from her second nap after an hour. So two one hour naps. Now I don't know what to do about BT. She is already acting tired and it is only 4:30! She woke up at 7:45 today so that's a short day.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:35:50 am »
B was a pretty awful night sleeper for ages, I too tried short am, long ok for quite some time and just couldn't get it to work at all.  The combination of bad nights plus capping the first nap I think just kept us in some dreadful OT cycle (even with patches of UT thrown in) and things only really got quite a lot better once I just let him sleep.  I haven't read your previous thread so I'm not sure if your LO goes to sleep independently at bedtime?  Do you always end up feeding at NWs or does she go back independently then too?  My feeling would be to allow a long am nap for a few days, and an uncapped pm nap, and just see where it gets you.  Can't make it worse I guess? (((Hugs))) the constant broken sleep really takes its toll :(

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 18:49:50 pm »
Ugh, hon I am so so sorry you're still going through this!  We're all wracking our brains trying to think of how to help you best.  I like PP suggestion ^^ I agree, you have nothing to lose at this point. 
Do you have sleep doula's in WA?  We have them here for newborns but I don't know if there's a specific age cut off (under a year I imagine).  At least then you might get a bit of sleep for a night or two to regain your composure and a clear head. I feel for you!

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 16:02:49 pm »
Thank you so much ladies. Yesterday I listened to you and just let her sleep for her first nap. Her am nap was about 2.5 hours and then her pm nap. Then her pm nap was about an hour plus or minus a little bit. Also, before her second nap, she was majorly struggling to go down even though I knew she was so tired (she was almost settled and calm when S came in screaming that her brother hit her). So that didn't help. A client was coming to pick up their Christmas Cards, so I set her in her crib and went to answer the door. I could hear her fussing/crying a bit while I chatted with her. She never escalated and when I was done and the lady left, H was asleep! So maybe I am rushing too much. Though at BT there was a similar struggle and I tried letting her fuss as I could see her in the monitor rolling around the crib scratching at the sheet trying to settle, but it wasn't working. So I went in and had to pick her up and get her calm then lay her back down and place my hands on her. She finally went to sleep. And she only woke at 11:30pm! It is 8 am and she's still asleep. I will wake her in a minute as I don't want the day to start too late, but DH is gone climbing and I'm enjoying a little quiet in the house before the kids wake up!
So now I'm like, okay, let her sleep. But I normally have school runs. Which make it so so hard for naps. I may have to make sure her day starts early enough she can get in a good first nap before we have to leave at 12:15.

Offline lauradj

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 18:04:02 pm »
That's great!!!! Nyssa, I'm so happy for you, you must feel like a new person!! If nothing else, good night sleeping on the weekend will be a start.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 19:53:52 pm »
Yes it was amazing. She had another good day of naps and then probably was a little OT at BT. We had 2 NW which is better then it had been. But her morning nap she was up after just over an hour. It's like she does this and then gets progressively worse. Here's hoping for a good on nap.

Offline lauradj

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 23:18:33 pm »
Fingers, toes and eyes all crossed for you!!

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 09:34:40 am »
Nope. Awful night. Back to every two hrs NW. It's like if that nap is short she will for sure have a bad night. Then yesterday she did a good first nap and a short second nap (45) but then was OT at BT. I had to pat a long time to get her to settle. She was up at 10:30 and then1 am. It's 1:30 and she's still awake. DH is now lying on her floor with her as she plays because I wasn't getting anywhere getting her down. She nursed on both sides. Got a big burp out and she was still fighting me. It really seems that she's super responsive (in a bad way) to OT.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 19:33:52 pm »
We aren't making any progress and I really don't know what to do. It seems like a "good night" is still 2 NW around 10:30 or 11 and then again at 3. A rough night is where the 3am turns into a little party or DH just ends up lying on the floor with her to fall asleep (after I've tried to get her back down by nursing and patting for 20-30 minutes). Then the really bad nights where she's up every few hours starting around 9pm like last night.

Her day is something like this (give or take a little)
WU: 8am (I've been waking her, and she's sleeping in a little more lately as she's having all these parties.
S: 11-12  (though she's really been fighting nap time the past few days. Yesterday she went down fine for my mom, but not today for me and I have to wake at noon for the preschool run)
S: 3:15 - 4:15 (after the school run we wake after an hour if she's had a long am nap, which some days where there isn't school is 2.5 hours).
BT: 7:15.

On good nap days it is something like this:
WU: 7:45
S: 10:45-1pm
S: 3:45-4:45
BT: 7:45/8pm

Those days she usually does okay and wakes 2 (though that still is driving me crazy!)

Offline lauradj

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 03:33:47 am »
Ok, I'm going to offer suggestions based purely on what I personally am doing.  Maybe something will stick.  We've just started giving H a little snack around 9:30am after DH noticed he seemed really fretful and ticked off that T was eating a snack but he wasn't.  When we did that, he had no problem staying up for 3.5hrs, whereas previously I couldn't keep him awake for longer than 3 hrs.  I'm now letting him have an uncapped morning nap and then I give him a 45/60 min catnap in the afternoon between 3-4pm.  I'm doing this because a) I cannot think of how else to make naps work with day care pick up, and b) when he starts day care, hopefully end of February, I'd like him to be on one nap, as it's just easier.  He seems to be loving it!  It kind of sucks for me because today he napped for 2.5hr and I was stuck at home but maybe that's just what need to happen. 
Could you cap the morning nap and then do a solid 2hr nap in the afternoon, once everyone is home?  1-3ish?  Just a thought.  Man, we really need the real deal right now!

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 05:05:35 am »
When wouldyoufice the capped am nap to get that 1-3? I have to leave around 2:45 for pick up. But I could do a 12:45 m-2:45 pm nap. But that leaves a long time until BT.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 09:12:10 am »
I'm ready to just let her cry. I know. I know. I won't actually do it. But she's just screaming at me. Since a 6:30 BT she's woken up at 8:45 upon which after trying for a hour I gave up and let her be up. Put her to bed at 10 she was up at 10:30 and now 12:30. It's 1:10 and I give up. I had fed her and she was asleep then when I left she woke up again. I went back in and patted and patted and worked to resettle. She just got madder and madder. I picked her up. She was still mad. Nothing I did helped. DH came in it she got even madder when he took over. We gave her gripe water. And now she's sitting up playing with a book on the floor while DH lays there. I am so fed up with her lack of sleep. I'm ready to throw in the towel and just wear ear plugs. I'm so desperate

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 08:20:51 am »
Oh big big hugs hun :-* :-* ok I'm going to read back over the whole thread to see if there's anything I can suggest.....but wanted to offer hugs in the mean time so you know we are here xx