Author Topic: Yet another question  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 03, 2015, 15:02:12 pm »
Me again. Can't find an answer anywhere else.
Lo is now napping well at home, self settling etc. I put her down approx hour and a half after awake time and she self settles quickly in her cot.
My question now is, in four hourly feeding routine, she has 2 big naps and a short evening nap, does this sound OK?
So she'll go down around 9-11:30 ish, 1-3:30 ish, then a short nap 5:30-6:15 ish. Bedtime routine starting about half an hour -45 mins after this nap.
I find it all very confusing and if I'm honest I'm suffering with pas and anxiety attacks which don't help  :-\
Lo sleeps well at night with one feed early hours. U am hoping to introduce a dream feed to see if she will miss the early hours feed.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Yet another question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 19:58:44 pm »
How old is she? It might be an idea to get a ticker for your signature! It really helps!!

From what it sounds like you're doing great. Wonderful naps and NT sleep, wish I had had that!! You've obviously done well establishing a routine.

Some bubbas don't do so well with a DF. You could well try it, but you might find she wakes up for the early hours one too  ::). Personally if I had that routine with only one NF I'd stick with it! Xx

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 20:57:07 pm »
Thanks, I think cos the night feed is around 4-5 am I really struggle to settle back after and am pooped. I know I should be happy for just 1 wake up. Maybe I will leave her and see what happens. I think I've been stressing too much about a routine I am interfering with her. Maybe I should go back to following her lead for a bit as she has done well so far!
She's probably thinking, bloody hell mother leave me to it!!!
I think my anxiety makes me go into overdrive and I want to gain control, which is stupid cos babies do what babies do!
You get so torn with different peoples opinions. My sister in law says dream feed cos my lo is starving for the early hours feed and she may never drop it, then my HV came today, she said her lo did the same as mine and the dream feed didn't work and just upset her previously manageable routine!!
She is only 12 weeks so I know she is doing really well. The nap thing has been a massive improvement as she was a serial 30 min napper and would scream cos she couldn't self settle, she has found her thumb!!
Before I had her I was keen not to try and enforce any strict routine and to allow her to lead me, but then you start to google things and try things, some things I find completely baffling!!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 17:47:18 pm »
It's all a guessing game, but you're completely right. We need to follow their lead a little too. I too struggle to get back to sleep at a 4/5am wu. It sucks but it really won't be forever. My DD loved her DF but it really isn't for all bubbas. You really have done so well to have such a great routine, honestly. I really wish mine had looked like that at that age!!!

Wrt the NF. She will drop it when she's ready. Promise you. If she doesn't there are ways to wean her off it in many many months to come. We can help you with that when/if  the time comes, so please don't worry about it now. There's also a huge GS around 4mo where another feed might have to reintroduced for a while so do keep that in the back of your mind and don't feel like everything has messed up when that happens ok? Xx

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 13:39:20 pm »
Thanks, everything has gone  up today, back to refusing to nap  :-\
I leather with dh this morning he put her down for her nap as I would've done after about an hour and a half, still pleasant, not looking overtired. I got in and he said she had laid in her cot awake for an hour, started crying so he brought her down. She was playing in her chair when I got in. She was then knackered with next feed. She finished this upstairs and went straight down, she is now whinging in bed after 35 mins!! I'm in fear that the 30 min naps are back again  :'(

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 15:07:20 pm »
12 weeks is a growth spurt, so sleep will be wonky for a while.

And yes, 2 big naps and a smaller one is fine if it seems to agree with her. :) Her sleep/eat schedule may be shifted once GS is over, so don't be caught off-guard!

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 16:46:22 pm »
Wrt the NF. She will drop it when she's ready. Promise you.
Yes! I didn't do a DF with either of my LOs since I like to go to bed early so it made no sense to me to wake up and feed them. Both of them dropped NF's on their own when they were ready (and I was lazy with DS and fed him for pretty much every NW;)).
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 21:45:04 pm »
I was wrong and panicking earlier. She didn't wake after 30 mins and slept for 3 hours!!
She was so happy after it. She then had a half hr after her next feed then bath 40 mins later, bottle and bed. I've decided against the dream feed and like you said I go to bed early ish so to either wake myself to dream feed or keep myself awake, is stupid. Oh would do it but if it went wrong he'd panic that I'd blame him lol.
To be fair, the amounts she's drinking she should sleep through, gotta love a growth spurt. Don't know we're she puts it all!! She looks too little for 8oz bottles!!! She is getting over bronchiolitis too so is probably refilling her tank!!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 09:13:38 am »
Yay, great nap! There will always be good and bad days. A wise BW once told me that you can only offer them sleep, it's up to them to take it. They are humans after all... Some days they are more tired, others not. Just like us! You are honestly doing so well, just remember that  :)

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 13:25:52 pm »
Thanks. She slept through from 8-6:30 last night too! Pity I woke at 4 waiting for her to wake lol!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 16:11:33 pm »
Ha ha that's always the way isn't it! Hopefully she'll do the same tonight and you won't wake up xx

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 20:30:52 pm »
Let's hope eh? She's had her usual milk intake across 4 feeds and a sneaky snack today. But who knows she can be a little piggy at times, allowed in a growth spurt, plus she's recovering from bronchiolitis!  ;)