Author Topic: How do I get my 11 month old back on track after regression?  (Read 6294 times)

Offline Jmpratt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: How do I get my 11 month old back on track after regression?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2016, 12:58:25 pm »
Hey!

I haven't noticed a pattern-same on days with 2 naps. It lasted less time on the day that last A time was only 4 with 2 naps so maybe it's when last A is too long.

I read a bunch of other moms with 13 month olds and the exact same issue at the same time just and everything.  Night terrors or scared of the dark, leg cramps or separati anxiety.....whatever it is, it seems like it's developmental. 

I'm open to some tweaks though! 

Of course last night she sttn?! Cried out at 2 times but was able to put herself back. 

Daycare nap days
WU 7
N 1130-1220
N 230-320
BT 7

Or maybe
N 1130-1240
N 345-430
BT 830

At home we tried to cap first nap but she wouldn't go for 2 one.
WU 7
N 1120-1245
Tried CN at 4 and again at 5
BT 645

Let me know your thoughts!

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2016, 07:16:04 am »
On the at home days you may have to cap that first nap a little more. Remember DC is more stimulating for these LO's hence why she's more likely to take a nap. You could try just a 30mins nap at 11-11.30, or even 45mins, then hope for a nap 2-2.5hrs later?? I did this later on in the transition when DD was mostly refusing her second nap and other have found it helps lengthen them being on two naps. However, it does take some tweaking to find the right A time xx

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2016, 12:59:02 pm »
Hey Kelly!

Long time! I sent you a private message bu not sure it went through or if I had the right name.  We are doing well, hence the decreased posts and questions!!  LO is SSTN!  She figured it out.  And so have I.  We are. Still working on 2-1 nap transition and I haven't moved to living room while she's awake yet.  But we're close.  The 2 coincide for me since she's OT I don't want to expect her to learn the new skill.  But on DC days she's not OT and in that regard I'm putting it off since she is sleeping well. 

Any suggestions for 2-1 with our schedule?  I haven't tried the CN at 11 yet. 

WU 730
Nap 1230-2
BT 7-730

Daycare
WU 730
Nap 11-12
Nap 330-430 roughly
BT 730-8

No difference in nighttime sleep with schedule but obviously fussy on the 1 nap days and sometimes harder to soothe at BT. 

Any ideas why she's only sleeping 1.5 hours on the 1 nap days?  We put her down at 1 one day and she still only did 1.5???  She was doing 2-2.5 last month or so.

Thanks!!!

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2016, 22:11:55 pm »
Yay for STTN :D

It often seems to take LOs a while to lengthen their nap once they get to one nap, sometimes it almost just seems to be a matter of time, and once they're used to it the naps lengthen naturally. However, do be aware that OT can creep in gradually, and a 1.5h nap can actually often indicate OT. I wonder what would happen if you pulled back on that A for a one nap day ever so slightly, and tried 1215 or even 12pm? Perhaps last month she was just so tired from the leap that she crashed out for a long nap, but now she has accumulated OT and isn't quite tired enough to crash for 2.5h but tired enough to wake unsettled at 1.5h?? Does she ever resettle after that 1.5h nap? How does this suggestion tally with your experience of her?

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2016, 02:03:35 am »
Timbler! 

Thanks for the quick response!

I have considered this idea but haven't tried it.  She is a sensitive baby and doesn't go to sleep easily of its not the right A time.  Sh has slept longer when she's up longer but your suggestion might really be true.  Could she be OT and still STTN?  Knock on wood.   I will be trying it tomorrow.  If she wakes after 1-1.5 hrs, I'll just have to try to put her down for a CN.  Guess that's the other reason I haven't wants to try it. 

I've also thought about breaking up the nap into 2 like she does at daycare, but that feels like backward movement to me.  Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2016, 20:02:56 pm »
Well I'm not saying it's a definite, you will have a better idea than me whether it fits with what you're seeing of her, but I think it's possible that she may be a bit OT before her nap, but then you get her to bed early enough afterwards so that she's not too OT at BT and does a good night. I probably wouldn't make too big a change to start with, even 10-15mins earlier for the nap may be plenty to take the edge of any OT. On the other hand of course it may be that she needs a little more A before her nap! I just suggested OT as you said she seemed tired, also on the two nap days she goes down 1.5h earlier for 1h, so I'd have thought she'd really need more than 1.5h when she's going down that much later, iyswim?

I'd generally recommend going for one short and one long nap when heading towards the 2-1, just because you want them eventually on one long nap, but I know that's not practical for some families. If she struggles to get down for a pm CN after a long nap then you could consider a short UT morning nap instead, aiming for a long afternoon nap, but the timings for that can be tricky to find! On the other hand, you may feel that things are working pretty well at the moment so you'd rather not rock the boat too much :) It's quite common for LOs to switch between one and two nap days for a while before finally dropping down to one, my DS for example carried on having two nap days at his CM for a few weeks after he'd dropped to one at home, it helped him to cope with the transition. At some point he started refusing the morning nap altogether but by that time he was ready for one nap every day. HTH?

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2016, 00:14:51 am »
All very helpful!  So hard to figure out and so very glad I have help 😉

Here's the report from today.

WU 740
Nap 12-150
BT 740

I tried to put her down at 640 but she was not ready and screamed so I read some ore to her and she talked herself to sleep like she usually does. 
Very common for her day to be exactly 12 hrs.  I just hate that the 5 hr A time!  Terrible.  Part of me thinks she's gotten use to it since she's talking herself pleasantly to sleep. 

She still did just under 2 hrs.  Which is the same thing she gets at daycare on 2 nap days so maybe that's all she needs?

Either way I totally understood your reasoning and had thought about doing it myself.  Glad to try it and see.  Also, I almost tried to resettle her but DS came into room and that was the end of that.

It sounds like she's doing what your LO did with the 2 naps some days and 1 naps others, home.  Maybe if she sleeps well, I need to stop worrying so much?  And wait for her to be ready for the 1 nap transition that will be longer as you said initially...

Thanks again. 

Offline trimbler

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2016, 12:55:06 pm »
Haha yes definitely stop worrying if she's sleeping well :P but I completely understand that's so much easier to say than do ;)

I found that interesting seeing her day yesterday - so she had 40mins less A time but napped 20mins more :) If you feel that last A is really too long for her then you could try giving her 4.5h before her nap, ie just 10mins more than yesterday, in the hope that she naps a bit longer and then can manage that last A better? But as you say, it really sounds like she's doing well and she may actually just prefer a longer A to BT on    one nap day. Bear in mind that if you're cutting down the A before her nap then she may well need a bit longer afterwards to keep the same total A in the day.

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2016, 19:23:56 pm »
Thanks so much!  LO is transitioning to 1 nap 😊.  This past week, she started taking a 1.5-2 hr nap at daycare and this weekend she has taken the same length, 12:30-2:30.  She is sleeping through for the most part, was up last night at 1130, hard time settling fully until 130 😩 It could be teeth for sure or the fact that daddy put her to sleep.  I was fully expecting her to be up to see me since I put her to sleep every night but a few a month. 

She slept til 8 yesterday and 839 today so I pushed nap til 130 and she is still sleeping and it's not 320 so she's figuring it out!  Just hope she doesn't start having parties like last night. 

Thanks so much for the help and support through this change-lo's keep things exciting don't they?!

I had her now,  take care!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2016, 20:18:34 pm »
That sounds great, thanks for the update :D sorry about the long NW though, let's hope it's as you said. Expect her to take a little while to settle into a really solid one nap routine though - as you know we're all here to help each other through those bumps :-* But I am thinking that your LO must be 12mo by now? So please could I ask you to start a new thread in Toddler Sleep when you need to? That's how we split up our sleep boards here, although I know I personally didn't really see my LOs as toddlers until a few months after their first birthdays :P time flies, eh? :)