Author Topic: 7 month sleep gone to the dumps  (Read 843 times)

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 04, 2015, 17:16:11 pm »
I'm hoping someone can help me out. Last time I ran into a big sleep problem with my LO, the input of those on here helped tremendously and we got to the best place we have been yet sleep-wise.

Recently my 7 month old starting waking multiple times a night and naps have gone down the tube.  We just got back from holiday, where our whole family were in the same hotel room. He refused to sleep in his crib, and as a result, he slept on me and nursed a lot.  I believe this might be part of the regression.  Previous to the holiday, he was waking once between 2-4:30am for a feed, back down until 7. It was GLORIOUS! 

Schedule:

6:20am - wake
8:20am - nap
9am - wake
11:30am - nap
1pm - wake
4:15pm - nap
5:15pm - forced wake up to preserve bedtime
7pm - asleep
10pm - wakeup
2am - wakeup

We are transitioning to 2 naps. IF he takes a good first nap our day ends up looking like:
7am - wake
9am - nap
11am - wake
2pm - nap
4pm - wake
7pm - bedtime

This has only happened a few times as he seems to be really struggling with this first nap. He's very good on solid foods now, doesn't seem to be having any reactions to anything. Possibly teething but even when given tylenol or advil, everything is still a mess.

I really do not like his multiple night wakings and want to eliminate the early one and get back to where we were pre-holiday.
Can anyone provide any insight. Is there a schedule change needed? Should we be pushing the 2 naps more, backing off the 2 nap? 

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: 7 month sleep gone to the dumps
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 15:28:27 pm »
Hi there, at first glance I wonder if that 1st A time needs to be pushed out some more? I am out the door but will be back! Most LOs are closer to 2.5 to 3 hours A at this age...

Maryn

[/url]

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 17:37:04 pm »
Okay, thanks. I'll try to stretch it out. We were going to do the 2-3-4 schedule because I was having a hard time stretching the morning awake period, but we got to 2.25 today, probably by the time he was asleep was closer to 2.5.

Offline nevinsmama

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 11:31:04 am »
Is the 234 schedule when you have a last A of 4 hours? Am I reading that right? If so, I would be sure to watch for building up OT, a last A of 4 hours can lead to early evening wakings as that is a more typical A time for a 10 month old.  Just something to keep an eye on.

Maryn

[/url]

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 19:04:52 pm »
Yes, it would be a 4hr awake period before need....We haven't been able to do it yet. Perhaps is but the best plan!

I got to 2.5 hrs this morning and he's still asleep (2+hrs of a nap).  This should set us up for a 2 nap day.  He's waking now around midnight and 5 am.  I'm trying to reduce the time I spend with him at midnight in hopes to eliminate that waking. Not having any luck so far.

I'm hoping with this longer A time in the a.m. , it sets us up for a better day and will hopefully help to resolve the night waking.  My previous child weaned herself from night feeds so it feels new having to try to teach him to do it. 

Offline nevinsmama

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 22:45:43 pm »
OK, yes some LOs would happily take 45 minute naps all day and wake every 2 hours all night if we let them!
I would think  a 4 hour last A would really be over the top for a LO this age.
When you say  "reduce the time you spend with him" what does that mean? I would surely expect 2 NFs at this age.
Just somethings to bear in mind as far as an age appropriate routine.

Maryn

[/url]

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 01:02:27 am »
I just mean before our vacation, he was happily only waking once a night. Since returning he wakes twice. In the first waking (the new one) I've been dropping 1 minute off the breastfeeding every couple nights. He pulls off happily and goes back to sleep with no complaining and I'm only in there now for 7 minutes. I give him as long as he needs at the 2nd waking. I read this was a good gentle way to wean without the crying. They would eventually figure a couple minutes wouldn't be worth waking for and go back to sleep? 

Offline nevinsmama

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 01:17:32 am »
Oh, OK, I get it now. Yes, that sounds like a plan. Keep us posted!

Maryn

[/url]