Author Topic: 13 month- need to fill her more in daytime  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Twosweetgirls

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
13 month- need to fill her more in daytime
« on: December 05, 2015, 20:44:38 pm »
So my daughter is 13 months and last night woke up every three hours and breastfed quite a bit. This has been going on more lately. I have been trying to get her full from solids but she seems to be trying to always get more breast milk. I have been toying with the idea to try some formula after solids before breastmilk to get more fill up but that seems like another headache to begin if I can do it another way. Any ideas? My schedule is

6 am bf
7 wake up
8 breakfast- cereal bananas and cow milk ( barely takes anything)
11 lunch - veggie pieces, bread pieces, water yogurt. (Not eating much but yogurt)
1130 bf and then nap
130 wake up
3 snack- fruit pieces and milk ( again barely anything)
530 supper - pieces of our supper and then soething like baby cereal to fill up
630 bf and asleep by 7

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 13 month- need to fill her more in daytime
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 21:36:40 pm »
Are the milk and yogurt full-fat? Definitely not low-fat or skim, especially at this age - they need all the good fats they can get.

Have you tried avocado? You can mash it up alone; we added some olive oil to it. A small dollop of butter or coconut oil in the cereal is another way to add good fats to the diet as well. Is she eating any meat yet?

At this age she can still do with plenty of breast milk, but if she's waking that much at night, a supper with more protein and/or good fats can help keep her fuller longer.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 22:50:12 pm »
I agree with Deb that LOs this age do still need milk but I'd say a 13 month old really doesn't need to be waking in the night to take milk.  I would cut the night feeds. If she's BF every 3 hrs at night and taking a good feed she won't be hungry in the day for solids so she's picking little bits of her meals in the day and probably getting most of her calories in the night from the milk.

2 milk feeds in the day is enough, that doesn't mean you can't give more (like the 11.30 BF) but if there are more than 2 in the day then I'd say that's even more reason to stop BF at night or else she isn't going to be inclined to take solids.
There are options for cutting the night feeds depending what suits you.

Offline Twosweetgirls

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 16:51:21 pm »
Thanks so much! So I tried adding more fats and proteins and since then she has been getting better every night.  We don't eat meat regularly and the rest of my family gets enough protein other ways, but I hadn't noticed that she wasn't eating those things.  I had been focusing on grains to fill her.  Now with more protein she is waking up way less! Thanks!  I know she shouldn't need feeds at night but there have been several times that she proved that she was actually hungry.  So Im trying to solve that before fighting her on habit wake ups.  She is not an easy child to fight! Thanks for the info.