Author Topic: NW after a cold and loss of appetite  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Jules77

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
NW after a cold and loss of appetite
« on: December 06, 2015, 08:28:23 am »
Hi

DS2 had a cold that started 8 days ago. After the first day or so his appetite went almost completely and he would only take a couple of oz at each feed (bottle fed apart from first thing in am and bedtime). This has steadily increased as the week has gone on, but he is still taking an oz less at each feed than he was before the cold.

Because his day feeds were so small I've basically been feeding him every time he wakes at night and we've now gone back to 3 feeds a night. Prior to the the cold he would have a DF at 10.45 and the go through until somewhere between 5.30-7.00. Now, he wakes for a feed between 9.30 - 10.30 and the around 1 and again around 5-6.

Is this normal, and how long does it usually last?

I have post natal anxiety issues and the they are all linked to sleep, his and mine and things were going really well prior to the cold. Now we have more NW I get less sleep and the bad times are coming back. I think I need some reassurance things will improve.

He is 16 weeks, I missed that bit off, sorry.

Has anyone else been through this? I need some hope that it will improve. DS2 is quite happy now cold has abated but my mood has dropped totally due to NW and I can feel my other half getting really fed up now I seem to be back having problems.

The other question I wanted to ask is more of an EAt question but I'll pop it here anyway. Tell me to repost if necessary.

Before the cold I was working on stretching the time between feeds as 3 hours was to short. We had got to around 3.15 to 3.30, but we were very much in a transition phase. Now I have no idea really where we are so I'm basically working on 3 hours minimum unless he shouts for it and the wait for him to show signs of hunger rather than feed to a schedule. Does this sound like the right approach?

Thanks in advance.

Jules
Mummy to:

Elliot Ronald - 9th May 2012
Leo Ross - 12th August 2015

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: NW after a cold and loss of appetite
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 19:58:23 pm »
Hi Jules,

I would continue as you're doing until the cold wears off. I hate colds  :-\. They find it so difficult to feed with a stuffy nose. It will pass ok? One thing I found to really help is to put a vaporub on the soles of their feet. I don't know why it works but it does! Just make sure he can't touch his feet after it goes on.

I would also stick to 3hrs in between feeds for now. My DD was on 3-hourly feeds until she was around 5-6mths I think, it's just what some bubbas prefer.

Just remember he's feeling yucky and is trying to sleep and feed, all you can do is assist and give cuddles and let him know he'll be better soon. That goes for you too, try to not let it get to you ok? Colds really are the pits and I do feel for you. We still have numerous NW's here when DD has a cold and it's not fun xx

Offline Jules77

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:05:26 am »
Thanks. I realise he isn't well and would do anything to take his yucky feeling away and have it myself.

He is improving now.

Can I ask for another bit of advice? When he wakes around 6 I find it tricky to know what to do. Occasionally on the past if not happy he has talked himself back to sleep, but other times not. If for example he chats away for 20 mins to say 6.20, then gets upset I go down to feed him quietly in the dark and he usually falls to sleep feeding (early morning feed is breast). I then out him down with the intention to then wake for the day between 7.15-7.30 once DS1 up and downstairs. However quite often I put him down, seemingly asleep only for him to be awake 5 mins later. So..... When do I start working out his timings from? Has he been awake since 6 when he started? Or has he been awake since after I put him back bed? These mornings make it really tricky to know when next sleep is likely. His sleep cues are very very subtle and unless I nail it he defaults to 45 min naps. He often catches up with his next nap, but not always.

All advice needed and thanks as always.

Jules
Mummy to:

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:51:17 pm »
It's a difficult one as he is poorly atm. Personally I counted the A time from when I got her out of bed in the morning. But mine always defaulted to 45mins naps too and could cope with the longer A time. Some do count it from they get out of bed but take half the time off it. So if awake from 6, out of bed at 6.30, they'd do 15mims extra A time if that makes sense? Xx

Offline Jules77

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 09:47:46 am »
Thanks, yes makes sense.

He is much better now and appetite has returned, and at 3h 45 min intervals in last day or so.

This morning he woke before 6 but after a feed I was able to get him to sleep until 7.30, which in my mind allows him to catch up on wake time before 6 as my preferred wake time is 7, but it took that long to feed and for him to fall back to sleep.

Thank you for all your advice, thankfully he is much better now so I'm hoping we can get back to where we were before the cold, but who knows....
Mummy to:

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 19:41:54 pm »
Good luck, do pop back once he's better and if you need help with a new plan xx