Author Topic: 7.5 month old NW all night long- HELP- Can't do it anymore!  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 7.5 month old NW all night long- HELP- Can't do it anymore!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 14:50:15 pm »
I think it's because we still need to work on moving that first nap out soon. She's trying to start her day from then, but can't quite as needs the extra sleep. The NF at this time could wake her up more as it's so close to waking up for the day, so she was in light sleep. Just like us really. If something disturbs me from 5.30am onwards, I find it difficult to go back to sleep too.

Overall, I think we're getting there. I would like to see the day length increased slightly as I feel we should be working towards 11.5hrs ONS rather than 12, given the time taken up with the NW's, but with increasing the first A again by 15mins, I think we could get close to it soon. Wdyt? Fancy giving another increase a go in the next day or two? Xx

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 14:46:44 pm »
OK.  I'm cautious about adding too much time to the first A, as I feel like she is genuinely ready for a nap by 930 and has been sleeping really well during these naps, but I will try to add 10 mins this week to see how it goes.  Yesterday went something like this:

7:20: WU
9:55-11:25: S (the longest she's ever slept without a wake up!)
2:45-3:20: S (could not get back to sleep, was awake and playing in crib for 20-30 mins, not crying ever)
6:30: S

NW: 10:45 (seemed very uncomortable- suspect teething), 11:50 (fed and gave motrin), 3:50 (fed)- woke up at 6:05 and did not go back down. 

Got her out of bed today at 6:30.  Down for first nap at 8:50 (had been awake since 6:05)

Another question- and perhaps I should post this on a different board if you think it's more appropriate.  We are heading out for a few weeks of travel in a couple days and I'm nervous about all the sleep things.  Here are some questions:

1.) Our flight is early in the morning, requiring us to leave the house at 6am.  What would you suggest as a good process for waking/trying to keep DD asleep, knowing her patterns as stated in previous posts of EASY routine?  The drive to the airport is about 20 mins....

2) We are traveling for 5 days to Aruba, where the time difference there is 1 hour ahead.  Then we are traveling to visit family for 10 days where the time is our local time, so 1 hour behind what it will be in Aruba.  Is it worth trying to adjust her to the new time just for 5 days or try to keep her a little later so she can adjust better back to regular time after Aruba?

3) Any tips or suggestions for keeping naps and night time sleep solid while traveling??  Should I plan on reducing A time? Early BT?

Thanks.....

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 18:21:10 pm »
You're right, that first nap does look good. The wu that morning looked nice too!

It might be that the second A actually needs an increase rather then. Definitely seems UT there. Perhaps that's where we add on the 15mins extra A time for now?

Travelling... That sounds amazing before I forget to say! Is it for Xmas?
I only just recently travelled with DD at 2yo choosing to not do it before that. We've never really had a need like visiting family abroad.

I would aim for an EBT the night before if you can? Even if she does her 6.30am BT, a wu of 5.30am or even a little later will still be 11hrs ONS and she should be fine. I think you shouldn't even try to keep her asleep. It's just not going to happen. My motto is plan for the worst.. If she falls asleep, bonus, but set your expectations low ok? It's going to be exciting and she will pick up on your nervousness.

No I wouldn't try and adjust to the new time. I would just go by the old clock considering it's only for 5days. And actually the EBT for her (albeit normal time) might allow you some extra time with your family? That's how I'd look at it!

Yes, there will probably be lots of extra stimulation with lots of family around. You really do have to go with the flow and try not be too regimented during this time ok? Tbh it's when we've been away with family I've realised what tweaks I can make to Dd's routine as to what she can handle with the extra stimulation. The odd later BT really doesn't matter. Sometimes they sleep in the next morning, sometimes not. But then you can guarantee she'll take a longer nap and balance it out if you just give her chance. I would also suggest not capping naps so much either, unless they go over 2hrs. As inevitably that'll be the day they need a later BT. Do you see where I'm going with this? It will be an upheaval, but once you get back home again you'll be more confident as to what she's capable of, trust me. Then a few days at home and everything settles back down to normal again. Does that help? Xx

Offline eogan0622

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 19:51:54 pm »
Thank you so much again.  Your travel advice sounds right on- I know I need to just let go a bit when we travel- it's just hard when I feel like she's finally in a good groove and then everything gets messed up again! But we'll figure it out.  Your advice about just getting her up for the day is so much better than banking on her staying asleep. Much more realistic.

Today has turned out pretty good for her sleep- despite early WU (6:05) she slept 8:50-10:35 and went down again at 1:45 and is 1 hr 10 mins in so far.

The 8:50 nap this morning was after a 2 hr 45 min A time, so maybe I should stick to that for a couple days and see how that, plus the 2nd A time of 3 hrs 15 mins goes...

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 20:17:50 pm »
Definitely! We can but try. In any case we know that worked today so it gives us something to go on xx

Offline eogan0622

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 16:11:07 pm »
Naps and nighttime yesterday were great.  She ended up napping 1:45-3:00.  BT at 6:30.  She had one wake up at 10:30 that required DH to do 1x PU/PD, and she was back asleep within 5-10 mins.  She got up at 2:00 to eat and then woke up at 5:45 (!).  How do you think I need to proceed with EW?  This morning, I waited about 15 mins, DH gave paci, she wass till awake, so I fed at 6:10 and put back down.  She eventually fell back asleep 6:40-7:10....So I counted 7:10 as her WU?  Is there a better way to deal with the EW during these A time transitions?

Now today has been a little funky.  She had that little re-sleep 6:40-7:10 so I put her down for nap and she was asleep at 9:45 (2:35 A time) and she was OUT.  But she got up after 35 mins!  She did have a poop- and I couldn't get her back down so up for the morning.  I'm thinking I'll still try to get her to 3 hrs 15 mins A time and have her down at 1:30 today...I was hoping she'd sleep longer so that I can put her down for BT later and hopefully eliminate that EW...

What do you think?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 20:01:13 pm »
Argh, just lost my reply to you! Sorry this might be brief before my ioad crashes again...The EW have only been for the last couple of days haven't they? We have to remember that first A is still quite short compared to the average but that second A is good.

Tbh we've extended quite a lot recently so it might be an idea to keep it the same for a day or two longer. During this I would try and resettle her EW just as you're doing. You're being consistent and telling her it's not time to be awake yet. I want to keep an eye on it as technically it's not an EW as it's still 11hrs ONS so with these new longer naps it just might be all she's capable of yk? If the naps continue to be a good length and the night has shorter  to 11hrs regularly we can make a new plan for that, it won't be a problem xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 20:33:59 pm »
Found this and thought of you... Thought it might help? Xx

Staying on track with LO's routine while traveling