Author Topic: 2.5 year old crying and wanting me every half an hour  (Read 1630 times)

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2.5 year old crying and wanting me every half an hour
« on: December 07, 2015, 20:37:37 pm »
Hi my 2.5 year old is just getting over a cold.  It's not a bad cold but she's become really clingy.  For the past couple of nights she's crying for one of us to go to her every 20 minutes to half an hour. Last night she was asking for her nappy changed, kept getting out of bed and asking to be up.  Previously she has always waited for us to get her up and has never got herself out of bed.  She would wake about 5ish sometimes but that's it.  Do you think it's just from her cold or a phase? How can we stop it? She doesn't have a gate on her door but I have a feeling she'd try and climb over it.  We have a 8 week old do you think it could stem from that and she's after more attention? My partner and I have also been suffering from a cold and we're totally exhausted and getting no sleep at all.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 20:39:35 pm by lyssie28 »

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 2.5 year old crying and wanting me every half an hour
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 23:23:34 pm »
Ugh!  Nothing is worse than two needy kids when you're sick and a little needy yourself!  I'm willing to be that it's a combination of her having been sick and then new addition the family.  I found my DS1 got a little bent out of shape about 3 weeks after DS2 came home and it lasted for about 2 weeks, maybe it's just happening later for your DD?  What DH did was he went to him once and held him, told him Mommy and Daddy loved him and he was safe and could go to sleep.  The next time he went in he said the same thing but then told DS he would sit in the chair for 2 minutes and then he was going to leave and go to sleep in our room.  DS accepted that and it went off without a hitch.  Having said that, DS1 is the most easy going kid you'll meet and he was also still in a crib at that time.  I hope that helps somewhat!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 14:05:52 pm »
Is she still napping?  And, if so, for how long for?  OT (if no nap) or UT (if napping too much) could be a possible cause too..

What sort of time is she having these NWs?  Or are they at BT when she's asking for you to go back?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 10:53:32 am »
She is still napping most days 12-1or 1.30.  Sometimes she goes for her nap and just talks to herself for half an hour so I get her up and some days she is so tired she fall straight asleep and I have to walk her up. 

She has calmed down a bit but at bedtime she will cry on and off wanting us to go in to her. If she wakes around 5 she does the same too.  We're up and down every 20 minutes.  I sit next to her and tell her it's sleepy time but as soon as I go to the door she cries. If we try to ignore her she gets hysterical.  Not sure how to approach this as previously we could just say night night and she would happily go off to sleep.

Offline cath~

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 11:23:21 am »
Do you notice a difference on days when she does/doesn't nap?   What time is BT on nap/no-nap days?

Have you tried gro clock/lights on a timer for the EWs?

I think you're handling it the right way if it's to do with getting over a cold/new baby.  Although possibly it could be partly UT on nap days and maybe the nap could be capped a little?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 12:00:07 pm »
Yes I think maybe the nap is too long now do you think I should start to phase it out? Maybe do 45 minutes and see how she goes and then decrease it? I always put her to bed at 7 unless she asks to go earlier.  If she doesn't nap she usually still has quiet time, usually reading our just playing with her teddy bears which seems to calm her a bit. If she doesn't do this she becomes over stimulated and runs riot at bedtime.  Do you think I should put her to bed at 6.30 on no nap days?

Offline cath~

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 12:16:10 pm »
Maybe do 45 minutes and see how she goes
yeah, this might be worth a try.  See if it helps.

What does your gut say?  DYT she's possibly UT from the nap or DYT it could be more developmental/emotional issues from the recent cold and new baby?

Usually ppl find doing a slightly EBT after a NND is a good thing.  HOwever, if your current 7pm BT seems to be working fine still on NNDs then maybe stick with it. That could be a sign that she is ready for no nap more often, or at least a shorter nap.  What time does she tend to wake in the morning?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 21:02:18 pm »
She is waking between 6.30-7am and its the same time whether she's napped or not.  I think maybe it could be a combination of everything that is making her wake.  She has been a bit jealous through the day because of her little sister so it could be she's after that extra attention and made even worse because of her cold.  I will try reducing the naps and see if that does anything.  Thanks for your help :-)

Offline cath~

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 07:10:39 am »
Keep us posted :). Hope you get some better sleep soon x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old