Author Topic: 20 month old nightmare sleep atm  (Read 1509 times)

Offline avrillo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 08, 2015, 00:48:04 am »
I posted about a month ago about my then 19 mth old who was refusing naps when he'd been consistent in 1.5 hr naps for months (1 nap since about 12 mths). He has never got back into a proper routine despite my being really consistent. At that time he was waking between 6-7am and napping 12.30 for 1.5hrs BT 7pm. Then started fighting naps so I moved it later first to 1pm then 1.15 but then he started waking earlier. Cutting canines hasn't helped but the last 2 weeks he is waking earlier and earlier but napping has resumed. OMG Im dying here this morning it was 4am. I'm exhausted as I'm dealing with health issues myself and this is super draining and stressful. He's exhausted too and looks it. Again he's now almost cutting another canine (the last thank goodness) so I know this is impacting things but Im out of ideas. Where do I go from here?? So he was awake at 4am not up until 5am when he was crying down for a nap at 12.30 (still there at 1.45). He sleeps really well from once he goes to bed until his first wake up time at 4-5.15am then will not resettle. He was always an EW (5.30am ish)until about 16 mths when everything fell into place and he started waking later so this is really hard to take. Could this be an extra long sleep regression on top of teething?? How do I stop it??

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 20 month old nightmare sleep atm
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 07:36:10 am »
Hi there those 4am wake ups are a nightmare aren't they!!

Do you think he maybe needs a longer day, at that age with a good 1.5/2 hour nap we'd be having a 13/13.5 hour day!? Maybe he's just had enough sleep by the morning.
I might be inclined to let him have the long nap then make BT later for a day or 2...
It was around this age that I had to consider shortening nap a bit as it started to steal from night sleep.

When teeth are coming through its often a case of just do the best you can until they're through then start a plan again.
Have you got a gro clock etc?
Zoe

Offline avrillo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 07:44:40 am »
Well recently he's been up since about 5-5.30 and BT is at 7pm so that's a 13.5-14 hr day with approx. 1.5 hr nap. I started capping naps at 1.5 hrs many months ago to help stretch mornings and something worked back then. Think you're right though I will have to wait until the tooth is through and then assess from there. Yesterday he just had a 20 min nap as we were en route home and he slept in the car but woke when we got home and wouldn't resettle. Then tried early BT at 6.30 as he was shattered. Alas a 4am wake up. Its exhausting. Today he slept for 2.5 hrs- its so hard to shorten the nap when he's been up since 4am and I know hes shattered, just trying to avoid being too overtired. Its so hard, chicken or the egg situation.....

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 13:26:09 pm »
It's a tricky age so much going on.

Have u tried a super early BT just to see of OT is waking him early?

I know it's so hard to know what's going to work, my DS was notorious EW at this age, then I'd get a decent WU and teeth would move again!!

Have u tried dream meds?
Zoe

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 16:11:18 pm »
I started capping naps at 1.5 hrs many months ago

It might be time to cap a bit more then, to lengthen out his nights.

What you're describing sounds v similar to my DDs and I've had to cap their naps quite a bit to get a decent length night/rid of EWs.  I'd try shaving a bit more off of his nap and see if that helps. You can do it gradually if his nights are still short.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline avrillo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 07:29:48 am »
Well last night he slept soundly from 7pm until 2am when he had a cry, then resettled but moaned/grizzled on and off until about 3.30am when I gave him some ibuprofen. He then resettled without a peep until 6.30. Tried a nap at 1pm but DS resisted this (had given ibuprofen prior to nap) crying until I got him up but dropped off for about 30mins in the stroller soon after. BT at 6.30pm tonight. Once tooth is through I will have to reassess how his routine is- really scared this is the end of naps for him :(

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 16:38:19 pm »
Not a too bad night then, hope tonight goes ok too.

No naps for us was easier, lots of nice early bedtimes and evening to ourselves  :)
Zoe

Offline avrillo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 07:16:10 am »
Last night went okay- until 5.20. Gave some ibuprofen at 2.30am and not a peep until 5.20 but then that was it- crying/grizzling until I got him up. Wouldn't nap again today so BT at 6.30pm tonight. Aggh

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 08:04:13 am »
Can u do BT any earlier? I found that a good early night even 5.30/6pm gave a more rested night x
Zoe

Offline avrillo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 00:43:50 am »
Could try that -did try a month ago but he cried whenever I put him down at 6pm and I always ended getting him up again briefly to break him out of the crying spell (after a good 20 mins) and found he ended up going to bed at 7pm so later than I would have done if he had gone at 6.30 for me. Also my mum is visiting at the mo (for 7 weeks) from Ireland so its harder to change that evening routine with a visitor. Last night he woke at 11.30 crying on and off until I gave ibuprofen at 12.30 and he slept through until 6 (brief cry at 4 and 4.30). Looking tired at 12 today so put him down at 12.15 and he's still asleep (1.5 hrs later) so really hard to read at the moment. If he has a good nap, should I still put to bed earlier (6.30pm) or go back to 7pm.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 06:54:15 am »
It is difficult with visitors, you know him best so if you feel early BT doesn't work then that's fine it doesn't for all LO's.

Id prob stick to 6.30 seem as still getting a little disturbed at night.
Zoe