Author Topic: Bread for my 5month old  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Bread for my 5month old
« on: January 22, 2016, 12:43:06 pm »
I live in Sweden. Here they recommend starting a baby off with Bread or porridge around 5months to allow her system to process the Gluten while she is still EBF. I guess this helps minimize any gluten intolerances.

What I can't remember is HOW to feed a baby. I didn't start my first baby on solids until later and he was able to sit in a highchair. So with this little one, do I just hold her on my knee and let her suck away on a cracker or do I lay her in the angled chair thing? Seems weird to be laying. I don't know.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Bread for my 5month old
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 18:41:10 pm »
I've never heard of starting bread or porridge to expose LO to gluten (I'm sure in the UK it's advised not to introduce gluten until 6 months or older even if other solids are started a bit earlier than this).
For any solids LO needs to be sitting upright rather than tilted or laying backwards. The usual advice is to wait until LO can sit well unaided but if she can't then I would think on your knee nice and upright (if anything leaning a little more forward rather than backward) would be preferable to reduce to risk of choking.  Depending on her strength and how close she is to sitting you might be able to sit her in an upright high chair with a folded towel behind her to prop her up.  Mine could sit but was pretty wobbly so I did this with the towel behind for extra support for quite a while.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 12:52:30 pm »
I tried it with the towel. Worked well but I wasn't so comfortable leaving her in there.

I'm not going to start FEEDING her bread, porridge, crackers, etc. I think I'll let her suck on it if we happen to be somewhere and bread is being served. But, I think I'll kinda leave it at that. What's the rush, I guess?

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 16:19:19 pm »
I haven't heard of this suggestion either, but I've let my LO suck on toast and things with supervision until she's handling pieces better on her own I can say that the letting them suck approach does work. I gave her some pieces of pancake with blueberries yesterday and that went well because they were mushy enough to basically slide down when she swallowed even if she didn't do a great job mashing with her gums. Saliva breaks down those types of things pretty quickly.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 23:11:03 pm »
I wouldn't start at this age but when you do I would just give he a big piece of bread with a hard but chewy crust for her to hold and suck on. if she can't then she really isn't ready.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 20:04:06 pm »
Firm and chewy.... I'll make sure there's some for Mama too.  ;D