Author Topic: Trying to wean off sleepyhead snuggle pod  (Read 6438 times)

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Trying to wean off sleepyhead snuggle pod
« on: December 10, 2015, 21:28:54 pm »
As it says really.
Lo been in sleepyhead in crib and now cot, since a few days old she is now 15 weeks.
It was our lifesaver cos she wouldn't go down at all until we got it.
I tried this morning for her nap without it and she settled for over 2 hours. Thought it would be easy to put her to bed tonight without it after that. Bad idea, woke after an hour, kicking off, wouldn't self settle. Ended up picking her up and having to feed her a little more before she would settle, after she threw up over me. So I gave in and put her back in the sleepyhead. Fingers crossed she's now settling.
Anyone else used one and managed to get them out of it? I really don't want to buy the bigger one! Surely she can't sleep in one forever  :'(

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Trying to wean off sleepyhead snuggle pod
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 18:10:19 pm »
What is the snuggle pod exactly? Is it like one of those hammocks?

Maryn

[/url]

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 19:58:44 pm »
What about starting with just naps so she can get used to it?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 09:15:37 am »
I really don't want to buy the bigger one!
I think if you decide this for certain then you just go ahead with the plan to stop using it.  Changing things for sleep time is almost always about if the parent can stick it out to get through the tricky time of transition.  I know the pod is a sort of snuggley positioner and I am not surprised she finds it comfortable.  I'd choose either buy a bigger one or stick to your guns and wean it but don't go half way where you give yourself grief and give LO a very frustrating time only to then give in and put her back in it - this is unfair on both of you because you both lose sleep, both get upset and make no progress with the transition.
I can't comment on whether the pod is safe or not, my understanding is that following SIDS guidance nothing should be in the cot with baby, but I also realise there are some products which are safe.

When I moved my DS from hammock to cot it was hell, I won't lie!  He had rolled in his hammock so it was no longer safe to sleep there, his cot on the other hand felt different (not snuggly at all, esp compared to hammock) and was in a different position so everything looked different.  I knew I could not return him to the hammock due to safety so without any option ploughed ahead. DS was not at all happy but I stayed with him supporting him and eventually he slept.  It was all over and done with in 3 nights and he was back to falling to sleep happily and independently.
I would call in day-time back up if you have any family/friend who can help you.  They take care of LO during A time whilst you try to rest or nap, you take over again for nap time to put her down (I know you said nap time she was ok but you putting her down for nap reinforces the habit so you are building confidence ready for night time).  Leave the housework for 3 days (or ask the family/friend to help with priority things, they can do a few bits whilst you put baby down for nap) and use every minute to either rest yourself or sooth and reassure your baby.  She will adapt, she really will.  You can catch up with all the house stuff etc after you are safely through the other side of this transition.

Good luck.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 10:01:57 am »
Can you go halfway house if she is really distressed? I've seen pics online of cotsrigged up to make them more snuggly with towels under the fitted sheet.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 22:27:39 pm »
I used one until my boy was 8 months old. Never brought the bigger one. He must have been about 17/18lb when I took him out. He was basically starting to wake more as he was getting more mobile and wanted to move around more.

I would say you are trying too soon - wait until your LO is a bit older  :).

But for now, if you LO is happy with it then leave it. They will give signs when they want out, just like a swaddle or a moses basket.