Author Topic: Transitioning between EASY schedules for 7 week old  (Read 1717 times)

Offline ILok

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Transitioning between EASY schedules for 7 week old
« on: December 11, 2015, 03:52:17 am »
Hi everyone!
I am new to this site :) and could use some advise...my LO is 7 weeks old and we have been doing the EASY schedule (more or less) since around 3 weeks. I have a few questions regarding transitioning between the different schedules past 6 weeks. Now that I just got her used to cluster feeds, how do I go about dropping them as we are approaching the 8th week...When she has a 4pm feed and a nap between 5:15-6, she wakes up around 6 and is hungry- how do I push it until 7? Is the time between 6-7 supposed to be another activity segment?

Thanks for your help!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Transitioning between EASY schedules for 7 week old
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:49:10 am »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

EASY is a flexible routine so you can tailor it to the individual needs and personality of your baby.  If she is hungry at 6pm when she wakes from her CN there is no harm in feeding.  There is no strict rule about dropping cluster feeds so you can feed at 6pm and again at BT, 7pm.
The time between 6pm - 7pm is A time but really that whole time is taken up with feeding, bathing/washing/change and getting ready for bed, the BT feed and wind down.  It's quite a lot to cram in to a short time.
The CN (cat nap) is really just a short nap intended to help LO not get overtired before bed time, giving her enough energy to get through her feeds and bath.

Hope this helps.

Offline ILok

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 19:59:58 pm »
Thanks so much for the quick reply!

The things is generally when she wakes up from naps she cries because she is actually hungry (as typically its been 3 hours since the previous feeding) so I don't know if she's actually hungry when she gets up at 6 or it's more of a habit that she got used to eating  more frequently at night on the previous EASY routine...so I'm not sure how to actually transition...I also don't want her do get used to having a feeding at 6 and another one at 7...I am afraid to turn her into a snacker at bedtime!
Do babies usually drop the clusterfeeding themselves or is it up to me make the transition? Does Tracy talk about that somewhere in the book?
I'll try to do a bath at 6, feed at 6:30 and then wind down and sleep perhaps around 7:15/7:30. How long should I wait after she finishes her BT feeding before putting her in her crib (so that feeding doesn't turn into a prop)?

Thanks again!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 06:38:35 am »
So long as she's awake going into the crib, the BT feed can be immediately before bed.

My DS cluster fed for ages and then dropped it of his own accord when he moved to 2 naps. For some babies, they like the predictability of milk after waking from each nap and that's totally fine to do unless you've a terrible routine with lots of short naps and baby is not taking decent feeds.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 19:32:27 pm »
I also don't want her do get used to having a feeding at 6 and another one at 7...I am afraid to turn her into a snacker at bedtime!
I really wouldn’t worry about it.  you are already running a predictable routine, it is unlikely she will become a snacker as you are alert to how things are going. I always found the evening feeds were closer together because of the last nap/CN and BT being close.

Offline ILok

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 04:03:29 am »
Thanks guys! I'll give it a try :)