Author Topic: Frustrated with sleep issues - 8.5 mo old  (Read 810 times)

Offline lauren29

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Frustrated with sleep issues - 8.5 mo old
« on: February 27, 2016, 01:43:27 am »
Our son, 8.5 mo has never been a good sleeper, but he's exceedingly cheerful when he's awake during the day (thank goodness!). We made it through the transition to crib, the swaddle transition, etc. and he's never gone more than 6.5 hrs in one stretch, and in the last few weeks not more than 4-5 hours (MAX - usually less). I would love general help and suggestions.

Milestones: This week he started scooting while sitting, reaching for objects far away, & a little belly scooting - so his brain is working hard!
Food: BF and solids, 3 meals a day but he doesn't usually consume all that much at any one meal.
Teeth: None, but before you say "he's teething!" we've thought he would get a tooth "any day now" for about 3 months!
Bedtime routine: bath (every other day), lotion & diaper, pajamas, books, nursing, lights out, song, put in bed

Typical schedule:
6-ish wakeup
E: 6:15 nurse, then breakfast
A: play, read, sometimes a walk
S: 9-10:30 - typically best nap of the day, wakes happy
E: 10:30 nurse
A: play, early lunch, usually I try to make this the most active part of the day
E: 12:30/1 nurse
S: 1:30-3:30 - often wakes 1 hour into nap and is unhappy so I try to get him back down until at least 3
E: 3/3:30 nurse
A: play, dinner, bath every other day
S: We aim for 6:30 or even earlier but he often doesn't actually fall asleep until far later (7, 7:15, 7:30)

Overnight: The last several days he has stirred 45 min after bedtime, and we can easily get him back to sleep, sometimes he stirs again 45 min-1 hour after that. He's been waking 10-11 pm and is more difficult to get back to sleep, usually nursing and then he'll sleep his longest stretch until 2 am. Then nurse, easily back to sleep, wakes around 6. (Though a couple days this week he's woken quite early and I've tried to get him back to sleep but he's pretty restless until 6.)

Other answers to often suggested advice: No reflux, no ear infection, unlikely teething, ibuprofen before bed doesn't seem to make a difference, pacifier is sometimes demanded and other times refused. Later bedtime definitely doesn't work, earlier we strive for sometimes but it takes forever to get him to sleep so it ends up being not earlier in the end. Separation anxiety is likely at play right now, but since he's never slept well I'm skeptical that this is the reason bedtime stinks so much.

Frustrated and hoping for help. Thank you!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: Frustrated with sleep issues - 8.5 mo old
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 23:07:29 pm »
Hi Hon, looking at your routine he is having in general a lot of daytime sleep (9mo with 3.5h is a lot LOL) and it's located in the first part of day instead of in the second. Have you thought of pushing his two naps forward and cap so altogether they are 2.5-3h depending on how long day you would like to get so ie:
6:00 WU
9:30 nap for 1,5h
11:00 - 2:30pm Activity
2:30pm-4pm nap for 1.5h
7pm BT
If you are not happy with 6am WU, just push all naps by 1h but with 3h sleep per day I would go for 13h day.

WDYT?
~Marta

Offline lauren29

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 21:37:37 pm »
Seems totally reasonable and doable - and I should work gradually from 3 to 3.5 hour wake time right? At 3 hrs now he's beat but I can extend it, and he does do longer if he's engaged in activity. I'll see how that goes! Thanks!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 21:45:38 pm »
Yes definitely do it gradually!
~Marta

Offline lauren29

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 15:28:57 pm »
He is doing pretty well! I can gauge his mood and see if he can do more than 3 hours or up to 3.5 hours. He's been waking up quite early (5 am or so) but with daylight savings time coming soon I'm not too worried. He also tends to wake up because he's moved around in his sleep to a corner of his crib and then can't get himself unstuck from that position, and I know that will improve once he can move himself around more easily.

Thank you!