Author Topic: Waking 3-4 times in night 4 month old  (Read 4113 times)

Offline ljperkins

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Waking 3-4 times in night 4 month old
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 19:43:03 pm »

Friday schedule:
woke at 8:10am
Nap 10:15-12:35pm (had hiccups so a little late putting down)
Ran a few errands not far away, baby wore him
Nap 2:30-4:10pm
no third nap
BT 6:10 didn't fall asleep until 8:20pm
NW 12:30, fed for about 20 minutes, heard him on monitor soothing for about 40 minutes roughly, never cried
NW around 4am, changed him-had a poop, fed and heard him on the monitor again for another 40 minutes or so, never cried

Saturday
We woke him at 8:50am
nap 10:50-12:30pm
nap 2:15-2:55, we woke him so we could fit one more nap in
nap 4:55-5:45
BT 7:05, soothed for an hour and was tooting, started crying and noticed he pooped, changed, nursed again, laid back down fell asleep at 8:50pm
NW 12:30 went back to sleep
NW 4am and cried to sleep with sh pat

Current Day
woke for the day at 7:50am
just woke from nap went from 9:45-11:30am

Thank you again for helping me out, I just hate it when he cries. I feel helpless and it has really been getting to me. I am not sure if its the pooping. He was pooping when I put him down for naps during the week too.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 20:05:09 pm »
I hate it when poop gets in the way  >:(. It goes through stages of it, then magically stops, for it to restart again  ::). Some people find actually hearing headphones whilst sshing helps as the  crying is not so intense on the ears. Worth a thought? Wish I'd known about it sooner as I think it would've helped me stay a lot calmer.

The A times look fab, and great naps! Well done you! But I think you might need to stretch your day a little. Have you noticed he's trying to work to an exact 12hr day? Clever little one  ;)

If you're set on having his BT around 7,30pm, you might need to consider waking him at 7.30am in the morning. This option might take him a couple of days to get used to as effectively you'll be chopping his night sleep on the first night. Either that or have a later BT for now? Wdyt?

You can try for a CN a little earlier than the 2hrs A as ideally you want that one to be an UT nap. Maybe 1hrs 45mins A? Does mean you have to reduce the last A too as they can handle less after a short nap. So something like this..

Wu 7.30
A 2hrs
S 9.30-11.10
A 2hrs
S 1.10-3.50
A 1 hr 45
S 5.35-6.25
A 1hr 15
BT 7.45

Thinking yours has a 50mins sleep cycle as 1hr 40mins sleeps. That's where this gets thrown off a bit above. We could cap the last nap to 30mins and that should get you your 7.30 BT?? Xx

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 20:08:48 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline ljperkins

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 21:33:26 pm »
Thank you! Yes the poop thing is new and he has increased those. Maybe the headphones would help, thank you. Last night he has started self soothing differently so he could be doing a lot of changes right now.

I am definitely not set on a 7:30 BT, I was trying to go with more of his schedule and naps, his crying is just making these BT late now. These past few nights of crying I thought I had messed up the time to put him down for BT. For the most part with Saturday being an exception, he consistently wakes between 7-8am but he does seem to have a 12 hour night schedule like you said.  :) I was just hoping I am not missing something. I guess as long as you think he isn't getting too much or too little sleep??

I am trying very hard and I know I am hard on myself. I feel like there is something I am doing wrong and that is why he is crying but he may just need to get emotions out or work something out that I have no control over..

I like the 50 minute sleep cycle you observed too. I didn't see that  :)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 07:51:14 am »
All we can do is try and tune in and listen to the signs he's given us. You're not doing anything wrong at all, you're doing as we all do and wing it. Especially at this age with silly growth spurts and sleep regressions to contend with  ::).

If you're not set on a 7.30am BT, just use the A times I set out below and take it from wu in the morning. And keep me posted! I do think once we increase the day and consequently decrease the A time BT it will get easier for you xx

Offline ljperkins

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 04:57:35 am »
So a quick update with a question. LO is doing good. Seems to be having a little bit of easier time going down at night but still has issues. The screaming isn't as bad and not as long typically. We have increased the A time to 2 hours during the day.

At night lately he is waking after his sleep cycle of 50 minutes just the first time of initially putting him down for the night. The shh/pat makes it worse, he really gets upset so I have been nursing him and put him back down and he is right back to sleep. Is this normal? I am not sure if I am creating a bad habit or why he is waking like it is a nap.
Thank you and happy new year!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 13:35:38 pm »
It could well be he's OT by BT. What A time are you working off before BT? We had that too, sometimes they prefer a shorter A time to bed compared to the rest of the day. You could look at reducing that by 10-15mins and see if that makes a difference xx