Author Topic: 6month started frequent night waking...don't know what to do!  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Locococo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6month started frequent night waking...don't know what to do!
« on: December 12, 2015, 21:13:59 pm »
Hi everyone,
I just joined today and would really appreciate some advice as at a total loss of what's gone wrong..

I have a 6mnth old baby boy who has started frequent night wakings. It started the week he started solids and got his injections..(at approx 5months old)..he has no problem going to sleep during the day or even at bedtime but waking continuously not always same time at night.i don't give him a bottle at night and don't think this is the issue.he would of slept from 7 to 7. He's not always crying but just generally being very loud!.I have left him to see will he settle himself  but he doesn't and then gets upset.it's got to the stage he's not only waking his mammy and daddy but also his 3 yr old sister.
Below is his daily routine...
7am (bottle) 8.15am solid and fruit
9am (sleep) approx 1 1/2 to 2hrs
11am bottle 12.15 solid and fruit
1pm sleep approx 1 1/2 to 2hrs
3pm bottle
4.30 nap
5.15 tea
7pm bedtime

He gets plenty of activity on his mat during the day. If wakes during the day I never have to resettle him.he has no problem settling himself. I have been staying at home during the day and not going out when it's nap time to see if this will resolve issue..no luck. He is in great form during the day and it doesn't seem to bother him. He does have a soother and wondering if this is the issue.

Sorry for such a long post but would so appreciate any advice on what you think may be causing this.
Thanks a mil.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 6month started frequent night waking...don't know what to do!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 09:12:12 am »
Hi and welcome  :)

I wonder if he's ready for an A time increase? Atm you're working on 2hrs A is that right? At 6mo we'd ideally look for that to be closer to 3hrs A, but it does vary for individual bubbas.

I'd also like to check... Is he still taking plenty of milk? I notice you've got 3 meals in there. I don't think we introduced tea until around 7mo and even then, I think I had to cut it back and offer it earlier as she wasn't taking much of her BT bottle. We always say solids are for fun before one and milk must remain their primary source of nutrition. You're doing perfectly offering them an hour after milk, but just wondering as that's a lot to fit in at the end of the day whether you've noticed a milk decrease?

It is a prime age for the 3-2 transition. I take it he's been on the same routine for a little while? Some LO's revert to short napping during the 3-2, but also some start NW's due to UT being at play during the day. It sounds silly especially as they're still napping well, but I do think that CN might be causing you more issues than it's worth.

I would look at extending the first two A times by 15mins and holding. That should allow you to maybe cap the CN down to 15/20mins for now and still keep the same BT due to the CN being later and a shorter A time to BT wdyt? We will need to extend again, but we usually like to extend then hold it for a couple of days so they get used to it, then we can try again in order to get rid of the CN completely. Do you want to try and keep me posted? Xx

All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:16:04 am by Kellyjs »

Offline Locococo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 21:16:10 pm »
Thanks so much for the help.will try over the next week or so to take away cat nap in the evening.

He is drinking 5 to 7oz per feed most days and usually drinks the most 1st thing in the morning.

I did try today by bringing forward both sleeps by 15 mins so last sleep he went down at 1.15 instead of 1 and woke at 3.15. He did not want to take a cat nap. I was afraid if gave him one after 5 in case he wouldn't settle for bedtime at 7.  However he got overtired and didn't settle till after 8 so 2mro ill do the same and try a cat nap for 15/20 mins or bring forward his bedtime.

Thanks again.ill keep you posted.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 15:22:19 pm »
It's a really sticky part of the transition I'm afraid. Some do really well with an EBT others find they need to keep the CN every few days or so, or even keep a short 15mins CN until they physically can get them to take one anymore. Keep me posted ok? Xx

Offline Locococo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 20:16:22 pm »
Will do.thanks a million.