Author Topic: How old is too old for a cot bed with the sides up?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
How old is too old for a cot bed with the sides up?
« on: December 12, 2015, 22:27:25 pm »
Dd1 is 3 years and 4 months old. She has been a climber since 9 months old so has really surprised me that she has never once tried to climb out if her bed. She sleeps in a cot bed with the sides up in a .o.5 tog sleeping bag and a pillow and duvet. She still naps for 2 hours a day and sleeps 11.5 hours at night so I'm happy with that and don't want to mess it up. But I was thinking it's really time we converted it to a bed wit the rails off. The thing is, any time I ask her about taking them off and making it a big girl bed she cries and says please can she keep them on.
She's been potty trained since 2 but not dry at night so still wears pull ups to bed. Should I just change the bed, take the pull ups off so she had to use the toilet during the night as she is getting older or has anyone left them with the rails up at this age. Is it ok or not a great idea at her age.

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
Re: How old is too old for a cot bed with the sides up?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 23:02:47 pm »
Honestly, of she's happy, leave them on.  Ds1 was nearly 4 before we took them off.  If it ain't broke and all that!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 00:19:19 am »
^ Agreed!  Millie was 4, and it was still a crib, but with the one side rail off......a toddler bed. She called it her "cozy nest" and the *only* reason we switched it to a BGB was because she was getting so, so tall!  If they're content, sleep well, and all.....leave it be.   :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 00:28:33 am »
Another for leave it be! Until she tries climbing out of course. My DD3 is a climber but due to her grobag has never attempted the crib so she will be in it hopefully for longer than my older two were (unless she gets too tall for it).

As for the night dryness - that has more to do with her body being ready than anything. (Unless it is just the first morning pee being the issue, being in a crib will not prevent her from becoming dry overnight though).
Heidi

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 03:23:15 am »
Some kids like the sides. Feels like a cocoon with the sides on. Or, a bit of a fort. They don't need the sides, but they like the way they feel.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 07:31:38 am »
We moved dd1 out at 3yr2mos, but mainly cos dd2 was due 6 weeks away and DH thought it was about time!

Otherwise we may have kept going...

That said, the transition was so easy and straightforward and we didn't have any issues so with hindsight there was no reason to wait...  But of course you don't know that until you try!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:23:32 am by cath~ »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 07:35:22 am »
The side went down when DS got too heavy for me to lift him out - I have back problems!

If this isn't causing you or her any problems then leave it be  :)

Night dryness happened here when his bladder capacity increased and his urine concentrated overnight (basically a large dark pee in the morning). Until that happens she isn't ready to be night dry!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 08:20:19 am »
My DS was a few months shy of 4 when he moved to a bed! His cot had two bars in the middle that came out so that he coukd crawl in and out on his own.  But still had the sides up other than that.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 08:22:54 am »
I also changed DS's cot-bed into a bed due to back problems, it was excruciating lifting him.  He was a lot younger and the transition was smooth, I think because he knew Mummy had difficulty getting him in an out he could more easily accept the change - maybe.

As others have said about night dryness, it comes when they are ready. If you have a gut feeling that she's close to ready it might be worth changing to a bed to make it easier for her to get out of bed on her own for the morning wee, and that could be one reason she might be happier to change from a cot to a bed, if she understands it will make things easier for her, even if that is not now perhaps further down the line when she can call you first thing to lift her out to use the toilet you might use that as a talking point about changing her to a BGB.

You didn't ask about this but I'll mention anyway, I discovered we needed a new mattress for DS, his cot-bed transformed to a BBB but the mattress was only really suitable for a baby, not a toddler.  He slept better with a new mattress.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 13:57:48 pm »
Thanks everyone. I think we'll keep her as she is just now since she is happy. Her pull ups are wet every morning so I don't think she'll be ready for night dryness for a while. I think it's just all her wee friends are in bgb so it makes me think I'm wrong keeping her in a cot bed with the sides up. That said, she sleeps better than all of them.

Creations, when we bought the cot bed we bought a really good thick pocket sprung mattress so that should be ok until we get a full sized single bed. Thanks for thinking of that though x

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 14:08:02 pm »
Can you remove just one side and lower the mattress? Kind of like a toddler bed?

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 14:29:47 pm »
dd1 was in her crib until she exceeded the weight limit which was 50 lbs so around 3 1/2 ish.  She wasn't dry at night till closer to 4 1/2.  Dd2 will be 3 in March and I have no plans on moving her out of that crib anytime soon.  Everyone sleeps fine and that's the way we will keep it.  DD1 still does have a guard on the side of her bed and its not because she needs it anymore but she just feels safer with it on.  Eventually when we put dd2 in a big girl bed dd1 will  have to give it up lol