Author Topic: Need help implementing easy with 10 week old  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Desperateforsleep123

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need help implementing easy with 10 week old
« on: January 17, 2016, 16:32:29 pm »
Hi,
I started EASY 4 days ago,and there is a huge improvement in nighttime waking, she is sleeping 6 hrs straight. But I'm having a very hard time with naps and keeping her at three hours between feeds. It takes up to an hour for her to fall asleep for a nap and then she is constantly waking up, I keep putting her back to sleep but she wakes after 40 min (  2 1/2 hours after her last feed ) and screams , and I feed her bec she seems really hungry. Also she does not really breastfeed for comfort, only when she is hungry. Of then it throws off the whole routine.... Not sure what to do . Also please tell me nap time gets easier?!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Need help implementing easy with 10 week old
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 18:19:50 pm »
We're at a similar place (DS2 is 10 weeks tomorrow) and I'm just winging it to be honest. If nights are good, and they sound really good, then I'd try for eating on wakeup and not worry about how often it is. My baby seems to like to eat every 2.5hrs so sometimes he is fed before a sleep - but it's not every sleep and so I'm not stressing about it.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 18:44:25 pm »
EASY as written in the books is intended as a guideline, to be flexible to meet you and your baby's needs.  So, if your LO needs to feed every 2.5 hours right now, that's absolutely fine, you shouldn't try to hold her off. :)  The heart of BW is listening to your baby and trying to work out what works for her (not always easy ... ha ha).

How long is her A time? Any danger you're putting her down too early (UT)? Waking at 40 mins usually indicates UT as 40 minutes is the average length of one sleep cycle.

6 hours straight at night is very good!

Could you post how your day looks? That'll help folks troubleshoot for you.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 23:20:25 pm »
Thanks so much for the replies! So good to have some guidance !
Typical day she wakes up at 6:30 or 7 and I feed her. She usually eats quickly 20 min and she's done (I'm breastfeeding her)
Then she will be on her playmat for about 15-20 min and then will start fussing and yawning, and she seems tired....so I swaddle her and sit with her , sometimes she needs the shush pat and sometimes not, once she is calm I put her in her bassinet. Then she will usually fuss need to be picked up, I put her down again a few times, she will fall asleep and then wake up 20 min later and I repeat the whole process until about 2 1/2 her from her last feed, which is when she is hungry .
I follow this pattern until late afternoon, then I have some trouble with the two catnaps, I just combine those into one bec it takes her such a long time to fall asleep. I do the cluster feeds.
I put her to sleep between 8 and 9 bec my husband doesn't get home until 7 and I want them to spend some time together. I feed her right before bed, I started doing the dream feeds last night and then she usually wakes up anytime between 2:30 and 4 to eat.
Also I think she fits into the touchy child category.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 08:31:01 am »
So how many naps is she on per day? I couldn't tell from your post, sorry.

My first thought is that she's having a very short A time for her age - my guy is on the longer end of the spectrum but regularly has a 2hr A of his own accord. I think the average is around 1.5hrs.

Second thing that jumps out is the late bedtime and short night. Most babies like a twelve hour night. I get that you want her to see your DH so she might need more day sleep to compensate. My DH isn't home until late either and will generally hardly see the baby but gets to spend time with our older son.

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 22:34:48 pm »
She has about 4 naps a day. should. Give her a longer A? But she does seem tired when I put her down...maybe bec like you said she is not getting enough sleep at night?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 08:05:50 am »
I'd try a longer A, hopefully she will nap longer and then you can organise your days a little more easily.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 09:12:04 am »
If you want to put her down for the night between 8 and 9, then I would try shifting her morning WU later.  12 hour nights are something to aim for. So you could treat the 6.30 wu as a night feed, put her back down and get her up at 8.30?  If she goes for it, it'll make it easier/ less disruptive for her to stay up for DH.  Lots of babies stir/wake up around 5am ish for a feed, so it might just be her later BT is pushing that feed a bit later, iyswim.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 17:39:56 pm »
I am going the 8:30 wakeup and longer A times. Should i keep the dream feed at 10pm?
Thanks so much for the help.