Author Topic: 5 mo - Short naps :(  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Jouena

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • Home that we Built
5 mo - Short naps :(
« on: December 14, 2015, 03:22:50 am »
Hello!
My baby is 5 months old. For 2 weeks I'm trying to pin his increased A time and fail miserably. He falls asleep fast n easy @1:50-2h A time. But sleeps for about 30min. I know it means OT but 1:45 A time is too early - we spend 20min to fall asleep and sleep for same 30-ish min. Last couple days his naps are about 45 min long with 1:55-2 h A time. I'm at a loss here :( Also, coming in early n holding him to prevent the jolt and resettling do not work. Add only 15 min to a nap.
His A time was 1:30 and it worked fine until about a month ago when short naps started and I decided he needed longer A time.
What should I do now? Where to begin and how to pin his A time?
Thanks in advance - really counting on help to help my baby get enough restorative sleep!

Jouena

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 5 mo - Short naps :(
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:50:24 am »
It usually works like that. It is ok fr some time and then they grow up and need a change in a routine.
Could you post your day using EASY i.e.
7 WU and feed
7.20-9 Activity
9-9.45 Sleep
That would help us figure it out.

Short naps usually mean UT, so when A time is to short. You can slowly increase A time by 15 min. every other day.
He does sleep through the night, right? I think I saw it on your other post.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 22:10:01 pm »
Bella, I see you're busy on the boards paying-it-forward. Thank you so much :)

Hi Jouena - Bella has it covered with the UT (under tired).  I really only wanted to add that from 4 to 6 months the A times shoot up rapidly, it can catch a lot of us out.  So whilst you had good naps on 1hr 30 until 4 months the A time increase you've implemented is just not enough yet. So, you will see on these guidance times at 3 months 1hr 30 is great. When your baby reached 4 months the A time needed an increase and now he is 5 months it is likely to be closer to 2hr to 2hr 30 min
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
Increasing to 1hr 50-2hr might just not be enough even though he is falling to sleep easily at that time.  I would do 2hrs for say 2-3 days then increase again to 2hr 15 and see how it goes for 2-3 days.  Possibly increase to 2hr 30.
You can also try a W2S to sooth him through the sleep transition from one sleep cycle to another, this helps to teach him to stay asleep.
How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)
Sometimes increasing the A time can seem to make LO a bit OT for that nap even though overall they are UT (not tired enough to take a long nap), the W2S can really help with that.

You might also find that teaching him to fall to sleep independently will help him transition alone...and getting close to the right A time will help teach independent sleeping.  I know you have a thread asking for help with this.
Good luck :)

Offline Bella89

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 08:48:47 am »
Bella, I see you're busy on the boards paying-it-forward. Thank you so much
I got such good advice here on the forum, that I figured I can use what I know already. I hope I won't make a mess, but I know there will always be someone that can step in :)

Offline Jouena

• Showing Appreciation 1
    • Home that we Built
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 00:13:02 am »
Thank you's are due - thank you ladies for your time and advice!
I am working on increasing his A time to 2:30 (even though his A time now is 2:15-2:20)
regarding UT vs OT. From what I've read in the pinned topics on Sleep and Nap boards, 30 min nap = OT, 45 min = UT or both. Most of his naps are 35 min long since this transition began - almost a month ago. I figured he is OT, therefore was not in a hurry to increase his A time to 2:30.
Here is our EASY from yesterday:
9.00-8.30 night sleep
8.30 - WU
9.00 - eat
8.30-11.05 - activity @2.35h
11.05 -12.00 - sleep @ 55min
12.00-2.33 - activity @2.33h
1pm - eat
2.33-3.35 - sleep with resettling @1h
3.35-6.15pm - activity @2.45h
5pm - eat
6.10-6.55 - sleep @45min
6.55-9.30 - activity @2.35h
8.30 - eat and WD, in crib by 9.06
9.23 - sleep
12.00 - DF 

Today is like this so far:
9.30-6.35 night sleep
6.45 - eat
7.00 - sleep
9.30 - WU
9.40 - eat
9.30-12.15  -activity @ 2.45 too long cuz i left him to self soothe and he did after 45min!
12.15 - 12.25 sleep :(
12.25-2.35 - activity @2.10
2pm - eat
2.35-4.05 - sleep with resettling @1.5h

You might also find that teaching him to fall to sleep independently will help him transition alone...and getting close to the right A time will help teach independent sleeping.
I'm really really counting on this !! :)

Thank you for your time in advance!

Jouena

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 10:18:39 am »
From what I've read in the pinned topics on Sleep and Nap boards, 30 min nap = OT, 45 min = UT or both. Most of his naps are 35 min long since this transition began
And there are LOs who have a 30 min or 35 min sleep cycle just to throw mud over the 'rules'.

Looking at the EASY's you posted I'd say the A time still needs an increase.
12.15 - 12.25 sleep :(
12.25-2.35 - activity @2.10
2pm - eat
2.35-4.05 - sleep with resettling @1.5h
This is what happens when he is properly tired, you had to help him resettle but he slept 1.5hr.  for a good routine you want this to happen due to A time being right rather than being caused by having had a horribly short nap earlier on.

You'll get there :)

Offline Bella89

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 12:35:44 pm »
I agree, Resettling often happens when you have to help your baby g from one sleep cycle to another.
Also, you will not see a difference the same day or even the next day. It took about 5 days for us, but I know some mothers see a dif after 3.
Work on it gradually, 10-15 min every 3 days. Then you will also know for sure how much does he need. Ultimately, you want 1,5h naps even if it means you run out of time for 3 and would have to transition.
If he got up that early today, try earlier BT, because that's a long day and he might EWU tomorrow:/
Does that make sense?

Offline mulvia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 13:52:20 pm »
Sorry for asking but I am new - since I was going to open a new thread but the issue with my LO's naps is very similar (he's about to turn 6 months), may I jump in here or should I go ahead with a separate one? Thanks!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 21:37:13 pm »
may I jump in here or should I go ahead with a separate one? Thanks!
Hi mulvia :)
Do feel free to jump in anywhere you would like to offer support or advice.
For your own question I suggest you begin a new thread so that the individual needs of each poster/baby can be kept separate. Whilst the question might appear similar some times the advice is different for each LO based on their individual needs and character.  It can be a bit confusing to have 2 lots of advice on one thread.

Offline Jouena

• Showing Appreciation 1
    • Home that we Built
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 01:16:58 am »
Sorry for a late reply - last couple days were a mess, so exhausting!
I am working on increasing his A time to 2:30h and I hope this "4 month transition" ends soon and my baby will have his naps back! At least for a while, that is, before the 3/2 transition strikes :)
I'll report back when I see consistent couple days of good naps.
Thank you, my dears, for your support!
Jouena