Author Topic: Constipated 6 mo old  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Antie66

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 13, 2015, 20:54:54 pm »
Hi there. My LO is 5.5 months and we started solids this week, as he has been super interested whenever I'm eating or drinking and he has been reaching out to grab everything off me!! He is a real foodie (like his daddy!!) and LOVES everything. I'm following Annabel Karmel her books (I have made carrot, apple, sweet potato and butternut squash purees - all stocked up in the freezer) and it says some babies will be more hungry and eat more sooner than others ... I have that baby! But I don't want to overdo it. He's a tall baby for his age (and weighs just under 9 kg) and is EBF. He still gets 1-2 NF in addition to DF (I have actually started 4-hour EASY two weeks ago to try and reduce NW and NF) and feeds at roughly 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7pm during the day, taking full feeds (both breasts) - as long as he's not too distracted :-)

My question is also: can I feed him 2 'meals' a day if he is keen and it does not seem to affect breast-feeding? (And if so would it be best to give him these at morning and lunch time?)

Is the only 'limiting' factor of feeding solids, to ensure milk intake is still enough (which I guess is difficult to gauge with breast feeding, especially as I have a very greedy efficient feeder who finishes in about 5-10 minutes!)?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:39:14 am by Antie66 »

Offline Antie66

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 21:09:33 pm »
Hi Estelle, one more question if that's ok .. I have been reading some other posts and it's clear to me to feed him 1 hour after BF (so around noon and if giving a 2nd 'meal' this would be around 8am?) and to offer additional breast after. Is it also ok to give him water (which he also loves and drinks from his training cup like a big boy!) or would (expressed) milk from the cup be better or just BF? I would like him to use the training cup, as he has always refused the bottle (despite trying various brands and teats and battling hunger strikes :-) and I'm keen for him to learn to drink better and more from the cup, as it will give me more freedom as well as work looming in the not too distant future. However, I obviously don't want him filling up with too much water either ...
I read that a 'meal' is usually just the 1-2 teaspoons, but if baby wants more is it ok to feed him more in the one sitting? My LO is already grabbing the spoon and putting it in his mouth .. He just loves this whole eating thing (pfew .. since sleeping has always been such a nightmare I'm glad eating doesn't seem to be giving me any trouble!!). x

Offline Antie66

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 21:10:32 pm »
Sorry, meant to say Hi Creations!!!

Offline MommyN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 21:51:41 pm »
Hi  :)

My baby is much smaller than yours, still only a little over 7 kilo at 8.5 months, but I found that the solids definitely affected his breastfeeding and I cut back a lot. I was very careful to limit portions, especially during dinner. They really do get most of their nutrients from the bm. Now at almost 9 months he's eating 3 meals but I am still careful to limit portions. He loves to eat, so I give him what we're eating, but a few bites is enough.

About the water with meals, my pediatrician says to 100% give some water once they start solids. My boy gets constipated if he doesn't get that. My DS1 also refused all bottles and took very well to the training cups. He still LOVES water! Just make sure not to fill him up on water so that he doesn't take his bm.

It's hard to hold back when you know they want the food, but it's for their own good and it's only for a few months. We had a very difficult few weeks where DS was always hungry and not sleeping well because he was not nursing properly as a result of the solids. And that was on only two small meals. But then again, your boy is much bigger so things may turn out differently for him. This was my experience.

Offline MommyN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 22:31:23 pm »
still only a little over 7 kilo at 8.5 months

8 kilo. sorry about that typo

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 2 meals a day
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:42:49 am »
Hi there Antie :)
You'll see I have split your post to a new thread - it just makes it easier to track the individual questions if any readers need to look back in a thread for information they may accidentally confuse the 2 babies which can confuse the advice you are given.

It's really fine to follow LOs lead on portion sizes.  Yes you don't want the milk intake to drop significantly, I think you would know if it dropped based on how full/drained you feel and how many minutes feeding, it sounds like you know your baby well :)
So long as the milk continues at regular, predictable intervals throughout the day at a reasonable amount it is ok to offer your LO more than 1-2 tsp.  My DS is petite, took very little milk, but loved solids.  His milk intake did not drop when I introduced solids but he took pretty big portions of solids (certainly not 1-2 tsp, he would have kicked off big time if that's all I'd given him).  I was cautious to monitor his milk intake of course but it continued as it had been previously (actually he took a bit more in the early days of solids so that was a big surprise) so I let him eat solids to his fill and watched his body language for signs that he was full - in fact mine self fed so it was easy to know he was finished.
Some LOs do take to solids very quickly and with great enthusiasm regardless of their size, and some take a few months of tastes before they decide to go for a full meal, it is very individual.

Yes I would suggest when you introduce a second meal to keep it in the earlier hours, it gives more time in the day for them to digest and for any reaction to show before BT.  There is no hurry to move to 2 meals but so long as all else is well it is fine to offer.  You might want to offer finger foods as one of the meals, sounds like he would likely enjoy self feeding :)

Either top off with BM or offer water, it is your choice and doesn't matter which, the top off is a thirst quencher rather than a full meal of breast milk, it is great if he likes to use the sippy cup and have water.

You asked about 'limiting factors' - there is a (shortish) list of foods to avoid before age 1yo, and foods to limit, I assume you know these (salt, sugar, honey, and such). The only other thing to watch for is the poo. It will certainly change with the introduction of solids, not like BM poo at all, and it will be more effort for LO to push it out, they do need to learn to have a good push at this stage so this is another reason not to hurry too quickly with lots of solids.  LO may appear to be struggling as they put their whole body into the pushing and this does not necessarily mean there is a constipation problem, but do watch out for the general poo situation.  If it gets on the harder side maybe try a prune (those soft seedless ready to eat ones are nice) before it gets too hard.  Some LOs (like my DS) can become a bit constipated with too much carrot for instance so I always balanced it out with a prune or if he got a bit too soft in his poo I made sure to offer carrots that day.

It sounds like you are going to have an enjoyable weaning journey - it was one of the loveliest parts of my DS getting that little bit older, I really enjoyed watching him eating :)

hope this helps
Do shout out if you have more questions :)

Offline Antie66

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 11:04:30 am »
LO is now 6 mo old and has taken well to solids, which we introduced 2-3 weeks ago. We now offer 2 meals a day, water from a sippy cup after and (if I'm there too) breast after that. He was EBF before this and had dirty nappy quite irregular, but often a couple of days apart (even up to 10!). Since introducing solids he's had dirty nappies nearly every day (or even twice a day), but hasn't had a bowel movement for 2 days now. I notice him trying very hard (mostly in the morning) and can tell he's struggling a bit. I've been browsing this forum about how to tackle constipation and have a couple of questions please.

- I gave him a pitted prune to suck / gum on (about half got eaten this way), do I offer another one in the afternoon? How many should do the trick?
- I blitzed some pitted prunes and mixed with yoghurt, bit this was still a bit bitty for him and he didn't take much. Do I blitz the canned (in water) prunes (with some water) and just offer that on its own as a puree?
- How is prune juice offered? Diluted, if so, by how much? LO doesn't take a bottle and only drinks little amounts from sippy cup, so probably won't get too much in this way.
- Any other laxative foods you can recommend apart from prunes?
- Apart from carrots and bananas, which I know can lead to constipation, are there any other known foods that can cause constipation?

Thanks xx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Constipated 6 mo old
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 11:33:26 am »
Sorry to hear this.  I do think it is worth acting right away with some natural methods (prune) but also not to delay going to the doc if it continues.  He might need some meds even one dose or a few days, you really don't want him to be in pain to poo or get backed up even more.

It really depends on your LO, Mine could eat 2 or 3 of those soft ready to eat prunes without a terrible effect but other times have just 1 and need to go.
I found the canned prunes to be way way more laxitive, in fact I cannot give them to DS without causing him to be too loose. They are certainly worth a shot with your LO either as finger food (you hold it if they are slimy) or whizzed up in the can juice (get the ones without added sugar if you can) just as you have said, yes as a puree.

Offering juice is not something I do but you can give in the sippy or on a spoon, maybe just teaspoon it into his mouth. There are syringes you can get with baby meds which are great for giving liquids to a LO who doesn't drink from a cup.

This may help
Constipation and Laxative Foods

if he has not pooped by tomorrow I would take him to the doc to have him checked and maybe get some stool softeners.