Author Topic: To Swaddle or Unswaddle, that is the question!  (Read 841 times)

Offline NeneMama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
To Swaddle or Unswaddle, that is the question!
« on: December 15, 2015, 19:03:21 pm »
Hello, my DS is approaching 4 months in a few days, and I would swaddle him tightly in the Nested Beans Zen Swaddle since he he was born. About 2 weeks ago I noticed he turned over from his back to his tummy, so I began to Unswaddle him (right now I put him down for naps or sleep with 1 arm out. But I notice that he still lifts his arm a lot in his sleep, sometime touching his face / rubbing his eyes and then he wakes himself up. He does ok with 1 arm out, but mostly he slept better with both arms swaddled. I've been trying to keep both arms out now (starting with naps) and he starts to move them around and soon thereafter starts to cry. I pick him up at resettle him and we go through this until he's exhausted and finally sleeps. Even when I wait 20 mins to ensure he's in a deeper sleep, he can still distrub his sleep with his two free arms.

I've been told once LO can turn over, it's time to get rid of the swaddle, but he's not comfortable with both arms out? How long can I keep him swaddled with 1 arm only? Is there another sleeping solution that babies who love to be swaddled can be transitioned into? I think his moro reflex is still too prominent to let him sleep soundly.

Any advice is most appreciated!

Here is a sample of our (flexible) routine:

E: 7am
S: 9am (40 mins- 1 Hr 45 min) not sure really what makes the difference here, but if DS wakes up before 1.5 - 2 hrs, I go in and shh/pat and help him resettle.
E: 11am
S: 1pm (again 40 mins to 2 hrs uninterrupted)
E: 3pm
S: 5 or 6 or somewhere in between (30-40 mins)
E: 7pm
Bath @ 8pm
BT: 830-9pm, I usually nurse DS with a top up
No DF
Sleeps till 4-5am usually, wake up for a feed and then back to bed till ~7am

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: To Swaddle or Unswaddle, that is the question!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 11:03:28 am »
My DD needed a TIGHT swaddle until 8 months, I would encourage you to keep it as long as you feel safe about it. As far as the transition....have you checked out the Zipadeezip, if I had to do my daughter's infancy over, we would totally have one of these. I would offer plenty of tummy time on A time, if he is at all inclined to roll over.

Maryn

[/url]