Author Topic: Is white noise a prop?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline SusieQue

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 16, 2015, 07:54:09 am »
hi ther, I'm hoping you could answer a question for me! Our second DS is 4 weeks old and I'm trying to teach him to self settle in his crib for daytime naps (he does pretty well at night), but I'm finding if I put the white noise app on he settles really quickly but doesn't if I don't put it on. I was just wondering if this will cause a prop issue down the line, as I wouldn't want to get in the habit of using it at night. Because he sleeps in his crib at night and now for daytime naps, what is the best way to distinguish between daytime and nighttime sleeps, as I don't want him to get confused. I thought I would have mastered this sleep lark for the second one but I've forgotten everything! Any advice greatly appreciated!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Is white noise a prop?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:04:50 am »
To answer the white noise question - yes it can be a prop but it's a 'good' one in the sense it's easy to use, portable, and easy to wean by gradually reducing volume.  Many people here use it for years so I wouldn't avoid using it because of prop worries. You can use it for naps and not nights, that's fine, many babies go to sleep differently during the day than they do at night.

In terms of day/night differentiation, just expose him to light in his (waking) daytime hours, don't let him sleep excessive lengths at a time and then at night keep things dark with minimal interaction even if feeding or changing.  Usually that's enough for them to work it out :) a simple bedtime routine before night sleep is also a good habit to start early - something like bath, feed, bed - which can then develop and change as your LO gets older to include things like teeth brushing and a story.

Offline SusieQue

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 11:17:52 am »
Thanks for the reply Jessmum! As it turns out he didn't go to sleep anyway this morning so it's back to the drawing board! We already have a good routine at night of bath, bottle and bed which seems to be working, I'm just starting to second guess myself about everything at the moment! Like whether I should be persevering with having him nap in his crib if the likelihood is that we may be out and about with my 4YO? I was hoping I'd be a bit more relaxed with this one but the same routine anxieties are kicking in already!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Is white noise a prop?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 19:27:52 pm »
Not the 'by the book' answer but I was way more chilled about naps with my second, APOPed most in the sling for the first 10-12 weeks. Tried on and off for for naps in the crib but didn't push it too much. To be honest I'm not totally convinced that true self-settling ability comes until at least the 10-12 week mark, and props don't seem to cause too many issues before then anyway. I say take it easy and get out and about-saved my sanity with two!!