Author Topic: 11 week old wakes after 45 minute  (Read 1100 times)

Offline swissmant

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 16, 2015, 16:23:31 pm »
Hi

My wife and I have been following EASY as best we can for about 6-7 weeks with our daughter who is now 11 weeks old. She's been doing pretty well, but has developed the habit of waking up 45 minutes after going to sleep. I've looked at other people who have reported this problem, but our routine is not exactly the same, so I wonder if anyone has any input on what we can improve. It is getting quite frustrating and I think we've also made the pacifier a prop now.

7am-7.30 E
7.30 - 10 S (we don't do activity at this time as she is still in 'sleeping mode'!)
10 - 10.30 E
10.30 - 11.30 A
11.30 - 2.00 S - although we this is her sleeping window, she will wake up 45 min later and take about 30 to 40 min to fall back asleep for another 45 min. Most days we go for a walk in the stroller at this time and she will sleep through and have a good nap of 2-2 1/2 hrs.
2.00 - 2.30 E
2.30 - 3.15 A
3.15-5.30 S - similar to her earlier nap, this is her sleeping window but 95% of the times she will wake up 45 min after she went down. We try to calm her down and if we are successful she will sleep for another 20 min, the rest of the time she is pretty fussy and will spend about 40 min crying on and off. By the time it gets to 5.15 or 5.30 if she is not asleep we will pick her up for her next feed.
5.30-6 E
6 - 6.30 A
6.30-8.30 S - sameas her nap at 3.15. She will fall asleep fairly easily and wake up after 45 min. Most of the times crying as if she is still tired. It is hard to calm her down and if she does she will only sleep for about 20 min at most. 
8.30 - 9 E
9-9.30 A (bath)
9.30-11 S - She falls asleep very easily and sometimes she will last 50 or 55 min instead of 45 min.
11-11.30 E (dream feed)
11.30-7 S

She usually sleeps for about 6.30 - 7 hours at night - the times here are just rough averages of when she does things.

She will fall asleep without the pacifier often for the night sleep, and often after the 7am feed, but we give her the pacifier for her naps and she falls asleep fairly quickly. She does NOT usually wake after 45 minutes for the night sleep and usually not for the 7am feed. However, with the other feeds it seems as though she spits out the soother and then wakes up. Sometimes she'll fall asleep again if we sit with her for 20 minutes, other times she does not. We've tried leaving her when she wakes but she tends to become fussy and then has trouble relaxing to sleep afterwards. During the night, she sometimes moves around / gets noisy around 5am, but if we put the pacifier in, she will usually settle down at that time for another hour or two.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 11 week old wakes after 45 minute
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:32:02 am »
Hi there and welcome to BW!  There are a few suggestions I can make that might help your LO get some better sleep.  I do want to quickly mention that most babies go through a phase, somewhere between 3-5 months, where they do nothing but short naps.  It is brutal and exhausting and then it is gone as quickly as it arrived.  With that in mind, let's dig in!
I noticed your A times vary a bit, particularly in the morning.  Most babies of her age are awake for an hour and twenty minutes, to an hour and a half.  If you could push that morning A time out, even so she's awake for an hour, you'll probably notice an improvement.  You need to help your baby learn when it is day time and when it is night time, so when you basically only wake her, feed her and put her back to sleep, it makes it seem like it's a NW, which is not.  The other thing I noticed is that her day is much too long.  The bath should be happening much earlier in the evening, somewhere soon after the third nap, and then she's in bed, receiving the DF while still asleep.
It's great that she's sleeping through the night, it's so much easier to deal with short naps when you're not exhausted!     

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Offline swissmant

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 15:56:55 pm »
Hi and thanks for your response. We had not heard about the phase of short naps!

We were confused about the A time and whether it was total awake time for E + A, but having read your comments and the link you posted, it is clearly a target for A time. This goes back to our pre-BW days when we'd keep her awake for 2 hours + every feed and she was OT.

Should we ignore her tired cues and just try to keep her awake for the 1h20 or 1h30? She will often yawn 3 times at 45 minutes of A time and we take that as a sign that she should be put in the crib.

We're going to tweak the other things too, but wanted to find out about these sleep cues first. It is definitely nice that we get a good time of sleep through the night.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 11 week old wakes after 45 minute
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 19:04:14 pm »
Definitely keep an eye out for the tired cues!  I don't want you to stop reading your baby because that's the cornerstone of Tracy's philosophy.  What I would recommend, however, is that if you get those yawns, try to just switch activities, because sometimes yawns are from boredom.  Also keep in mind that the A times are Eyes Open to Eyes Shut.  Within the A time you are feeding, changing diapers (possibly twice  ::)), maybe singing a little action song, reading a book and just having a little chat.  At this young age, photos on the wall and shadows can be riveting!