Author Topic: Going to a course over a weekend and need to leave BM at home - how?  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Jiinx

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
Hey all!
 I'm really excited that I am getting a chance to continue my Pilates education. I'm certified in Matwork but I'm taking the plunge and doing equipment training (reformer)!
Despite my excitement, I'm a little nervous leaving my DS at home for the whole afternoon and evening. He's EBF! He's never had a bottle. It's not so much I'm worried he won't take a bottle it's more - how do I pump enough milk to get him through the day? I believe he would need one in the early afternoon and definitely one after his nap and maybe some more as the evening pans out. How do I get the milk from here *points to her breast* to a bottle? I know to pump - but when would I pump? How long? How do I get enough of it? My course is for three days from 11:30 to 8:30pm! Gah! Oh he's turning 1. He also is on solids.

Thanks in advance lovelies.  :-*

Sarah
*Sarah*

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Going to a course over a weekend and need to leave BM at home - how?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 22:28:06 pm »
Is he ssttn? If so I'd pump just before you go to bed and/or if you are very full in the morning after the first feed. I'd pump as long as you can or until the milk stops or slows down a lot.

How long do you have before you go?

I'd definitely try offering alternatives now so you can see how he take it.

If you dont manage to pump enough you could also offer cows milk or even formula since he is around 1yo.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 05:47:14 am »
Hi Ali!
 Thank you so much for replying. I'm starting the day courses on Friday. I'll manage to feed him in the AM and at night when I come home. I think it's more for me to feel better about leaving if I leave some breast milk for him! :D

So do I pump the night before? Start pumping now and collecting it? I would imagine it's not fresh by the time Friday rolls around though..

When do I pump my milk? I won't have time in the morning as I'll have to rush off friday, saturday and Sunday...

sarah
*Sarah*

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 07:34:26 am »
Can keep fresh in the main body of the fridge for 5 days :)

Further CDC guidelines: http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/handling_breastmilk.htm

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 08:59:04 am »
I'd start pumping as soon as possible so you can see how much you can pump in one go and build a stash. If you start today it should be ok on Friday but you can always freeze it for up to 6 months if you are worried that is at the end of the 5 days.

Will you be pumping while you are on the course? The time you miss feeds is the best time to pump as you will be fuller and it will keep your supply up as well as keeping you comfortable. Evenings before you go to bed would be good if he sleeps through and won't be waking to feed for at least a few hours. Any time you have time though really.

If you've not tried pumping recently you may find you can't pump large amounts so I'd start as soon as you can. You might be fine but many people find they get less from the pump as their baby gets older.

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 03:30:15 am »
Hi all!
 Yes, he does STTN :)

I pumped just now after his last feed and I got almost 1.5 oz. How much does a baby drink at a feed? I didn't think to pump at the course, but that does make sense. I'll take it with me and see if I can do it. I could sit here and let the machine suck milk out of me, but I'm not sure I'd get much? I'm not sure what the goal is? He would need at least two bottles. Probably not more. So I need 6 bottles for the three days!

*Sarah*

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 11:20:22 am »
My DD takes 4oz in the day but has been known to take 8oz at BT. She can make do with 4 though. They can fill up on solids now really so any shortfall will not be a big issue I shouldn't have thought.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 20:44:33 pm »
And maybe he can be brought to you if you're concerned? Feed him in a break? I organised a conference when LO was  5 mos (not my most sensible move) and we combined pumping and bringing him in. Worked fine.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 22:41:21 pm »
If you're worried about not having time to pump in the morning - could you pump one side whilst feeding from the other? I've done this a lot - actually with DS it was the only way I could let down for the pump at all! Hope the course goes well :-*

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 03:42:32 am »
My DD takes 4oz in the day but has been known to take 8oz at BT. She can make do with 4 though. They can fill up on solids now really so any shortfall will not be a big issue I shouldn't have thought.
I just realized you had another baby! Congratulations!
Silly question..can I add last night's milk to tonight's? It'll be used by Friday

And maybe he can be brought to you if you're concerned? Feed him in a break? I organised a conference when LO was  5 mos (not my most sensible move) and we combined pumping and bringing him in. Worked fine.

I wish..that would be a lovely idea! My course is 1.5-2 hrs away..would take 3.5 hours to go and come back with my other DDs..

If you're worried about not having time to pump in the morning - could you pump one side whilst feeding from the other? I've done this a lot - actually with DS it was the only way I could let down for the pump at all! Hope the course goes well :-*

Thank you!!!
He feeds on both sides..would he get enough milk when he switches? He really likes BM :p
*Sarah*

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 07:39:33 am »
Yeah, he's more efficient than the pump, so pumping one side first and letting him have 1.5 sides so to speak shouldn't reduce his intake too much IMHO.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 12:16:29 pm »
Yes, she just turned one before Christmas. (I need a new ticker!) Thank you.

You can add freshly pumped milk to chilled milk or frozen milk but you should ideally bring it down to the same temperature as the previously stored milk (chilled or frozen) otherwise it will warm the stored milk up. I doubt it would make much difference though to be honest. I was reading on Kellymom A while ago about research done on breastmilk that had been chilled and warmed up and then chilled and reheated again. It didn't contain significantly more bacteria than milk that had remained chilled so it's just a case of better to be overly cautious I think. I often reheat breast milk if my DD doesn't want it.

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 21:24:42 pm »
okay, awesome! Thanks so much!

Can I pool all the fridge milk together if they're the same temperature? I have roughly 6oz now..so enough for tomorrow I hope.

I went to the paed today - she mentioned rather than use a bottle (because he's never had before) to just use a sippy cup? What do you think? And warm? cold?

sarah
*Sarah*

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 21:31:24 pm »
I'd personally just store the milk in separate bags according to which day you pumped them, regardless of how many pumping sessions you had that day, but I wouldn't see the need to mix them until they're used? Also if your fridge isn't quite as cold as it should be then at least if any of the older milk goes a bit funny (you'll smell it!) then it won't ruin the whole lot - just my own opinion though.

Neither of mine ever took a bottle but went straight to a sippy cup around 6/7mo with no problems - does he already take water in one? DH warms the milk as that's what they're used to from bf. Also mine preferred softer spouts as I guess that's closer to the bf experience? But I'm sure a hard spout would be fine too if that's what you have. Actually when DD first took my milk from a cup, she really wasn't sure at all at first, until DH took the spout right off and she could kind of lap it from the open cup - once she realised what it was in there, she also realised she could actually get more milk (rather than spill it everywhere!) by using the spout.

Btw Sarah, there's no reason you'd remember me from 5 years ago but I was in a really dark place then and will always be so grateful for the help you gave me on here with DS's sleep during that notorious 3-4mo phase, so thanking you publicly :D :-* Lovely to see your beautiful family growing :)

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 09:07:35 am »
Definitely try the sippy cup. We used a Nuk which my bottle free baby was v happy to take
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.