Author Topic: 3 weeks old and crazy long A times  (Read 4199 times)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: 3 weeks old and crazy long A times
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 10:39:30 am »
It is much needed right now. He really enjoyed it too!

I think you're right, and actually I do have a need myself to hold him. I spent so much of my pregnancy being terrified of the birth that I didn't really experience the joy of carrying him (whole other post there) so now that this huge hurdle is over I could do with a chance to hold him and experience that feeling.

I think I'm panicking! Hormones and exhaustion are getting to me and it's hard to stay calm - especially as I think we had a big growth spurt yesterday. This morning I fed him and ran out of the house to do the horses while dh stayed home. Felt wobbly (my body is struggling) so very glad to come home to a sit down! And DH had managed to carry him to sleep, then sort washing and clear up the kitchen. Gold star for him!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 16:22:55 pm »
So now is your chance to rest up a bit ... And that includes resting your mind by going out when you want to .
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 19:24:51 pm »
Well, who knew? I decided to start taking DS2 to the yard with me while I have backup (DH at home this week). Popped him in the sling and he slept beautifully! At home I'd be pacing the floor to get him to go off but at the yard I just got on with the jobs and off he went with no effort from me. Now that was the mental break I needed! Fresh air, time with my horses and conversation :). The only thing I'd really struggle to do with him in the sling would be rugs, which is a shame because my big horse would love a groom.

I did the same today. Came home to DH having sorted the house, done some cooking and changed the bed, so we could all head out to the park later.

It does bother me when he doesn't nap. Yesterday he managed two naps, four (two short) today and I'm feeling a lot happier. I think that it is because he is clearly unhappy but just can't go off, and so I end up bringing feed times forward to try and cheer him up. I'm ok with some props but feeding to sleep is too close to messing everything up for me, and I really want to get him on a good feeding routine if nothing else.

I've decided to try and regard the next 6 weeks or so as observation time. Left to his own devices he's fallen asleep at around the 2hr mark most times, so I'm pretty sure he is very LSN. And I've got a feeling that his A times might only match up with his sleep needs when we get to four hourly feeds. Just a hunch!

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 01:28:13 am »
I feel similar about the feeding routine.  I can handle short naps, long A times, and OT fairly well but when her feeding gets off course because of those things it drives me batty because then I get a snacker all day with no proper feeds.  That's when I start second guessing myself too...is she hungry, or tired, or just cranky and needs a cuddle? You never know if they've been snacking all day!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 07:07:47 am »
Yep, exactly that!