Author Topic: 6 week old fighting naptime  (Read 713 times)

Offline KatherineSmithOK

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 19, 2015, 20:56:58 pm »
I'm a new mom attempting to get my 6 week old on a schedule. He does relatively good at night (only waking 1-2 times during the night), however during the day when I put him down after eating (he usually breastfeeds about 45 minutes) and activity time, he cries and cries. I know he's tired after eating because most of the time he is on the verge of sleep while feeding and I have to work at it to keep him alert for the activity period. Sometimes he cries the entire sleep period with me doing everything I can to calm him (I.e. pacifier, picking up to settle, rubbing his head, etc) so that he can get some sleep before I'm due to wake him up and feed him again. What is the recommended method for naptime fighters? I feel like him crying the whole time in his bassinet and then me feeding him ruins the whole concept of the EASY routine. Not to mention it breaks my heart and I fear him becoming over tired. I would appreciate any/all advice!

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 21:38:27 pm »
Welcome to the boards.

Just hold him, hun! He's very tiny. You don't need to be concerned about forming habits/props at this age. He'll ( and you'll) be doing well to get one nap starting in the bassinet. You can work on gently separating E and S as he gets bigger but for now there might not be much of a gap, and if there is, well, he might need a snuggle to get help him sleep. Work towards putting him down awake, but if he's mostly asleep (or even already there) don't worry. Take it one nap, one day at a time. The main thing is to avoid him getting so OT that he can't sleep. So take it easy on both of you, him crying is doing no one any good.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.