Author Topic: MY NEARLY 3 YEAR OLD CANT SLEEP THROUGH ANY MORE!  (Read 1381 times)

Offline AbbG

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
MY NEARLY 3 YEAR OLD CANT SLEEP THROUGH ANY MORE!
« on: January 23, 2016, 20:39:34 pm »
My nearly 3 year old son (3 in April) has started calling out to hubby and I when he wakes at night. He seems to either wake crying (screaming really) after a nightmare or, as he cant (or won't?) go back to sleep he calls hubby or I in. He'll say he needs a cuddle, has a sore throat, sore eyes etc and that he can't sleep.
We try to settle him down, explain cuddles are for night time etc and walk out. Most of the time he calls us back within minutes by yelling or crying. He's often awake for 1-2 hours.
If we hop into bed with him he'll go back to sleep a little quicker.
We can't really Just leave him as he wakes his 4 month old brother who already wakes twice a night.
We've tried bribery with chocolate but that only worked for a couple of days.
He has a gro clock and still has his dummy and hasn't had day sleeps in months - although could do with once in a while.
Any ideas?! We a really need to break this one!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: MY NEARLY 3 YEAR OLD CANT SLEEP THROUGH ANY MORE!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 19:42:19 pm »
Hi, what's his day look like, does he nap etc?
Zoe

Offline AbbG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 23:13:30 pm »
Hi,

Nah, he hasn't had a day sleep in months, although will nap in the car or at childcare (30 mins max - or he wont sleep that night).

He's up at around 6.30 - was 7.00 till we changed the clocks for daylight savings - as they groclock is set to that.

Bedtime is at 7pm, he's usually asleep by 7.30.

Last night he slept through as I promised him a special bubble wand if he went back to sleep by himself if he woke at night... worked like a charm!

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 03:03:53 am »
If he used to sleep through it may be still adjusting to a new brother. I would spend some one on one time with him in the day as much as possible. He can do it if the wand suggestion worked. What about a sticker chart of some sort? Does he need a night light maybe?

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:19:41 am »
What's his breathing like is he a mouth breather? The reason I ask is that mouth breathers are more likely to wake at night & to have mild glue ear which can become uncomfortable (not necessarily sore) at night & so they can wake up upset, so it might be worth looking to see if there is a health related reason ie he's had a cold & this all started after that etc.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline AbbG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 03:42:19 am »
He has had a cold, but I think this started well before the cold.

After observing him last night I'm pretty sure he's having night terrors / confusal arousal. He's inconsolable but has his eyes closed and can be quite grumpy. we'd been trying to console him which I think has been waking him which i read you shouldn't do.

I had promised him another little prize if he had another good night of sleep (was 2 in a row), however this didn't work last night - i'd suggest because he actually cant control the night terrors and when they occur.

It's good to have worked this out, but tough that there's actually nothing we can do to make this better!

I will keep an eye out as to if he is a mouth or nose breather and he does have a night light.

ta!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 06:10:14 am »
Hi that's good that you have an answer, night terrors can increase if lo is OT I think so maybe keep an eye on that and do a couple of EBT.

I think with night terrors like you've said your not supposed to really intervene, just make sure they are safe as they are unaware they are happening....tricky one as we had a couple and they are scary to watch.
Zoe

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 09:25:02 am »
I second some EBT to combat OT as that will make them worse.