Author Topic: Exhausted mum needs helps with 8month old 1-2 hr NWs  (Read 11113 times)

Offline Atomic1010

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Exhausted mum needs helps with 8month old 1-2 hr NWs
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2016, 20:36:24 pm »
Kellyjs - LO was 9 months old last week. The 3 hour first A time seems to suit him in the morning, probably as he is so tired from the rubbish night. I've tried increasing the A time between the morning and afternoon naps to see if that helps with the afternoon nap and it doesn't. His afternoon nap has been rubbish since the week before Christmas and I'm thinking I might do some sleep training with starting this weekend to see if we can get a better nap back for him. Wdyt?

Ali - thanks for reading through 4 pages of posts and your thoughts, it was very helpful. I will read up in wi/wo and am certainly open to trying that. I do think you could be right and that the NWs are caused by discomfort, and his reflux. I have a follow up paed appointment, from the time LO was poorly before Xmas and I saw that paed that was patronising, booked for 2 weeks time. I was going to cancel because I am expecting I will get the same rubbish about LO being on reflux meds and sleep training, but you have made me think that I should keep the appointment because if I am giving the sleep training my best shot and it changes something there could be an underlying medical reason for it all we need to get to the bottom of. Hopefully not!! We have tried omeprazole for his reflux which gave him wind, but I decided not to try Gaviscon and Domperidone but perhaps that needs reconsidering. He had awful colic until he was 5 months old and would literally scream for 3 hours every evening and I've read that babies with bad colic often have sleep issues even after the colic has gone.

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2016, 19:25:43 pm »
Hey there, just wondered how last night was and today? I really hope the doctor you see at the next appointment takes all the symptoms seriously and manages to get to the bottom of this probable discomfort - it's been going on for so long, hasn't it :-\ I also had an experience of my concerns re reflux being dismissed with DS, in hindsight I feel I should have pursued a second opinion since I've seen what a big difference the meds have made with DD. But it's so hard when a medical person makes you feel like there's nothing wrong and it's just you, especially when it's your first child (((hugs)))

Offline Atomic1010

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2016, 19:58:41 pm »
Hey trimbler - thanks I agree it's hard to ask either more questions or to question what a doctor says sometimes, and some doctors can be so dismissive. However, I did quite a bit of reading up on reflux from reputable websites last night and the gist was that reflux sufferers shouldn't wake at predictable times in the night, which is what LO does in that he wakes every two hours generally so maybe reflux isn't the issue?

Last night started off badly but after I fed earlier than planned at 10.30 he slept for 4 hours straight. I couldn't believe it and had to triple check the time on the clock!! He then woke every two hours roughly. Naps weren't great today. Don't know what happened this morning but he struggled to settle and I ended up bf to sleep for afternoon nap. It's sleep training for the afternoon nap tomorrow though  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 20:01:46 pm by Atomic1010 »

Offline Atomic1010

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2016, 08:44:58 am »
Still waking every 2 hrs :-(( so we've done 5 nights of sleep training - I've done the night weaning and got him down to two feeds and working on going to one from tonight. Why aren't I seeing any improvement yet?

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2016, 09:05:49 am »
Well done you, that's amazing progress. Every 2 hours I would still think something else is underlying here xx

Offline Atomic1010

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2016, 19:46:09 pm »
That's what I am worried about. It will be interesting to see if things change when he gets his next teeth through, which are oh so close. I will keep doing what I am doing in the meantime so at least I can tell the paediatricians I have tried. I don't think it's worth trying CCor wi/wo as half the time I feel I'm not doing anything to soothe him. He just rolls around his cot crying and doesn't seem to notice me :-(

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2016, 22:50:14 pm »
I understood that the reason refluxers might wake at regular times is because it is at certain points in the sleep cycle that they come into light sleep and become aware of the discomfort. Then instead of transitioning to the next sleep cycle they wake up fully.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Atomic1010

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2016, 19:36:45 pm »
Well that's what I thought too and it makes sense. It was referring to pain experienced in the night in general but I agree with you that reflux, and probably any pain, is more likely to be felt when in light sleep.

Anyway, LO did a 5 hr stint last night!!! Amazing and I really hope we will have another good night tonight and it's not a random one off..

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2016, 22:26:08 pm »
Fingers crossed
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2016, 00:28:09 am »
Wow that's a big improvement :D really hope you get more of those... :-*

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2016, 08:36:59 am »
Yay, fx for you here too  :-*

Offline Atomic1010

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2016, 09:20:28 am »
Thanks all unfortunately it was a one off and the longest he managed was a 3 hr stint from 7.15-10.30 and a 3.5hr stint from 11.30-3. I'm happy as it is better than before but was hoping for more!! Will keep plugging away at the night weaning and sleep training as I'm doing it. Still want to drop one of the night feeds.

Im thinking that as we are making some slight progress it might be time to move him out of my bedroom into his own room. Do you think it's best to move him so his first sleep in his new room is the morning nap or when he goes down for the night?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:25:28 am by Atomic1010 »

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2016, 20:00:08 pm »
I would actually try the first morning nap. And the other one too. Then it won't be so foreign to him at BT and if he wakes up in the night?

Well done you for keeping with it, honestly you're doing amazing. Let us know how the move goes xx

Offline Atomic1010

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2016, 08:48:37 am »
Thanks that sounds like a good idea. Not sure when we will move him - I was thinking this weekend as the cot will need to be disassembled as its too wide to fit through door. However, after last night I think a move might be on hold. Up at 10.30,12 and then 3-4.20 when he just couldn't get back off and went through periods of being quite awake to very upset. In the end he got so upset I fed him and he drifted off but woke briefly off and on for another 15 mins. Don't understand it  :(

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2016, 17:58:49 pm »
How's the days looking now? Xx