Author Topic: I need some help figuring out DS2, please  (Read 5034 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: I need some help figuring out DS2, please
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2016, 23:11:12 pm »
Yeah, the sling's great :) I must admit I'd sometimes try to encourage sleep at particular times even in the sling, if I noticed patterns with good naps happening after certain A times. I'd also sometimes try not to let them sleep too early if I knew that would give a short nap. Around this age I think I also had to block out some of the visual stimulation in order for them to actually switch off.

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2016, 09:55:46 am »
Yes, my sling has a hood but at this age he was still in a stretchy and I used to put my hand over his eyes or a light scarf.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2016, 11:45:29 am »
The sling generally helps - gives him the opportunity at least to sleep.

This morning he's done a 1hr45 and then a 45min A. After a good (11hr, two feed) night. Other days he will go much longer for that second A time. I don't get it, I really don't!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline sophsk22

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2016, 12:56:32 pm »
Hi,

I'm not sure that you'll pick this message up, but I was just wondering how you got on and if you have any tips? You could be describing my DD2. She's 4 weeks and we're really struggling to get her to nap in particular, or sleep for a decent stretch at night (she seems to have one three hour sleep from around 10.30 and then anything after that is never more than and hour and a half). She'll nap well if cuddled after a feed and sometimes in the sling or buggy, but it's hit and miss. She really struggles to sleep past the initial 10 minute mark otherwise , if we're luck enough to get her to that point. (it doesn't matter what we do during that time, continue rocking etc, she just can't stay with it and the eyes pop open. Cuddles on the sofa are lovely and everything, but not very realistic or fair as I also have a nearly two year old. Sometimes she likes the sling, other times (like today) she screams blue murder when I put her in it and won't settle.

Thanks,

Sophie

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2016, 19:21:42 pm »
Hi,

Yes, he's nearly one now. Where did the time go? I will try to recap our year, briefly.

The first three/four months I did all naps in arms or in the sling. His best nap was when I was out and about, continually moving. Nights were hit and miss, but a lot easier once I'd worked out that he needed to cluster feed for hours in the early evening.
The four month regression made a huge difference for us. His startles faded, and he could stay asleep longer. I started to try to get him to nap in his crib, and by six months he would settle himself...until he outgrew the crib and transferred to the cot.
The evenings were still full of many wakings. Once we moved him into his room at around eight months, we could be more consistent with his wind down and this again made a big difference.

He's not much of a napper really. He often goes all day on one 40 minute nap, but then he does a decent stretch at night (12 hours, generally), so it works out ok. He has slept through but has lost that at present, so is up a couple of times a night.

Does that help? Hope it gives you some hope!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015