Author Topic: What about premies?  (Read 693 times)

Offline txaggiemama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What about premies?
« on: December 31, 2015, 16:37:13 pm »
Hi all,

My LO was born 8 weeks early. He was in the NICU for 5 weeks. He just hit the 2 month mark and is starting to be more alert, so I was thinking of starting him on an EASY routine. Right now he nurses every 3hrs, so I want to help his sleep patterns to be more consistent. He'll sleep a lot in the morning the by the evening he wants to stay awake for 4 hours! Not ok. What should I expect since he is a premie? Should I treat him as his real age or what he should be (1 week)? Any other premie tips welcomed! And let me know if there is a better place for this post, I didnt see a premie board. TIA!
"Behold, Children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward." Psalm 127:3

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: What about premies?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 20:14:25 pm »
Hi there and congratulations on your new LO :) We'd normally expect preemies to require similar sleep/feeding patterns etc to others LOs of the same adjusted age, ie 1 week in your case. But bear in mind that all babies are different and 'average' A times are just that. Have a look here for sample routines for newborns, but bear in mind that he's still very young really, and the main thing at this age is to try and get some A to come after the E. Oh dear sorry have to go now, will just find that link and be back later if you have more questions :-*

chronological EASY samples, 0-3 months