Author Topic: Lost the lunchtime nap  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 01, 2016, 12:54:26 pm »
Lo since about 13 weeks has always settled from awake for naps in her cot. She would go for over 2 hours in the morning and then again around lunchtime if we were at home, then have a shorter cat nap before bedtime routine. She has hit the 4 month growth spurt and naps have gone awol.
Over Xmas has been hard with relatives etc, and we have had several ot meltdowns!
Last 2 days she has recovered her morning nap, but the lunchtime one is back to 30 mins on the dot!
Yesterday she was with oh at home and had a serious meltdown when he put her in the car seat to go out. She had woken early from the nap so her thought some fresh air and a trip in the car might help bless him. When I got home she was passed out from crying on his knee, then woke bang on 30 mins again.
I ended up co sleeping a nap after her 3pm feed to try and catch her up. She slept for 2 hours, but bedtime was hard cos I didn't know whether to have a really short 30 min awake time prior to it annoyed for a bit longer and maybe paid the price.
I'm now lying on the bed watching her on the monitor to see if I can master this lunchtime nap. I an tempted to co sleep it again just til she's more settled.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Lost the lunchtime nap
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 03:59:19 am »
Ugh, holidays are so hard on LO's.  They have no idea what's going on and all the added excitement can be just too much.  I would suggest you stick with your routine and give her a chance to get her bearings again.  How long is she awake for now? 

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 13:28:04 pm »
I lifted her and Co slept fort he rest of the lunchtime nap, she was so tired bless her. We were out for her last cat nap which she had in the car and I did bedtime about an hour after, but still think this is too long. We take her for a bath about 6:15pm then last feed half 6 then straight to bed, drowsy but aware. This is the only time she is sleepier going down. All naps she is awake and settles self.
She is having a growth spurt at the min. I am having to take extra milk up for the last feed cos she's draining 9oz!! She won't settle without that last extra ounce or more!! Hubby's mim said he was the same!!

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 01:56:16 am »
Sometimes LOs do need BT pulled back a bit for a few days after a busy stretch like Christmas. Co-sleeping to help her catch up is a good idea if she needed the sleep. Hopefully once she's caught up on sleep a bit that nap will sort itself.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 03:35:46 am »
I agree!! ^^ If she needs those calories and a little extra help, dole it out.  I find the holidays exhausting and I'm a fully grown woman! (Physically.  Mentally I'm not 100% sure  ;))

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 20:12:02 pm »
Thanks guys, ended up out yesterday and at mums today so two short cat naps at lunchtime. I Co slept the cat nap to let her have a bit longer, but still got bedtime wrong and I'm kicking myself now  :'(
She got so overtired and upset, I felt awful.
Tomorrow we are staying home and I will Co sleep the lunchtime nap and try the earlier bedtime and see how I get on.
I know it's cos she's nap transitioning. She's been on a four hourly four feed routine for a few weeks, but isn't quite able to stay awake for the full 2 hours without getting overtired. She can manage an hour and a half before morning nap and hour forty five after that. I'm hoping in a week or so she will be able to stay awake longer and then her naps may improve. Til then I'm happy to snuggle up and help out my little munchkin.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 01:51:01 am »
still got bedtime wrong and I'm kicking myself now 
Go easy on yourself. If you can, try not to think of it in terms of getting it right or wrong. I find more neutral statements like "I guess I missed the bedtime boat" help lower my stress and anxiety. Remind yourself that you are doing your best at a very tough job.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 11:16:20 am »
Thank you. It doesn't help that I am suffering with post natal depression and anxiety at the min, started medication but not kicked in yet. I suppose I am like any other parent I want to get things right for a happy baby. And she is a happy baby when she's well rested so I think that's why I'm a bit obsessed about her sleep. I know I need to stop trying to control everything, it's just my brain won't let me at the minute and it's so frustrating  :'(
It's so hard not feeling like yourself  :'(

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 12:52:53 pm »
Just posting some hugs for you, sleep and naps are hard enough without having PPD/anxiety to handle as well :-*  I hope the meds kick in soon, I'm sure you're aware but the anxiety can actually get worse in the first couple of weeks on meds before getting better so take it easy on yourself.  Co-sleeping those naps sounds like a great idea for you both :)  And if you want some extra support do feel free to come and join us over on the PPD board Post Partum Depression xx

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 17:56:39 pm »
Thanks, I guess I was a little worried about introducing props again as little one is so good at self settling normally.
I like the cuddles if I'm honest too.

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 20:18:07 pm »
Had the day from hell  :'(
She slept in. Naps and feeds all over the place, refusing milk and now gone to bed very late for her and grumpy so who knows what lies ahead tonight.
Hey ho, does wonders for my pnd and anxiety  :'(

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 21:00:37 pm »
Lots more hugs for you, one day at a time :-* we're all here to hold hands and we've all had 'one of those days' (or a few!!) so just hang in there, you're doing a great job xx

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 22:19:55 pm »
Thanks again, just wish I felt better, feel like I'm missing so much with my little girl, despite being here in body  :'(
She is such an adorable baby, smiley and interactive. Hate feeling like a corpse!!

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 02:27:40 am »
it's just my brain won't let me at the minute and it's so frustrating 
I know that feeling. (((hugs))) for the tough day. I got some really good tips for dealing with anxiety from the ladies on here. Would you like me to link the thread for you?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 09:43:13 am »
Yes please x