Author Topic: 1st birthday cake?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Mcgrad2003

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 02, 2016, 16:56:44 pm »
My baby girl is turning one soon, & so far we haven't given her anything sweet.  We both have a sugar addiction that we need to break!  She's a very good eater with her diet including lots of vegetables.  We're a little concerned that if we give her cake on her birthday if she might become picky & stop eating so well.  Has anyone had this happen?  I'm thinking about making a cake that is not too sweet, so that could help. 

Offline Mcgrad2003

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 16:58:17 pm »
Aha, I just saw the first birthday cake topics under recipes.  I'll read there!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 1st birthday cake?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 18:30:25 pm »
If you come up with a new recipe please do add it to the birthday cake recipe thread :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 18:45:40 pm »
Tbh I don't think having cake the odd time will thow off a lo's diet that much. My DD3 had sweet stuff way sooner than her siblings but besides her chocolate addiction she isn't in to sweet things much - in fact she does not really like cake or icing! But that said an option with less sugar is a great idea.

I did find that regardless of what we fed them 2 of my 3 went through picky phases with food anyways (DD2 had food aversions so a totally different story).
Heidi

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 02:32:10 am »
I second everything Heidi said! I don't think a bit of cake will throw things off but I do always cut the sugar when I make cakes because I prefer them that way. I made chocolate cake for both of my LOs first birthdays and cut the sugar in half. You can also ice it will homemade whipped cream (adding as much or as little sugar as you want - I hardly sweeten mine) and decorate it with fruit. I did a beach ball cake like that for DDs second birthday and it was a huge hit with her.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014