Author Topic: Naps need to change.  (Read 2255 times)

Offline choc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: January 03, 2016, 14:23:30 pm »
Ds is 16 weeks now and I feel like I need to start sorting things out with regards to his naps. When he was a few weeks old I battled so hard to get him to sleep in his moses basket in his room but it really got me down and I discovered that he would sleep in his carrycot pushchair so I went with that instead. Then after a while he started taking  short naps, 30 to 45 mins but I could resettle by popping dummy back in and rocking pushchair.
However now at 16 weeks he is getting too big for the carrycot and is still waking early at every nap and I am getting fed up of rocking it! I would like to transition him to his cot (which he has never slept in) for naps but my problems are that I don't know how to resettle without rocking the pushchair and I have no idea what his a time is! My first never responded to shush pat so haven't ever used it before.
His a time was 1hr30 from quite early on so I think maybe he can handle slightly higher than average. Today I did 1hr45 for first nap and he pulled off a long one but woke a lot during it and had to be rocked a lot. Would he not wake mid nap if the a time was right? Or was that about right because he slept 2 hours and the mid waking is nothing to do with the a time?
Second nap I tried 1hr50 and he is still asleep now after 1hr30 but we have had to jump up and rock pushchair 3 times so far!
Sorry if all this seems muddled, probably because that's how I feel! I'm scared to transition to cot because I won't have the pushchair rocking to fall back on and I don't want to go back to my dark days of trying to get him to sleep in his room where I spend the day in a dark room crying  with a crying baby! That's how it was before I gave in and used the pushchair.
Anyway, any advice and support on the transition and on a times would be great, thanks.
Gemma

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
Re: Naps need to change.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:01:40 am »
Can you post your EASY and I'll see if he does need a bit of an A push?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 07:30:16 am »
Here is yesterday. These were new a times, pushed from his previous 1hr30.
Wu 6. 45
E 7.00
S 8.30 - 9, 9. 15 - 10.55 (lots of rocking pushchair to resettle between 9 and 10)
E 11.00
S 12.45 - 2.45 (lots or resettling)
E 3
S 4.45 - 5.15 couldn't resettle, was hoping for him to go to half 5.
Bt 7
I know the last A was too long.
DF 11.00
Awake in Crib 2am - 3am
Woke for dummy 5.30am
Woke for day 6.20 am
Gemma

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 19:25:14 pm »
Here is today
Wu 6.20 (but stayed in Crib in dark til 7 so I counted A time as half. Is that right? I was aiming for 1hr 50 a time)
E 7.00
S 8.30 (actually asleep at 8.35) to 10.40 with a quick resettle needed at 30 min mark and 1hr30 mark. I literally just popped dummy in though, no rocking needed yay!
E 11.00
S 12.30  (actually asleep at 12.35) til 2.30 but lots of resettling and rocking needed between 35 min and 1hr30 marks)
E 3.00
S 4.20 in car, eldest has swimming lessons) til 4.55.
Bt 7
Gemma

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 02:30:04 am »
It sounds like he's one of the babies that does better at resettling when a bit OT. It may be best to err on the side of a longer A time rather than shorter. He may like that second A time to be a bit longer. Do you feel that it's a prop issue?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 05:08:20 am »
I feel it could be a prop, but then he had such a good first nap with no rocking. Do you think my A times are OK then to make the move to the cot? How would I resettle? Shush pat? Or am I mad and should stick with pushchair?!
Also a quick one, can you see anything in my easy that would give NW from 2am to 3/4am where he is whining and unsettled and needing dummy a lot?
Gemma

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:56:45 am »
So last night I put him in a sleeping bag and swaddle strap over the top as I thought the long waking could be because he was cold. He still woke at 2 but went back to sleep with the dummy so hopefully that was the answer.
Back to the naps! Today he woke at 6.30am,stayed in his Crib in the dark til 7am. I put him in pushchair for the school run at 8.30 and he was  asleep by 8.40 (which is longer than he usually takes to  drop off on the school run) then he woke happy at 40 mins whilst I was still walking and didn't drop back off. I thought that A time was OK but obviously not?
Gemma

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 01:19:30 am »
It was around that age that both of my LOs started doing only 40 minute naps when out and about (unless they were totally exhausted). It is possible that he is ready for more A time than that - lots of LOs have a fairly big jump at that age.

Nothing stands out in your EASY as the cause of the NW. I would start trying to transition him to his crib soon. I think it will be easier now than when he's older. You also have more chances to make up for a short nap because he's still doing 3 naps - it would be tougher to do that on 2 naps. I would just start by moving him into the crib for one nap/day. It will likely take some trial and error to figure out what helps him settle. My DD always liked it when I jiggled the mattress by her head.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:58:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I feel like I am getting the A time right for his second nap and have been doing w2s too. Yesterday and today he stirred at 30 mins and I popped the dummy back in and he settled himself with no rocking.  If the same happens tomorrow then I will try for the nap in the cot as I will feel more confident knowing he can do it without the rocking.
Gemma

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 01:34:53 am »
Great idea to try w2s. Glad it's working.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 11:01:48 am »
I did it again today, I have been going I'm at 22/23 mins. It gets him past the 30min wu but then he woke at 45 mins anyway! Do I need to adjust the timings do you think?
Gemma

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 15:43:38 pm »
A times don't seem to be right now.  I woke him from his 2 hour nap this morning that I had to rock him through. And he barely made a 2 hour A afterwards. It feels like if I wake him from a nap then the next A time we be shorter. Is that normal?
Also I rocked him through all his naps so far today, I've pushed that buggy for like 3 hours. It's doing my head in. But if I go for the cot I'm terrified he won't sleep at all. I don't know how to resettle him. Also he is constantly rolling and I know if he had the space of his cot he would just keep rolling over all the time. What should I do?!
Gemma

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 15:40:02 pm »
I think at this point since you're frustrated anyway it's worth making the leap to the cot. Yes, it may be tough for a few days but then it will be done. If you keep on as you are I think  you'll be frustrated with the rocking, etc and then you'll still have the frustration of getting him to sleep in the cot. This way, it's all over sooner.

I would go with the A time that you think is best (or follow his cues), do whatever he likes for WD and put him in the cot. There may be rolling and not a lot of sleep at first but sometimes expecting that makes it easier to handle, yk? Leave him be if he's just playing or fussing and only intervene if he really needs you. I wouldn't wake him from any naps for now either. Use EBT to recover if a day goes sideways.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 18:57:14 pm »
I think you are right. I've got actual blisters on my hands from pushing it back and forth.
If he goes to sleep and wakes early do I try shush/pat?
Gemma

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 01:17:35 am »
If he goes to sleep and wakes early do I try shush/pat?
If you feel you have the energy to do it, I would give it a try but I would probably only try for 20-30 minutes before just getting him up and moving on with the day.

I hope it goes well!
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014