Author Topic: Tips for 2 week old EASY  (Read 801 times)

Offline Josi2015

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 03, 2016, 19:44:46 pm »
Hi all, I'm a brand new mum looking for a bit of advice about following EASY from the early days.

We have a lovely 2 week old DD (born 1 week past due date weighing 7lb5oz). She is feeding well (BF) and gaining weight nicely. We haven't figured out yet (or she hasn't decided  :P) whether she's textbook, touchy or spirited.

We are following an EAS pattern and want to establish a routine when the time is right, but we're not there yet and want to make sure we are doing what's right for a baby her age.

Her cycles vary from 2 to 3.5 hours. Her E time varies from 25mins to 45mins, and she usually starts getting sleepy after about 10mins feeding so we frequently have a nappy change halfway through to try to keep her awake long enough for a proper feed. We haven't managed to cluster feed or dream feed yet.

A time is usually very short, maybe a nappy change or a bit of coo'ing.

S time is the most variable. We haven't tried settling her in her cot awake yet as she still seems very young for this and just wants to cuddle. She generally falls asleep in our arms and we then put her into her Moses basket. During the day she has maybe 4 sleeps. Sometimes she will sleep for a long time and will sleep past the 3 hour mark when she is due a feed. At other times she will wake very soon (20-30 minutes) into a nap and will take a lot of effort to settle her again (shush pat and white noise).  At night she tends to wakes twice for feeding but the last few nights has been waking about 30mins after being put down in her Moses basket and has needed a lot of settling.

So my questions are:

1) Should we wake our LO for feeds if she sleeps through? If so, how long should we leave it?

2) If we should be waking her for feeds, should we still do this if she has not settled well so has only had a small amount of sleep?

3) Is it ok to let her fall asleep in our arms at this age or is this the start of AP'ing? When is it right to start putting her down to settle herself?

4) Are our A times long enough during the day?

I realise that these aren't as severe as some of the issues being talked about on here, but we want to make sure we're on the right track so thank you so much for any and all tips and advice!

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Tips for 2 week old EASY
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 21:24:56 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW forums - and indeed, to motherhood :D

It sounds like you're both doing really well to me :) Really, the first 6 weeks or so are about adjusting to the outside world for her, recovery for you, and establishing breastfeeding and milk supply for both of you. And of course just getting to know each other! Cuddles are great - enjoy them :) There won't be much A time at this stage, she just has a lot of feeding and growing to do, and I found that mine took so long over their feeds that the only A really was the nappy change - that's fine, and don't overlook that time as a time to connect and enjoy her, poo and all :P Sleep will likely be all over to place to begin with, that's completely normal don't worry!

In answer to your specific questions:

1) Yes, I wouldn't let her go more than 3h between the beginning of one feed and the beginning of the next, especially during the daytime. At night, opinions/advice vary as to whether or not to let them go longer, and I'm probably not best placed to answer that, but I personally used, as a rule of thumb, that if they're putting on weight well then after the first couple of weeks or so I'd let them go up to 5h at night - again from the beginning of one feed to the beginning of the next. Yes, I'd even set an alarm to make sure I woke up then if they hadn't, although in practice that was rare :P These first weeks are so important in establishing your milk supply, as well as her growth, and your breasts need the regular stimulation, even at night, in order to do this.

2) Ok I know what you mean here - so if for example she's up for 45mins, then sleeps for 30, wakes and takes another hour to get back to sleep, then sleeps 45mins, then you'll find yourself at 3h and wondering whether to wake her? Well at this age, she's still so young, I may have just offered a feed at the 2h mark, and then tried to get her back to sleep, but if she wasn't interested then I'd probably say that 45mins is a long enough time to wake her. I really wouldn't spend more than 45mins to 1h on trying to resettle her after a short nap though, and her first A time (from waking to feed, until she next goes to sleep) would ideally be 45mins max at this age, so the situation you describe shouldn't happen too often? Sorry not sure if any of that made sense?

3) as I said, enjoy those cuddles :) But be aware that if she always goes to sleep in your arms, then that is what she'll come to expect, and you may find it harder to 'wean' her from that the longer you leave it. Having said that, it's really up to you what you decide to do, you've obviously read the books so you know the tools that you can use to help teach her to sleep in her cot. You can start doing that right away - you may be surprised by how easily she settles, or you may find you have to do lots of work to help her to settle, but even if the latter, it will be laying the groundwork for later. What many parents here end up doing is picking one nap (or more) a day to settle them in the cot, using shh pat, and then APOP the rest eg by holding, using the sling or pram. I personally liked to use shh pat at BT, not because it was easy (it took aaaages!) but because I felt it kind of set the scene for the rest of the night.

4) Yes, definitely :) Have a look at this, you'll probably end up referring to it a lot during the first year ;) Average A times- BOOKMARK ME! Actually, some newborns will need more like 30-45mins in the first couple of weeks, a common cause of short naps or difficulty settling at this age is trying to push their A times too much.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 21:27:19 pm by trimbler »

Offline Josi2015

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 15:37:12 pm »
Hi Trimbler, thanks so much for such a detailed reply. The tips are really helpful and it was great to get some advice so quickly 😊. I think we'll try settling her in the cot for one nap a day, as you suggest, and see how that goes. Thank you!

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Tips for 2 week old EASY
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 19:42:58 pm »
Great, all the best with that, we're here when you need us :-*